Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 11:26 PM   #1
airboss20
AF Newbie

99 1500 ZR1 electrical?

I did a search and didn't find exactly what I was looking for. I have a 1999 1500 ZR1 that has become a bit cantankerous.

A while ago the service 4WD light appeared on the dash, but before I could take care of that, I started having intermittent starting issues. From cold it will simetimes start without issue, other times it will do nothing. I turn the key and all dash lights operate normally and also at normal brightness and the voltmeter in dash is reading 12v from the battery. When I turn the key to the start position..... nothing. The lights in the dash cut out as normal and return when the switch returns to the run position. There is no click from the solenoid or activation of the starter.

Other times it will start with absolutely no issue.

Also of note, the push button 4WD will also engage and disengage intermittently.

Thoughts that run through my mind that link these issues may be the gear position sensor on the side of the transmission. Maybe the 4WD and starter will not engage if it is not reading park or neutral?

I am at a loss, and would rather not just throw parts at it.

Thoughts? Ideas?
airboss20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 06:23 AM   #2
airboss20
AF Newbie

Re: 99 1500 ZR1 electrical?

I was a little tired when I wrote the thread. It's a Z-71.
Old 05-27-2016, 10:54 AM   #3
gmtech1
AF Enthusiast

Make sure you battery cables are clean at tight, also good connections at the starter and battery ground. May have a failing stater also. A '99 in New York probably has a bit of corrosion on some things. The two may or may not be related. I'd focus on the starting issue first.
gmtech1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 11:30 AM   #4
airboss20
AF Newbie

Did a little more digging. I have confirmed that all battery connections are tight. The crank fuse is good, but when the key is turned to the start position it is not activating the starter relay under the hood. I left the key in the run position and jumped the relay manually. The starter cranked and the engine turned and then died out right away. Does this mean we have a security issue?
Old 05-27-2016, 05:26 PM   #5
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by airboss20 View Post
Did a little more digging. I have confirmed that all battery connections are tight. The crank fuse is good, but when the key is turned to the start position it is not activating the starter relay under the hood. I left the key in the run position and jumped the relay manually. The starter cranked and the engine turned and then died out right away. Does this mean we have a security issue?
no . the security issue you get it to crank it may start then quickly stall that is the security issue which does happen..

when you place the key to crank and the starter relay does not engage I would look to the ignition switch as the cause.

the vehicle if with aftermarket wiring [alarm system etc] can cause these type issues as well as the ignition switch . use a meter to check for proper voltage at the starter relay ..

forcing the starter relay to energize [not jumping the contacts] does it continue to crank ?

battery connections must be removed wire brushed cleaned , then re-installed.
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 07:47 AM   #6
airboss20
AF Newbie

Brand new battery, connections good. New gear position switch. No voltage to the starter relay at the fuse box under hood when key moved to crank position. No aftermarket alarm or security system.
Old 06-09-2016, 09:03 AM   #7
777stickman
AF Enthusiast

Check IGN A fuse #6 in underhood fuse block.
1999 K2500 Old Body Style Suburban (Gone but not forgotten)
05 Dodge Ram 3500/5.9 Cummins
2012 Toyota FJ Cruiser
777stickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 05:56 AM   #8
airboss20
AF Newbie

All fuses under hood and in the cab are good.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado