Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail
Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail Nissans greatest 4WDs and SUVs
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-23-2001, 01:03 PM   #1
Schludwiller
XTerra Guy

Question Bearing repack clinic at GoX

Hey maybe we should have a bearing repacking clinic at GoX2. I just called the local Nissan dealer and they want $200 in labor. (I'll end up doing it myself, but was curious how much they charged).
Schludwiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2001, 01:44 PM   #2
Sgt_Lobo
AF Newbie

Good idea! And being the nice guy I am, I will offer my X for the lessons....
Old 08-23-2001, 02:56 PM   #3
Schludwiller
XTerra Guy

Quote:
Originally posted by Sgt_Lobo
Good idea! And being the nice guy I am, I will offer my X for the lessons....
Get in line buddy.
Old 08-23-2001, 05:48 PM   #4
Synchro
AF Regular

Send a message via ICQ to Synchro Send a message via Yahoo to Synchro
i am doing mine with a couple of other MAXC guys this saturday. i would be happy to help with the clinic. i even have a bearing repacker. i have most of the tools too and myself or someone else can get the 4 i don't have that we will need. so no worries there.

and whomever's truck is the project vehicle will be the one who is doing the task on their truck. the instructors will be standing over you shoulders. no free lunches folks. make sure you bring the bearing seals with you to GOX2.
Synchro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2001, 08:20 PM   #5
ScottG
AF Enthusiast

I finally got around to doing mine last weekend. Warmonger's tutorial came in handy. It's not to difficult, just follow the instructions. Be sure not to tighten the bearings to much. I almost made the mistake of tightening the nut to much.
ScottG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2001, 08:48 PM   #6
Schludwiller
XTerra Guy

Quote:
Originally posted by Synchro
i am doing mine with a couple of other MAXC guys this saturday. i would be happy to help with the clinic. i even have a bearing repacker. i have most of the tools too and myself or someone else can get the 4 i don't have that we will need. so no worries there.

and whomever's truck is the project vehicle will be the one who is doing the task on their truck. the instructors will be standing over you shoulders. no free lunches folks. make sure you bring the bearing seals with you to GOX2.
I don't have Warmongers tutorial. Could you please give me a complete listing of what we need (tools, parts, etc). I could bring that stuff to GoX.

Old 08-23-2001, 08:49 PM   #7
Chris_McCracken
AF Regular

I need to do mine. I have the seals just sitting on the workbench collecting dust. Is someone bringing a packing tool? I can't find one at any local shops, and am too lazy to order one from napa.com. What kind of grease to get?
Chris_McCracken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2001, 09:19 PM   #8
xoc
AF Enthusiast

I'll be too busy wheeling and drinking... Have fun :finger:

Make sure to bring a torque wrench...
xoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2001, 10:27 PM   #9
ScottG
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by Schludwiller

I don't have Warmongers tutorial. Could you please give me a complete listing of what we need (tools, parts, etc). I could bring that stuff to GoX.

I just printed out the instructions he has listed in the link posted in the "how to" section of this board. He has a list of the tools needed. The entire job is done with ordinary hand tools (metric wrenches and screw drivers). I didn't even use a bearing packing tool. It gets a bit messy, but you can squeeze the grease into the bearings by hand. The only tool I bought for the job was a set of snap ring pliers. But, I'm sure you could get the snap ring off with a screw driver if you had to. Use a high temp grease.
ScottG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2001, 10:55 PM   #10
Schludwiller
XTerra Guy

Quote:
Originally posted by xoc
I'll be too busy wheeling and drinking... Have fun :finger:

Make sure to bring a torque wrench...
Yeah, but I learned that at 8,000 feet you can't drink beer constantly (even though I tried). Those driveway tuneups at the condo are always interesting.
Old 08-23-2001, 11:38 PM   #11
Synchro
AF Regular

as i posted, I have all but a few tools and i will get the rest of them before this weekend, even the bearing repacker for the second time. and i am happy to help and bring all this stuff to GOX with me.

I am helping with 4 trucks this saturday. if i cannot learn it by that point something is wrong. we will not need warmonger instructions per se at GOX, even though i will bring the CD of them anyhow. all you need to do is go buy yourself a set of seals. the seals in question are "2 rotor seals, Nissan part number 40232-8B500" and should cost about $24 for the set.

as for getting everyone's bearings done, no offense, but do we really want to take as much time as it could to do everyone's? a workshop is one thing, which i am cool with. maybe 2 trucks, Schlud's, since he brought it up and one other person. I would prefer to do this one evening, but i am of course not the ultimate say and am flexible. maybe at the picnic or something, while everyone else is out playing volleyball? maybe Sunday night? there is the potential to suck up a lot of time if there are a ton of trucks to do. But if everyone sees the process in action, they wcould be able to go home and repeat it afterwards, which is the point of a workshop.

this could be a whole other addition to GOX next year, seminars and workshops. i could lead a few like adjusting torsion bars and stuff like this. heck i'll do that one this year too if enough people are interested in learning it.

but again with any of these items, whomevers truck it is does the work!!
Old 08-23-2001, 11:45 PM   #12
Synchro
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by Chris_McCracken
I need to do mine. I have the seals just sitting on the workbench collecting dust. Is someone bringing a packing tool? I can't find one at any local shops, and am too lazy to order one from napa.com. What kind of grease to get?
look up in your phone book for a snap-on dealer. should cost you about $15 -$30. i got mine from snapon.com

If one person could be in charge of getting wheel bearing grease and bring enough for a few people that would be cool. keep it consistens and not gunk up the repacking tool.
Old 08-24-2001, 01:22 AM   #13
xoc
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by Schludwiller

Yeah, but I learned that at 8,000 feet you can't drink beer constantly (even though I tried).
Lightweight...
You just need more practice
xoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2001, 03:06 AM   #14
warmonger
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to warmonger Send a message via Yahoo to warmonger
Too bad I won't be at GOX. I've had more practice than anyone thanks to the fact that I can't keep my@#$ out of the Florida mud! Not to mention the sinkholes and mosquito lagoons.

warmonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2001, 06:43 AM   #15
OffroadX
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to OffroadX
Quote:
Originally posted by Synchro
look up in your phone book for a snap-on dealer. should cost you about $15 -$30. i got mine from snapon.com
I caught a Snap-On truck at a garage the other day and inquired about the little bearing packer, and he was asking $30-40 for it, I forget exactly, but it was too rich for my blood at the time. Part # YA470A. He did mention I could likely find it @ Napa, as it is not a Snap-On-exclusive item, and probably for less.

Brent
OffroadX is offline   Reply With Quote