Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > CR-V
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 12:41 PM   #1
LEM
AF Regular

Just Bought a 2011 CR-V EX-L

My wife wanted a CR-V, so we sold our 2009 Pilot and bought a CR-V EX-L. So far she is thrilled. Since I'm her mechanic, I'd like to know what if any quirks this car has from a routine maintenance aspect.

Apparently it comes with synthetic blend motor oil and the dealer will give us three complimentary oil & filter changes, each at a 5,000 miles interval. I plan on converting to full synthetic after that. With it being a four-cylinder engine, I'm wondering about the 0-20W weight motor oil they recommend. Seems like it'll be easier on the wear components at start-up, but I would have thought a higher viscosity would be in order at normal operating temperature. Perhaps that's why they went with a synthetic blend in the first place instead of organic oil; the synthetics have a higher film strength over a wider temperature range.

We did notice a slight vibration at about 60 mph, so I'm going to have the dealership rebalance the wheels; hopefully this will eliminate that.

Anything I should look out for in the first 5,000 miles?

I appreciate the input.
-2019 Subaru Ascent (the wife's)
LEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 07:05 PM   #2
dougbthom
AF Newbie

Re: Just Bought a 2011 CR-V EX-L

We have a 2010 CRV (new) and a new 2011 Pilot and are completely satisfied with both . They are an excellent vehicle. The only thing I could suggest to you is concerning the oil 0W-20. I don't like that idea at all and have been in touch with a "lubrication engineer" and he has been for over 18 years to discuss this very subject. I run a full synthetic oil in all my equipment as well as in both Honda vehicles and I use a 0W-30 Amsoil synthetic. I have been using their oil for about 13 years now in every vehicle I've owned and with outstanding results. I switched my 2011 Pilot over at 1500 Km's and the Crv at about 3000 Km's.
Don't worry about the dealer suggesting that you will void your warranty if you don't use their oil etc. That is an out and out lie. They can be reported for even suggesting that and will answer for it !
Hope this helps.
dougbthom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 07:22 PM   #3
Greenblurr93
Kind of a Big Deal

Send a message via MSN to Greenblurr93
Re: Just Bought a 2011 CR-V EX-L

you would be safe with a 5w-20 synthetic.. most car companies are going thinner oils to help with MPG, not taking into account the bit of extra wear it may cause... since in todays society, the avg consumer will get rid of the car in 5 years..

keep on top of regular maintenance and that car will last as long as you want it to.
Greenblurr93 is offline   Reply With Quote