Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail Nissans greatest 4WDs and SUVs
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-25-2001, 07:03 PM   #16
Toy Man
AF Premium User

ARB air compressor location

I have attached (I hope) a picture of my compressor (before the front locker installation.) I think if you install it with the air switches pointing towards the engine instead of the firewall, you have more room to work with. The alarm horn was relocated.

The blue thing is a condom to protect the 'pump-up' (air hose) outlet.

The pump-up kit option is about $30 from your ARB dealer.

I paid $1200 for the compressor, rear locker and install.
Another $1000 for the front locker and install.

Warmonger had a excellent suggestion about inquiring at a local 4x4 club. This is what I did and I am very happy with my installer. (Leonard's of Hillsboro Oregon)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg arb compressor 2 - small.jpg (55.9 KB, 178 views)
Toy Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2001, 04:17 AM   #17
warmonger
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to warmonger Send a message via Yahoo to warmonger
Hey Toyman, I like your attachment on the oil filler cap. I have heard of people having problems with them falling off but I have never experienced it myself. I take it you had trouble?

warmonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2001, 06:11 AM   #18
Toy Man
AF Premium User

Oil filler cap

Quote:
Hey Toyman, I like your attachment on the oil filler cap. I have heard of people having problems with them falling off but I have never experienced it myself. I take it you had trouble?
No problems, just preventive maintenance.
Old 09-26-2001, 11:05 AM   #19
Chris
Oldie

Send a message via AIM to Chris Send a message via MSN to Chris
Also, in cold climates teh air lines can freeze, rendering the locker inoperable.
Old 09-26-2001, 12:21 PM   #20
Philosopher
AF Enthusiast

Re: ARB air compressor location

Quote:
Originally posted by Toy Man
I have attached (I hope) a picture of my compressor (before the front locker installation.) I think if you install it with the air switches pointing towards the engine instead of the firewall, you have more room to work with. The alarm horn was relocated.

The blue thing is a condom to protect the 'pump-up' (air hose) outlet.

Nice condom!

Looks like a good set-up, congrats!
Philosopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2001, 06:23 PM   #21
Maddog
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Maddog
Yea, great set up Toy Man, thanks for the pic. I plan on installing my compressor in the next week or two and this will definetly help.

Dog
Old 09-26-2001, 07:30 PM   #22
Toy Man
AF Premium User

Air compressor mounting

Quote:
I plan on installing my compressor in the next week or two and this will definetly help.
I forgot to mention you will have to fabricate a mount. Not possible to take a picture of how my installer did it but you just need to attach a horizontal platform for the compressor to sit on to the fender well.

I think Mosi found some parts at Home Depot do his.
Old 09-27-2001, 04:51 AM   #23
warmonger
AF Enthusiast

Chris,

You can cure this problem by using braided stainless steel lines like I did. Also my air system in general uses primarily 300 psi rubber lines. In fact, I have a total of 9 feet of nylon line in my truck, 6 of which goes to the air gauge in the dash. No one made a really good 1/8" air line to use on my gauge. The only other issue I could run into is if humidity is in the line and that freezes. I had to reconfigure my air sytem due to some problems with humidity here in Florida. I still have a little more work to do, but that waits until my front air locker goes in.

Quote:
Originally posted by Chris
Also, in cold climates teh air lines can freeze, rendering the locker inoperable.

Old 09-27-2001, 07:40 AM   #24
Maddog
AF Enthusiast

War,
Thanks for the info. Where did you get the stainless steel line for your hoses? AC offered them to me when I purchased locker and compressor but I opted not to get them due to the extra cost. Since I'm saving a bit on my locker install now I might order them from AC, unless their is another source? Thanks

DOG
Old 09-27-2001, 07:55 PM   #25
warmonger
AF Enthusiast

I looked at the one AC offered (it is an ARB unit) and I didn't really like it. I bought one from Advanced Off-Road Research, a Toyota 4X4 house. You can reach their website at www.aor4x4.com. I don't have a good photo of mine on my website, but can easily shoot one on the digital camera for you to see how it looks. It is an Aeroquip hose with AN fittings. It uses a tapered seat, so there is no need to seal threads. It is a real nice line. Not cheap at $80 for the rear, but I don't have to worry about it breaking from cold or road debris. Let me know if you want to see a photo. I will check in the morning before I head off to work.

Old 09-28-2001, 07:18 AM   #26
Maddog
AF Enthusiast

thanks for the offer man. i'd like to see a photo of the line when you get the chance. the more i think about it, i'll probably end up ordering a more resilent hose and keep the ARB hoses as spares. thanks again

MD
Old 09-28-2001, 08:05 PM   #27
Chris
Oldie

Send a message via AIM to Chris Send a message via MSN to Chris
Thats great, I didnt know that. That solves a lot of dilemas for when planning a rig, which I hope to do someday (probably for dunes or mud)
Old 09-28-2001, 08:24 PM   #28
warmonger
AF Enthusiast

I'll shoot some photos tomorrow and post them for you either tomorrow night or Sunday Maddog. I will make sure I get a close-up of the fittings so you can see what they look like. It is one TOUGH setup!

I just edited the photos into this message. Photo number one is of the line where it hooks to the air solenoid provided by ARB:

The second photo is where the line attaches to the air locker line at the rear diff:

If you have any other questions about it, fire them at me. So far the line has performed flawlessly with no surprises. In fact, most of the air system has performed unbelievably well with only a few surprises thrown in, some of my own doing.

Last edited by warmonger; 09-29-2001 at 04:29 PM.
Old 10-01-2001, 11:45 AM   #29
Maddog
AF Enthusiast

Nice Pics...Thanks

War,
Hey man, thanks for the pics. That is some set up man, looks tough as hell. I'm planning on installing my compressor this weekend hopefully, if i can free up the time. I'm looking into ordering some of the stainless tubing this week, but have been contemplating installing the stock ARB tubing for now, and then maybe ordering the stainless as a spare and replace it as needed. To be honest, I haven't even had time to carefully look over the install instructions for the compressor and tubing, will changing to the stainless line later pose a problem? Thanks again for the pics, great setup.

DOG
Old 10-01-2001, 05:32 PM   #30
warmonger
AF Enthusiast

Maddog,

I would do it in one fail swoop for reliability's sake. Why leave yourself stranded with a broken air line if you don't have to?