Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-23-2004, 12:06 PM   #46
busta
AF Regular

yo

well maybe fankendart is driving a 4.8 in that case ya you'll see a big difference perhaps i should re-vamp this post to HEMI 5.7 VS VORTEC 6.0 and now tell me hemi has WAY more power? anyone??
-class A mechanic
-heavy eqipment mechanic
-equipment operator
-mig,tig,arc welder
-lemon silverado owner
-pistonslap.com
busta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 02:24 PM   #47
chevytrucks92
AF Enthusiast

Re: 5.7 Hemi V.s 5.3 Vortec

Everybody says their Silverado's are all the time in the shop, but hardly anyone says what for.

So, what for guys?

Wrecks and routine maintenance don't count (2.5 weeks seems like along time to me for a mechanical problem at a professional garage).

355 SBC, Turbo 400, 5.13 gear, IHRA Certified to 8.50 in the 1/4
Last Race (10-6-07) So its been awhile...
Dial: 6.77, RT: -.0001, 60': 1.4360, 1/8th: 6.7942 @ 100.65 mph
Fastest Pass of '07 (10-6-07)
60': 1.4360, 330': 4.3453, 1/8th: 6.7942 @ 100.65 mph

25 and in BIG TIME Debt Crew member #2
Deuce's Wild Racing: Take a Ride on the WILD SIDE
chevytrucks92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 03:01 PM   #48
Thunderbolt
AF Regular

The part that kills me is most loyal Dodge guys compare the 5.7 Hemi to a 5.3 Gm and say it is way faster. Now put the 6.0 in a half ton truck that is not all wheel drive and they will complain that the 6.0 is a bigger engine even though the difference between them is exactly the same as between the 5.7 and 5.3. Stock for stock maybe the hemi is faster I don't know, But I do know from several friends that have owned the hemis and any dodge for that matter and they flat out suck gas. I have heard people sya they get 15 mpg in the city with a Dodge and thats b.s. because everyone I know was lucky to get 11-12 city and maybe 14 hwy. I just think the hemi isn't what it is made out to be even if it is faster.
Thunderbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 03:42 PM   #49
gschretter
AF Regular

Simple. Solve this problem.

Most people say.

When people see a CHEVY - HEY, LOOK AT THAT CHEVY

When people see a Ford - Hey Look At That Ford

When people see a dodge - hey look a dodge.

When people see a Nissan Titan or Toyota truck : = WHO is the Homo driving that thing!!!

Simple rules applies here:

My Jeep help win a war and your honda cuts the grass !!!!!
gschretter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 04:58 PM   #50
Slowprocess
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to Slowprocess
My truck has been in the shop twice. The first time was to change a front wheel bearing and the second time was to yank the 4.8L(which was running as good as new) in favor of all the stuff in my sig. I bought the truck in May 99, and have about $300 in stuff messing up.(wheel bearing and window regulator). My truck has probably seen the track as much or more than anyone else's here, and it has always gotten me home. I have nothing but great things to say about the truck. And Thunderbolt, a 6.0L in a half ton is awesome, trust me!

Daily Driver- 00 Camaro SS A4 1/4- 12.30@118mph 2.14-60ft on street tires
Weekend Warrior-99 Silverado "Dirty" 1/4-11.63@118mph 1.8-60ft
Slowprocess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 05:14 PM   #51
Silver X
AF Newbie

Your showing your true age gschretter !!

Poeple are entitled to there own opinion and there is no need to bash somebody because they drive A diffrent kind of truck than you do!!!
Real childish. I hope you feel real good about yourself gschretter!!
I thought this is what this forum was about posting information and diffrent opinions not bashing..
Silver X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 06:26 PM   #52
nineball481
AF Enthusiast

This is just my 2 cents. My encounter with a hemi was fun. I have a 2000 2wd 4.8L At the time it was stock, just the cowl hood had been installed.

typical situation, I saw a truck in rear view coming up quick weaving through traffic to get up front. I sped up, to egg him on. When we caught a red light, we let are intentions be known. When the light turned green, he got me off the line (f**k'n torque management). I quickly caught up, soon after passed him. Once we both got in to top gear he started coming up, then my truck shut off, and away the Hemi went. We hit another red light and chatted. He couldn't believe that I had a stock 4.8L

I guess what I'm saying is that the same trucks are built differently. Even in this age of industrial tech, you can still get a vehicle made on Friday at 3:00

Now, the next time I pull up to a Hemi I will be able to keep on goin and see who really comes out on top .
  • Hypertech PP III
  • 20" Helo Renegades wrapped w/ Toyo Proxes S/T
  • Escalade instrument cluster
  • TYC tail lights and corner lights
  • Wet Okole seat covers

Some people see things as they are and say "Why?". I dream of things that never were and say "Why not.""
-George Bernard Shaw

"Mind over matter: If she doesn't mind, It doesn't matter"
-Nineball
nineball481 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 06:11 AM   #53
frankendart
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to frankendart Send a message via Yahoo to frankendart
Slowprocess said:
"It's not a bs comparison, because if you care about racing, you DON'T stay stock. Stock sucks, and as long as the aftermarket for the Hemi is so crappy, I'll stay ahead of the pack with the Chevy anyday. "

1. whether you care about racing or not, when you compare any two things equally, you have to set parameters. Comparing a stock vehicle to a mod'ed vehicle, is a waste of time. The foregone conclusion is the mod'ed vehicle will perform better. The same can't be said for stock vs. stock. Usually in a stock vs. stock comparison, both vehicles will have pros and cons. You have to weigh those differences, and decide which vehicle has the attributes you're looking for. The logo on the tailgate doesn't add anything to the performance of a truck.

2. "...If you care about racing...".
I care enough about racing to know that there is no place for it on the street. "Racers" take it to the track, and don't screw around on the street. I also have a car built for that purpose.

Thunderbolt said: "...most Dodge boys compare 5.7 Hemi to the 5.3 Gm..."
I did that comparison, because that is the title of this thread. (btw, you should know that Dodge also make a 6.0L Hemi due out during the '05 model year. I think that would be a very fair comparison).

Chevytruck92: You commented about th elength of time my truck was in the shop, "(2.5 weeks seems like along time to me for a mechanical problem at a professional garage)."
My truck was at the local Chevy dealer for 12 working days to replace a blown 5.3L V8. The first replacement engine they installed only rane for 5 minutes before a crack in the block was noticed by one of the techs. The second replacement engine was ordered and installed, and the dealer kept the truck for another day just to check the new installation out more closely.
That doesn't seem like a "long time" to me, at all.

Why did I rent a truck while one of mine was in the shop? Simple. My insurance agent explained to me that they would pay me $10.00 a day to drive one of my other vehicles, or pay 100% of the cost of a rental truck while my truck was in the shop. I own a small business, and all seven of my trucks are "tools". When one of them is in the shop for 3 days or more for ANY REASON, my commercial insurance covers the cost of a rental. I've been looking at the Hemis, and I figured this would be a good opportunity to test drive one for a week or two to really get a feel for it.

Lastly, for those of you who just have to label people, you should know that I own and presently have registered, insured, and operating, 12 vehicles. They include 5 Chevy or GMC pickups (one '99, one '00, two '02's, and an '04). 2 Ford Vans, (one '94 E150, one '03 E250)
there are also 3 Saturn SC2's, one 2005 Mustang GT (my wifes), and a 1972 Dodge Dart now powered by a 72 Dodge Dart (originally a 318/auto with a 7 1/4" rear, now a small block 402" crate/833/Dana 4.10)

I'll be replacing two trucks in March. I won't be buying Hemi's though. The new trucks I'm considering are all diesels. I'm considering a GMC 3500HD, A Ford F350 Superduty, and Dodge 3500. All are Crew-cab Duallies with at least 20K lb towing pkgs. I'll be buying two of them, and I will be shopping price, service, availability. Brand is not a factor to me.

I hope this clears up any questions as to brand loyalties. Now, for those of us who have to label me because I dared tosay something good about the Hemi, HAVE AT IT. Keep in mind, that over the last 30 years, I've owned over a hundred pick ups, and bought more than 90% of them new, and of various brands. I've found that it's really difficult to buy a bad American ( I have no problems with full size imports, either) pickup truck. I’m not saying there aren’t any bad pick ups out there, what I am sayong is that ALL THREE brands make good trucks, and that make lemons, too. My experience with all the brands is what keeps me open to all the brands.
I also have little or no use for mini or mid sized pickups. IMO mini and midi pickups are for people who WANT a pick up truck, but don't NEED one. They’re fine as toys, or inexpensive rides, but I’ve got work to do.

Now, for you “labelers” it’s your ball.

SUCK-SQUEEZE-BANG-BLOW!!!!
It's just how things work!

I own 4 Fords, 3 Chevies, 3 Saturns, 2 GMC's, and 2 Dodges... So tell me about your brand loyalty.
frankendart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 06:51 AM   #54
sdrado
AF Newbie

Well said Frank!
sdrado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 07:25 AM   #55
Thunderbolt
AF Regular

Never once did I label anyone nor did I say a Dodge truck was junk. I was commenting on the fuel economy. I also commented on the 5.7 to 5.3 comparison vs. the 6.0 to 5.7 comparison because that is my personal experience when talking to die hard Dodge fans. I never said Chevy was the best truck nor do I believe they do and I have never had a lemon Chevy yet. I like the looks of the Chevy, the quality of the chevy and the fuel economy so I will buy another when the two I have now quit. The two I own right now are a 92 chevy with 231,000 on it and a 98 chevy with 194,000 and still running strong. For two people to run a race on the street once or twice doesn't mean the hemi is more powerful than the 5.3 either, It could be the gears or the driver that made the race. I guess I really could care less wich is faster stock anyways because if I want to go fast it isn't going to be in any stock truck it will be modded. Sorry for the long reply I just wanted to say I wasn't criticizing anyone directly, But was speaking from personal conversations elsewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankendart
Slowprocess said:
"It's not a bs comparison, because if you care about racing, you DON'T stay stock. Stock sucks, and as long as the aftermarket for the Hemi is so crappy, I'll stay ahead of the pack with the Chevy anyday. "

1. whether you care about racing or not, when you compare any two things equally, you have to set parameters. Comparing a stock vehicle to a mod'ed vehicle, is a waste of time. The foregone conclusion is the mod'ed vehicle will perform better. The same can't be said for stock vs. stock. Usually in a stock vs. stock comparison, both vehicles will have pros and cons. You have to weigh those differences, and decide which vehicle has the attributes you're looking for. The logo on the tailgate doesn't add anything to the performance of a truck.

I care enough about racing to know that there is no place for it on the street. "Racers" take it to the track, and don't screw around on the street. I also have a car built for that purpose.

I did that comparison, because that is the title of this thread. (btw, you should know that Dodge also make a 6.0L Hemi due out during the '05 model year. I think that would be a very fair comparison).

Chevytruck92: You commented about th elength of time my truck was in the shop, "(2.5 weeks seems like along time to me for a mechanical problem at a professional garage)."
My truck was at the local Chevy dealer for 12 working days to replace a blown 5.3L V8. The first replacement engine they installed only rane for 5 minutes before a crack in the block was noticed by one of the techs. The second replacement engine was ordered and installed, and the dealer kept the truck for another day just to check the new installation out more closely.
That doesn't seem like a "long time" to me, at all.

Why did I rent a truck while one of mine was in the shop? Simple. My insurance agent explained to me that they would pay me $10.00 a day to drive one of my other vehicles, or pay 100% of the cost of a rental truck while my truck was in the shop. I own a small business, and all seven of my trucks are "tools". When one of them is in the shop for 3 days or more for ANY REASON, my commercial insurance covers the cost of a rental. I've been looking at the Hemis, and I figured this would be a good opportunity to test drive one for a week or two to really get a feel for it.

Lastly, for those of you who just have to label people, you should know that I own and presently have registered, insured, and operating, 12 vehicles. They include 5 Chevy or GMC pickups (one '99, one '00, two '02's, and an '04). 2 Ford Vans, (one '94 E150, one '03 E250)
there are also 3 Saturn SC2's, one 2005 Mustang GT (my wifes), and a 1972 Dodge Dart now powered by a 72 Dodge Dart (originally a 318/auto with a 7 1/4" rear, now a small block 402" crate/833/Dana 4.10)

I'll be replacing two trucks in March. I won't be buying Hemi's though. The new trucks I'm considering are all diesels. I'm considering a GMC 3500HD, A Ford F350 Superduty, and Dodge 3500. All are Crew-cab Duallies with at least 20K lb towing pkgs. I'll be buying two of them, and I will be shopping price, service, availability. Brand is not a factor to me.

I hope this clears up any questions as to brand loyalties. Now, for those of us who have to label me because I dared tosay something good about the Hemi, HAVE AT IT. Keep in mind, that over the last 30 years, I've owned over a hundred pick ups, and bought more than 90% of them new, and of various brands. I've found that it's really difficult to buy a bad American ( I have no problems with full size imports, either) pickup truck. I’m not saying there aren’t any bad pick ups out there, what I am sayong is that ALL THREE brands make good trucks, and that make lemons, too. My experience with all the brands is what keeps me open to all the brands.
I also have little or no use for mini or mid sized pickups. IMO mini and midi pickups are for people who WANT a pick up truck, but don't NEED one. They’re fine as toys, or inexpensive rides, but I’ve got work to do.

Now, for you “labelers” it’s your ball.
Old 11-24-2004, 07:36 AM   #56
frankendart
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: 5.7 Hemi V.s 5.3 Vortec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbolt
Never once did I label anyone nor did I say a Dodge truck was junk. I was commenting on the fuel economy. I also commented on the 5.7 to 5.3 comparison vs. the 6.0 to 5.7 comparison because that is my personal experience when talking to die hard Dodge fans. I never said Chevy was the best truck nor do I believe they do and I have never had a lemon Chevy yet. I like the looks of the Chevy, the quality of the chevy and the fuel economy so I will buy another when the two I have now quit. The two I own right now are a 92 chevy with 231,000 on it and a 98 chevy with 194,000 and still running strong. For two people to run a race on the street once or twice doesn't mean the hemi is more powerful than the 5.3 either, It could be the gears or the driver that made the race. I guess I really could care less wich is faster stock anyways because if I want to go fast it isn't going to be in any stock truck it will be modded. Sorry for the long reply I just wanted to say I wasn't criticizing anyone directly, But was speaking from personal conversations elsewhere.
Thunderbolt, do you understand that the only part of my comments that were directed toward you was the one paragraph with your name on it? I wasn't accusing you of any of the other stuff. I simply answerd why I was comparing the 5.7 Hemi to the 5.3 Vortec. nothing more, Read Below:

I own 4 Fords, 3 Chevies, 3 Saturns, 2 GMC's, and 2 Dodges... So tell me about your brand loyalty.
Old 11-24-2004, 09:55 AM   #57
Thunderbolt
AF Regular

Re: Re: Re: 5.7 Hemi V.s 5.3 Vortec

Quote:
Thunderbolt, do you understand that the only part of my comments that were directed toward you was the one paragraph with your name on it? I wasn't accusing you of any of the other stuff. I simply answerd why I was comparing the 5.7 Hemi to the 5.3 Vortec. nothing more, Read Below:

Yes I understand, But I just wanted to make sure that everyone knew I wasn't bad mouthing anyone so I am sorry if you took my post wrong.
Old 11-24-2004, 10:23 AM   #58
jeverett
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to jeverett Send a message via AIM to jeverett Send a message via MSN to jeverett Send a message via Yahoo to jeverett

Dude..this freakin thread had 1 page last week! Now 5? damn!!! This stirred alotta people up. Oh, BTW, I took a 04 Mustang from redlight to redlight 2 days ago, just cant seem to get HEMI to line up with me!!
"BIG 3"
2500+ watt audio

jeverett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 12:11 PM   #59
Slowprocess
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to Slowprocess

Quote:
Slowprocess said:

Since we're on this he said she said bs, let ME clear a few wrong things in your post. There is no way to compare a Dodge Hemi truck to a truck of modded status, such as mine. There aren't enough parts out there to go mod for mod with me on motor. If I go to the track, get "talked" into a money run from another truck, beat him, then he wants to start talking this mod for mod crap, I'm still taking his money. The guys that have minor boltons never want to complain when they look under my hood, see the 4.8L sticker under my hood, then beg me for a run. It's always after the fact.... Now why is that? When they think I have the little 4.8L, they want to run me and show how "mighty" their truck is. Only, it doesn't go down that way. Then the ricer excuses starts. "Let me do this and do that, then we'll run." I know a stock for stock hemi will most likely take a 5.3L, but do you really think that matters to most guys on here? Most guys on here want to know how to beat them, so they post up and we tell them how. I'm glad you have a car for racing. I have a truck for one, and it gets me back and forth to work all week @ 40 miles round trip.

Secondly, when did "street racing" ever come out in one of my posts? If you saw my video, you'll see that I'm at the track. You quoted me, and tried your preaching on how you don't street racing, only I didn't say anything about it. What's that all about?

Third, man, you have alot of vehicles. I'd hate to pay your insurance bill every year!

Hopefully this post will clear up the fact that I mod so I don't have to compare the two. I'm not blinded by brand loyalty here, I'm blinded by which one I can mod more. I have no problems with hemis, I do have problems with people telling me I'm wrong for comparing my truck to stock trucks, just because I wanted to go modded instead of stock. I never ask a stock truck for a race at the track, but I get approached all the time asking for a run with the 4.8L sticker under the hood. Who's trying to take advantage of who there? Thanks

Daily Driver- 00 Camaro SS A4 1/4- 12.30@118mph 2.14-60ft on street tires
Weekend Warrior-99 Silverado "Dirty" 1/4-11.63@118mph 1.8-60ft
Slowprocess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 01:31 PM   #60
frankendart
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: 5.7 Hemi V.s 5.3 Vortec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowprocess
Since we're on this he said she said bs, let ME clear a few wrong things in your post. There is no way to compare a Dodge Hemi truck to a truck of modded status, such as mine. There aren't enough parts out there to go mod for mod with me on motor. If I go to the track, get "talked" into a money run from another truck, beat him, then he wants to start talking this mod for mod crap, I'm still taking his money. The guys that have minor boltons never want to complain when they look under my hood, see the 4.8L sticker under my hood, then beg me for a run. It's always after the fact.... Now why is that? When they think I have the little 4.8L, they want to run me and show how "mighty" their truck is. Only, it doesn't go down that way. Then the ricer excuses starts. "Let me do this and do that, then we'll run." I know a stock for stock hemi will most likely take a 5.3L, but do you really think that matters to most guys on here? Most guys on here want to know how to beat them, so they post up and we tell them how. I'm glad you have a car for racing. I have a truck for one, and it gets me back and forth to work all week @ 40 miles round trip.

Secondly, when did "street racing" ever come out in one of my posts? If you saw my video, you'll see that I'm at the track. You quoted me, and tried your preaching on how you don't street racing, only I didn't say anything about it. What's that all about?

Third, man, you have alot of vehicles. I'd hate to pay your insurance bill every year!

Hopefully this post will clear up the fact that I mod so I don't have to compare the two. I'm not blinded by brand loyalty here, I'm blinded by which one I can mod more. I have no problems with hemis, I do have problems with people telling me I'm wrong for comparing my truck to stock trucks, just because I wanted to go modded instead of stock. I never ask a stock truck for a race at the track, but I get approached all the time asking for a run with the 4.8L sticker under the hood. Who's trying to take advantage of who there? Thanks
You have confirmed my first point. "You select the vehicle that has the attributes you want. You selected the Chevy because it had the attributes you were looking for. In this case, those attributes were the aftermarket support for that particular vehicle.

Regarding the street racing thing, I have to admit, I thought you were talking about street racing. I've read so many lame-brain posts regarding street racing kills, I simply thought you were contributing. Sorry if I pegged you wrong on that one.

Finally, the vehicle insurance isn't as bad as you might think. The 5 trucks and 2 vans are insured as work vehicles, and carry 5 million dollar policies on them. Actually it only breaks down to about $150.00 a month per truck (about $13k a year) . The cars are insured seperately.
...and the Dart is covered by my home owners insurance when it's in the garage, my truck insurance when it's in tow, and Racers Insurance when it's on the track.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado