Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail
Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail Nissans greatest 4WDs and SUVs
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 09:49 AM   #1
rockhead911
AF Newbie

Fuel Sending Unit- PO463

To make a long story pretty short. Gas gauge went out, SES light came on. A little research and a trip to Autozone confirmed it...it threw a PO463 -Fuel Sending Unit was bad.
2005 X with 39,980 miles. Out of warranty for all but powertrain. Fuel pump is warranted for 5/60k. The sending unit is attached to the fuel pump but not covered. Here's the kicker...Nissan knows that these things have a high failure rate at around 40k miles. It's basically a defective part that they've chosen to continue installing (see recalls for 2001-2003 Xterras).
Bottom line is that the dealer and Nissan will not cover it. Bummer because I really like my X (it's my second). Bummer for Nissan that they're about to lose a customer that spent over $60k within the past 2 years and over $120k the past 5 years.
Looks like I'm replacing it on my own as I don't want to spend the $100 code read that's required and the $300 for the repair all for a $70 part and an hour of labor. According to the manual, it looks like I need a special tool to unlock the ring at the gas tank (Tool costs $85). Anyone been into their 05 tank without using the lock ring remover, and if so, any hints?
Thanks
rockhead911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 06:11 PM   #2
OffroadX
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to OffroadX
Re: Fuel Sending Unit- PO463

Unless you know for certain the problem is corrosion of the terminals just like the 1st-gen models, I think you're being rather premature. In any case, the 05 does NOT use the same part as the earlier models, so whatever problem yours has is not directly traceable back to the earlier one.
Where do you get the information to back up the "Nissan knows that these things have a high failure rate at around 40k miles" claim?
Old 05-16-2008, 09:35 AM   #3
rockhead911
AF Newbie

There are a number of reasons that lead to the conclusion. But let me back-track. I should have begun my original post by stating that I really like my X. I had a 2000 SE and liked it enough to purchase an 05. Two weeks later I purchased my wife an 05 Altima 2.5 SE. I've been a Nissan guy for years. This 05 X is my 4th Nissan. So I'm not "anti-Nissan" by any means.
On my 05, besides several water pump issues that Nissan took care of under warranty and an ongoing issue with a leaking wiper fluid tank that the dealer can't seem to repairs, I've loved my X.
All of that aside, here is my reasoning:
1. I stated the symptoms (fuel gauge not working, SES light going on, DTE function on the trip computer not working) to my local mechanic and he said right away that it was the sending unit. He said he has about 10 newer Xterra's that he's done work on and besides regular maintenance and some small issues, he's seen this on on two previous occasions.
2. Every "Nissan" or "Xterra" forum that I've checked has a thread regarding this issue. This topic on one site has had the most "views" of any in regard to repairs and problems.
3. Nissan, up until recently, only offered the sending unit as part of the fuel pump assembly. You had to purchase both to get either. Now they offer just the sending unit. Auto manufactuors typically do not do this unless there is a demand for a single part of the "package". ie a part is in much higher demand than the other or both as a unit.
4. Go to MSN auto reviews and check-out the 05 Xterra. The only "warning" it has is in regard to purchasing a used 05 Xterra is in regard to the sending unit.
5. Last night I ran a little experiment based upon a recommendation that another auto manufacturor had for corrosion on a sending unit. They recommended adding Techtron to the fuel to clean the sensor on the unit. I took it a step further and ran my tank down to about 2 gallons. I added a full bottle of "Sea Foam" and let it sit overnight. I also unhooked the battery to reset the SES light. This AM, I filled the tank. The gauge went right back up to full, just like it had prior to the unit going bad. The SES light went back on and the DTE function is still not operating. But the gauge works for the first time since it went bad.
So, that coupled with the PO463 reading at AutoZone would indicate that the Fuel Sending Unit has in fact gone bad. I realize that it is not the same part as the Gen 1 X's had that were recalled as those units, when they went bad, would not let the engine start. This part going bad is more of a nusance than anything, although knowing how much fuel I have and how far I can go until empty is a nice feature. The SES light being constantly on may also mask another problem as well.
Old 05-16-2008, 01:09 PM   #4
rockhead911
AF Newbie

Update:
Now the DTE is working after about a 1.5 trip. So all that's left is the SES light. Either the Sea Foam loosened something on the unit or it's self-healing...
Old 05-17-2008, 09:47 AM   #5
OffroadX
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to OffroadX

The sending unit has been available as an individual part (without the fuel pump) on the 1st-gen models from the get-go, even earlier when it was used in the 98 Frontier.
Obviously this problem is an entirely different root cause than the 1st-gen models.
Old 05-17-2008, 04:01 PM   #6
rockhead911
AF Newbie

Nissan has begun to offer the FSU for the Gen 2 as a separate part as well. Usually, manufacturers don't do that unless theres a noticable increase in demand for a specific part, ie. fuel pump AND FSU v. the FSU independently.
More than likely it's a different issue (hopefully Nissan learned that plastic sitting in fuel 24/7 wasn' t a great idea), but it still has all the earmarks of being an item that has a greater than average failure rate. The fact that MSN and Edmunds both report the FSU as an often reported item in the Gen 2's at 40k miles +/- in their used car reviews would seem that it's an issue.
Old 05-20-2008, 09:45 AM   #7
rockhead911
AF Newbie

After talking with Nissan Corporate and the dealer I was able to get the FSU covered under the 5/60k warranty. Corporate didn't do anything, but the dealer was more than willing to do it. The process is a little dicey, but worth the $400-$500 savings. PM or email me if you want to know the process.
Old 12-23-2008, 09:01 AM   #8
flash999
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockhead911
After talking with Nissan Corporate and the dealer I was able to get the FSU covered under the 5/60k warranty. Corporate didn't do anything, but the dealer was more than willing to do it. The process is a little dicey, but worth the $400-$500 savings. PM or email me if you want to know the process.
I have a 2005 xterra...same problem..Please provide process
flash999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 01:56 PM   #9
ajax138
AF Newbie

I'm having the same problem and would really appreciate any info you could provide to get them to pay for it, I'm very intersted to hear the process involved. Thanks so much, Ajax
ajax138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 03:32 AM   #10
hirop420
AF Newbie

wow this post is old but if someone sees this and know the process of getting nissan to do this PM ME PLEASE.

I have p0463 error. My gauge works fine. Im at 51k in miles. Everything i've read says its the FSU. I'm tring to get my truck registered but they require emission for my truck now, emission guy said" you have this code, if your check engine light is on then we can't work on you vehicle" wtf

Does anybody know a way to get this reset and stay off for like 50 miles for sure..
hirop420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 03:20 AM   #11
ptjeffgm
AF Newbie

Nissan extended the Fuel Sending Unit to 72 months / 72,000 and up to June 30, 2011 to get your money back....Check Nissan Help Site
ptjeffgm is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail