Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-25-2016, 08:20 AM   #1
FALCON z
AF Newbie

05 silverado oil guage reading

Got one for u guys. I had a check engine light on due to the fuel cap. I replaced fuel cap and disconnected the black battery wire with the key in the position for a few minutes to clear the error code. When I first started the truck the interior fan would only blow in the defrost position. After restarting the truck a couple of time this corrected itself. But this morning my oil gauge is pegged all the way to the right past all the numbers. Should I just disconnect the battery again? How long? Best tools to do this with? Used adjustable wrench last time because I couldn't get a socket in the space but it started messing up those small bolt heads.
FALCON z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 04:33 AM   #2
FALCON z
AF Newbie

Re: 05 silverado oil guage reading

FYI- i put the truck in gear and kept trying to start the truck in gear. The resets the cluster guages. After about 5 attempts it had worked its way back around. Works fine now. Probably happened due to s voltage spike when disconnecting the battery.
Old 05-26-2016, 05:28 AM   #3
harleyguy
AF Regular

Yes when you disconnected then reconnected the battery with the key on you messed things up. I'm surprised you didn't get another check engine light. But hey as long as you got it sorted out now way to go.
harleyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 08:29 AM   #4
FALCON z
AF Newbie

Hey thanks for the reply. I did get another check engine light. It was for some kind fuel evaporator solenoid. The light is back off now though. I'm also thinking the truck may be idling a little low and rough or its my imagination.. I need to check again but I think is around 500 rpms this morning. I swore I had the ignition off when I plugged the battery back up. I think when I removed the black wire it made contact several times as i was unscrewing the bolt. This caused the spike.
Old 05-26-2016, 03:15 PM   #5
FALCON z
AF Newbie

This afternoon when I got off work rpms where 750. Then dropped to 550 after the truck warmed up. I'll check again in the morning. It just seem sluggish this morning.
Old 05-27-2016, 08:29 AM   #6
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FALCON z View Post
This afternoon when I got off work rpms where 750. Then dropped to 550 after the truck warmed up. I'll check again in the morning. It just seem sluggish this morning.
my suggestion is never mess with the battery connections with the key in the lock cylinder ever. you are quite lucky maybe not lucky because the PCM is a computer and computers do not like any voltage spikes.

with battery removal or the battery goes dead the idle speed needs to be re-learned that is how it works.

on resetting of the PCM/BCM you disconnect the negative battery connections with the vehicle key in your pocket. you then short out the battery cables Not the battery LOL !!! This will reset the system allow 20 min or so for the reset to set.
good luck .
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 09:22 PM   #7
FALCON z
AF Newbie

Thanks. So are u saying that u turn on the ignition after the negative is unhooked? U lost me a little on the shorting out part. Fyi- Evap vent selnoid has to be replaced, light came back on.
Old 05-28-2016, 09:55 PM   #8
Stealthee
Your worst nightmare

There is no need to wait 20 minutes for the PCM to reset. There is also no need to turn the switch on or "short" the cables. It resets almost the instant the battery is disconnected.

On that note to prevent issues like this in the future get yourself a cheap code reader. I picked up one for $15 shipped on eBay. Its not fancy or special but it reads and clears codes. If a code is manufacturer specific it will give you a N/A for the code, but you can still clear it.
Old 05-29-2016, 07:14 PM   #9
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Thanks. So are u saying that u turn on the ignition after the negative is unhooked? U lost me a little on the shorting out part. Fyi- Evap vent selnoid has to be replaced, light came back on.
yes that is what I stated . no key in the vehicle . remove the negative battery connection. short out the vehicle power wires that were on the battery NOT THE BATTERY !!!!!!!!!!
THEN TURN KEY ON ..wait 20 min this discharges the power system so the PCM has to re-learn so it uses the stored programmed instructions when you re- connect the negative battery connection WITH THE VEHICLE KEY IN YOUR POCKET !!!!!!!.
Not complicated , if it is don't mess with it .
resetting the hvac system or the PCM must be done sometimes esp. with a battery going bad or someone screws up and messes with the battery connections with the key in the ignition.. also a good way to kill the PCM which maybe in you future .

the evap codes are quite detailed on what the problem is many just change the gas cap then the solenoid and it goes on and on..

post the code so we can get a better Idea what the real problem is .

good luck .
Old 05-30-2016, 08:45 AM   #10
FALCON z
AF Newbie

Good call on the code reader, I hadn't priced them. Code P0499 was on there. When I go to buy the part, I'm going to have them check again.
Old 05-30-2016, 11:08 AM   #11
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Good call on the code reader, I hadn't priced them. Code P0499 was on there. When I go to buy the part, I'm going to have them check again.
the P0499 is because the PCM sees an open circuit to the evap vent solenoid.

many with the 2005-6 have had these coils open . I believe the part #is ac delco 214-2082 . you can remove the solenoid and measure the coil resistance should be low ohms like 20 or so.
Old 05-30-2016, 11:26 AM   #12
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
check the wiring also..

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado