Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-19-2005, 03:41 PM   #1
Bungee
AF Newbie

Do Silverados have power steering problems?

I have a 2000 Z71 Offroad with 112,000 miles on it. I baby this thing, but lately I sometimes notice a slight "friction" when turning left--feels a lot like when power steering fluid is low.

But the power steering resevoir is full. And the steering fluid is brand new.

The "friction" feel is ONLY when turning left. And it doesn't happen all the time--but when it does, it's usually most pronounced when the engine has run for a long time.

I recall some members talking about power steering problems with the Silvys. And I've heard GM may have a recall coming up with the hydraulics system.

I'm wondering if a bolt has worked itself loose. Haven't thoroughly checked out that theory yet, though.

I'd like to head off a problem if possible. Any idea as to what's going on here?
Bungee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 09:16 PM   #2
busta
AF Regular

wel

just a thought do a check for a TSB maybe goggle it? but i havent heard nothing..sorry
-class A mechanic
-heavy eqipment mechanic
-equipment operator
-mig,tig,arc welder
-lemon silverado owner
-pistonslap.com
busta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 12:02 PM   #3
rrousou
AF Regular

You sure bet they do...its called rack and pinion steering...spelled JUNK. maybe good for cars but not for trucks. I've replaced a lot of these units in the past but cant recall ever replacing the recirc ball type. other than an ocaisonal seal. I believe the 2500 series still have the heavy steering system
rrousou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 12:25 PM   #4
busta
AF Regular

oh

well bungee isnt too specific but when he says z71 i assume 4x4? there for even 1500 came with steering box,pitman arm,idlerarm,relay rod to tie rod ends...the 2 wd drive comes with rack.
-class A mechanic
-heavy eqipment mechanic
-equipment operator
-mig,tig,arc welder
-lemon silverado owner
-pistonslap.com
busta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 01:28 PM   #5
zonk3939
AF Newbie

Re: Do Silverados have power steering problems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungee
I have a 2000 Z71 Offroad with 112,000 miles on it. I baby this thing, but lately I sometimes notice a slight "friction" when turning left--feels a lot like when power steering fluid is low.

But the power steering resevoir is full. And the steering fluid is brand new.

The "friction" feel is ONLY when turning left. And it doesn't happen all the time--but when it does, it's usually most pronounced when the engine has run for a long time.

I recall some members talking about power steering problems with the Silvys. And I've heard GM may have a recall coming up with the hydraulics system.

I'm wondering if a bolt has worked itself loose. Haven't thoroughly checked out that theory yet, though.

I'd like to head off a problem if possible. Any idea as to what's going on here?
Its absolutely the steering gear box.My 99 Silverado did the same exact thing..then it got so hard to turn left it was like it had no power steering.I changed the Steering Gear box ($199 @ Autozone) and its perfect now..easy to change too.
zonk3939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 09:23 AM   #6
Bungee
AF Newbie

Re: oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by busta
well bungee isnt too specific but when he says z71 i assume 4x4? there for even 1500 came with steering box,pitman arm,idlerarm,relay rod to tie rod ends...the 2 wd drive comes with rack.
You're right. Should've specified it's the 4x4 Offroad 1500.

Good news if a replacement can be had for $200 at Autozone, AND is an easy install.
Bungee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 11:30 AM   #7
DonnieKropp
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Do Silverados have power steering problems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonk3939
Its absolutely the steering gear box.My 99 Silverado did the same exact thing..then it got so hard to turn left it was like it had no power steering.I changed the Steering Gear box ($199 @ Autozone) and its perfect now..easy to change too.
What is involved in changing this gearbox? Can someone with general mechanical skills do it or do I need anything special?
DonnieKropp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 01:23 PM   #8
99redsilverado
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungee
You're right. Should've specified it's the 4x4 Offroad 1500.

Good news if a replacement can be had for $200 at Autozone, AND is an easy install.

yall show me a z71 thats not 4x4 , all of them are.

'99 Silverado 4 x 4
bunch of goodies
99redsilverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 12:17 PM   #9
KCO
AF Newbie

Your situation sounds alarmingly similar to mine - exact same symptoms. I just had the gearbox, pitman arm, idler & wheel bearings replaced on my 2000 Z71 8 months ago by a GM dealer. At the time I had around 85k miles on it The Genuine GM gearbox has already gone out again with around 104k miles. Of course Generous Motors only warranties the replacements for one year, 12,000 miles. I hear that the re-man's have the same warrenty & are much cheaper.

I'm going to try replacing this one on my own.
KCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 04:11 PM   #10
masapell
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99redsilverado
yall show me a z71 thats not 4x4 , all of them are.
Great point! Now, I have been meaning to ask this, but where did you get those great looking wheels? And, how much did that set you back?

Sincerely,

Matt
Old 02-16-2006, 01:20 PM   #11
silverado122775
AF Enthusiast

I have about 140K miles on my 2000 Silverado Z71. I am noticing some friction in my stering as well. Mostly when I am at a stand still, it is almost as if the power sterling is gone.. After reading the posts, I am wondering if I am having the same problem? It's not all the time though

2000 Silverado Z71, 5.3L, K&N GenII Air Intake, Y-pipe Exhaust (no muffler), Bosch Platnium +4 plugs, 242k miles and still running.
silverado122775 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 07:52 PM   #12
scottZ71
AF Newbie

I have 2002 Z71 with the exact same problem while the truck is stopped or moving slowly. I had it in the dealership twice and each time they would look at me like I am crazy and say they are not able to duplicate it. Each time the dealer told me to check the air in then tires. From the amount of pressure I had to use to turn the wheel I would have been on the bead.
scottZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to scottZ71 For This Useful Post:
dimondros (07-26-2015)
Old 07-25-2015, 04:05 PM   #13
dimondros
AF Newbie

silverado can't steer at low RPM

I have a 2000 Silverado 1500, and am just getting the 5th power steering pump installed - but on test drive, the problem hasn't been resolved. For about 10 yrs, the power steering is reduced greatly or is completely inactive at low RPM (under 1000). Parking and maneuvering is almost impossible. Each time, the mechanics tell me it is the power steering pump, and while it is improved somewhat after replacement, it gradually becomes more difficult to turn the wheel, down to full on manual steering. What is the relationship between the level of the RPM, and the function of the pump? could there be a blockage, or some restriction to the creation of pressure in the pump? Please help if you can, I'm not a mechanic, but I can understand whatever you tell me, and appreciate any suggestions. thank you!
dimondros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 09:10 AM   #14
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Re: silverado can't steer at low RPM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimondros View Post
I have a 2000 Silverado 1500, and am just getting the 5th power steering pump installed - but on test drive, the problem hasn't been resolved. For about 10 yrs, the power steering is reduced greatly or is completely inactive at low RPM (under 1000). Parking and maneuvering is almost impossible. Each time, the mechanics tell me it is the power steering pump, and while it is improved somewhat after replacement, it gradually becomes more difficult to turn the wheel, down to full on manual steering. What is the relationship between the level of the RPM, and the function of the pump? could there be a blockage, or some restriction to the creation of pressure in the pump? Please help if you can, I'm not a mechanic, but I can understand whatever you tell me, and appreciate any suggestions. thank you!
how often do you grease ALL those front end steering components ? also replacing the power steering fluid is needed every 7yrs . you may have a belt issue tension-er or the wrong belt slippage when turning. the steering gear box may be worn . this happens when the wheels wack curbs or are turned into them .
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to j cAT For This Useful Post:
dimondros (07-26-2015)
Old 07-26-2015, 05:51 PM   #15
dimondros
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by j cAT View Post
how often do you grease ALL those front end steering components ? also replacing the power steering fluid is needed every 7yrs . you may have a belt issue tension-er or the wrong belt slippage when turning. the steering gear box may be worn . this happens when the wheels wack curbs or are turned into them .
I'm sure I haven't had the front end steering components greased as often as needed, and the power steering fluid probably only got changed each time a new pump was installed. This time, a new steering box was installed in addition to the new (recon) pump. Still no better - they have kept the truck because I can't physically turn it at low RPM (like turning a corner in town, or parking). They are going to try another pump (not recon, - factory new), but I'm afraid this won't help either. Any other ideas? Thanks so much for you time and thoughts.
dimondros is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado