Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Ram Pickup | Ram SRT10
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 08:31 PM   #16
90sabre
AF Regular

Re: (update) Water pump vs heater core

Quote:
Originally Posted by angus10
NAPA is a better option, but the stealer is best. After all this, I would get one from the dealer.And that will hopefully eliminate that as being the problem. Also make absolutely sure it is seated properly and facing the right direction.

Thanks again. I replaced the fan clutch today to eliminate that, got it from a junkyard but it seems to work well, definately more smooth than the original. Also, took the hose off to look at the t stat and it was stuck open, replaced it with a 180 degree stant that I already had(before i read your message but I may have to go to the dealer). Long story short, I still can't get the temp past that first notch above the 130 mark(150ish i'm guessing). Still hear gurgling and sloshing, no leaks, the engine will just not get warm.

Leo
99 Ram 1500 318 4X4
90sabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 07:00 AM   #17
90sabre
AF Regular

Quote:
NAPA is a better option, but the stealer is best. After all this, I would get one from the dealer.And that will hopefully eliminate that as being the problem. Also make absolutely sure it is seated properly and facing the right direction.
Thanks, I took the t stat out yesterday to take a look and it was stuck open, I replaced it with a 180 degree Stant(before I got your message) that I already had on hand. It seems to have stopped the flow when the engine is cool but I still cannot get it above 150ish. I get a little heat if I keep the blower on low at idle but once I start driving I lose most of the heat. I also replaced the fan clutch with one from the junkyard that seems to work better, but long story short, still no real heat, the engine just will not get warm.

Leo
99 Ram 1500 318 4X4
Old 11-18-2008, 03:26 PM   #18
angus10
AF Regular

How come you are using a 180 anyway? A lot of guys will use a 180 to gain a little performance, which is fine in the summer, but can have an obvious effect in the winter.
Old 11-18-2008, 10:06 PM   #19
90sabre
AF Regular

Quote:
How come you are using a 180 anyway? A lot of guys will use a 180 to gain a little performance, which is fine in the summer, but can have an obvious effect in the winter.

That's a good question and forgive me because I am really starting to learn here... I have heard conflicting stories about that - one saying that 180 will warm you up quicker because it opens quicker and that 195 lets the engine get up to temp before opening thus giving you more heat quicker. I guess I'm not truly sure how this is supposed to work. I appreciate the help and I know that you all know the history here. I am so frustrated and just don't know what to do. Other than the thermostat it seems to be a really bizarre unfixable problem. I love this truck and as it gets older I realize I need to fix things as I am doing, but this is crazy, i am so lost. Thanks for the replies.
Old 11-19-2008, 12:25 PM   #20
angus10
AF Regular

Get one from the dealer. I don't like the sounds of you installed one you had on hand. :-) And just for the record, you are installing it spring side down correct? And btw, put all the info about your truck in your sig. so it shows when you post. I try to help a lot of people on other forums also and it's hard to remember everyone.LOL Besides , even when I look at your profile it's says Buick. Which is not what where troubleshooting I hope. :-)
Old 11-24-2008, 09:51 PM   #21
90sabre
AF Regular

Sorry, it's definately not the Buick. So taking all the advice, I picked up a 195 thermo from Napa(i know, not the dealer), also installed a new fan clutch that works considerably better. Before installing the t stat, I notice out of nowhere that the water pump just started leaking, took it off and it was the weep hole, replaced it with a brand new one from Napa and now the truck gets up up temp and the cooling/heating system appears to operate properly. Seems to run right around 170(a little low still?), haven't had a chance to really test it too much as I just fixed it but I do get reasonable(not as hot as I would like) heat on all settings except the highest fan setting. The temp drops off when going to the high position. Also, it seems to be warmer when I am driving and accelerating moderately. All in all, huge improvement, still some air in there but I'm hoping this is the fix. Any other suggestions? Thanks to everyone!

Leo
99 Ram 1500 318 4X4
Buick is long gone-RIP
Old 11-25-2008, 07:41 PM   #22
Chris Stewart
AF - Advisor

Good work Leo!
You'll find the heater working better with the engine working/driving that just sitting idling...nature of the beast.

"Cornbread Red", 2001 Dodge 2500,4X4,HO Cummins Diesel,QC,SWB,6spd.,Banks boost&pyro,US Gage fuel press.,Edge Drag Comp,4"exh.,cowl hood, bhaf, black Holley pump, 140gph...13psi WOT, Vulcan Big Line, kevlar/ceramic single disc clutch, cheapo fuel cooler, 8x.010" vco injector nozzles, Cat turbo 62-65-.70A/R, 497hp 1089 tq 8/25/14

Time to turn so's you don't burn.
Chris Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Ram Pickup | Ram SRT10