Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Geo > General Discussion
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-28-2005, 04:53 PM   #1
jamesmetairie
AF Enthusiast

aamco = prizm a/t

ok. i finally got my car to aamco to check the slow shifting and loud humming noise.(usually itr cost about $75. , but for the holidays they,re doing it for free around here). they said where the c/v,s go into the side of the differentials there is a little wobbling and leakeage of a/t fluid.the differential is wore out. the whole a/t needs to be rebuilt for about $1800.( and they,ll kiss you when it,s over). keep in mind i only paid $925. for the whole car.if noise gets unbearable i,ll get a used a/t from japan. asap in houston says they stock em. anyone else have differential troubles??
jamesmetairie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 07:32 PM   #2
SteadFast1
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to SteadFast1
Re: aamco = prizm a/t

yep, my neighbor said the same thing happened to my prism(92') it needs a new diff. but why not do the trans. and engin at the same time?! the thing has 288k on it! my neighbor took out the old one and junked it already though...if i cna find just a diff. ill be happy too and not need a new engin/trans.

--Jake
SteadFast1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 02:30 AM   #3
jamesmetairie
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: aamco = prizm a/t

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteadFast1
yep, my neighbor said the same thing happened to my prism(92') it needs a new diff. but why not do the trans. and engin at the same time?! the thing has 288k on it! my neighbor took out the old one and junked it already though...if i cna find just a diff. ill be happy too and not need a new engin/trans.

--Jake
consider buying a low mileage used automatic transmission from japan. japan domestic market(jdm). alot of companys all over the usa import them. the big east coast importer is in virginia(mannassasa?)i think it will cost you about $400. if you go there ti pick it up. if your interested i,ll look up the phone # or you can surf for it.by the way, there,s a company in califorinia called "nippon motors,jdm" that sells a replacement engine for your car. they had a special for a long time now on that engine. it,s like $250. or less.
Old 01-14-2006, 12:29 PM   #4
SteadFast1
AF Newbie

thank you very much for the information
--Jake
Old 01-14-2006, 01:12 PM   #5
SteadFast1
AF Newbie

www.nippon-motors.com/toyota.htm

what transmission would fit the 4A-GE engin? i want an 4-speed auto.

--Jake
Old 01-15-2006, 10:16 AM   #6
jamesmetairie
AF Enthusiast

swap to 4 speed a/t #@%^&=not advisible. i,ve got the hots for a 4 speed a/t for my base model,1.6 litre prizm. nippon in l.a. says it will fit ,but that it,ll burn up in a couple of months. some discussion about swapping to a 5 speed stick on this forum recently. a/t to stick swap will work if you have a whole parts car and a good shady tree mechanic.
Old 01-18-2006, 09:46 PM   #7
SteadFast1
AF Newbie

will a 3-speed auto. fit on a 20 valve 4A-GE? on just a 16 valve?

i may just replace to OE standards (4A-FE 16v with a 3 speed auto.) save some money but compremise preformence which i would like.

i see what you mean about the 4 speed a/t, it seems risky and a/t to m/t, i dont know it seems hard and might not be relible. i think im going to try to turn my base 92' prism into a gsi...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_...20-valve_4A-GE
this is what im using as my information, but i still need to know the name of the transmission.

--Jake
Old 01-18-2006, 10:06 PM   #8
bigirb2002
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to bigirb2002 Send a message via MSN to bigirb2002 Send a message via Yahoo to bigirb2002

well i just swapped in a 4age20v with auto 4 speed tranny. an it came with the 4 speed tranny. it runs strong. i dont believe the bs about it burnin up because i had a rolla with a 4afe that came with a 4 speed an i abused the shit outa itt an it never failed. eve trew it in reverse will doing about 40(was drunk sorry lol). a 20v 4age with a 3 speed is hindering performance greatly . an its recommended to use the 4 speed tranny or 5 speed with 4age silver top 20v
bigirb2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 10:33 AM   #9
SteadFast1
AF Newbie

where do i find a 4 speed a/t? and a 4A-GE 20v? i have a budget of $1000. and i have a lot of people i know who can help me swap it in. the hard thing for me right now is being sure i have every thing i need for the (a) engin swap: ecu, wiring harnes, mounts, iginion, and other small details. will what i get have all that goes with it or do i have to go track them down. sorry about the questions i just want to do my homework on this and make sure something dosen't break later down the road.

--Jake

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Geo > General Discussion