Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail Nissans greatest 4WDs and SUVs
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-16-2002, 09:30 PM   #31
FSRBIKER
AF Enthusiast

Matt it is in the August issue, the online version is not the complete article and the "no gain in travel/articulation" comment is amazingly deleted in the online article.
FSRBIKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2002, 11:55 AM   #32
Philosopher
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by FSRBIKER
Matt it is in the August issue, the online version is not the complete article and the "no gain in travel/articulation" comment is amazingly deleted in the online article.
That is exactly what Steve told me on the phone months and months ago - NO gain in articulation at all, just room for bigger tires.
Philosopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2002, 10:11 AM   #33
ScottG
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by Philosopher

That is exactly what Steve told me on the phone months and months ago - NO gain in articulation at all, just room for bigger tires.
Philo,
In your opinion are all the lifts about the same in this respect, or does either SLR or AC offer more travel and articulation than Calmini?

I had been thinking that the only real difference in the SLR lift was the differential drop. I had not thought about possible articulation advantages.
Thanks,
Scott
ScottG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2002, 02:07 PM   #34
Philosopher
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by ScottG

Philo,
In your opinion are all the lifts about the same in this respect, or does either SLR or AC offer more travel and articulation than Calmini?

I had been thinking that the only real difference in the SLR lift was the differential drop. I had not thought about possible articulation advantages.
Thanks,
Scott
In my opinion which some folks will dispute:

The SLR kit claims the most travel (don't remember the numbers). I wouldn't bet money on this, but that's what they claim. The drop the diff, which helps CV angles, but that's about it. Some folks with the SLR lift have had problems with their set up. If the SLR kit does in fact offer slightly more articulation than the AC kit then that would offer explanations as to the problems some folks have reported. The AC set up has the same amount of articulation as the SLR kit without the diff drop as far as I know. The AC A-arms and the SLR A-arms are almost identical. I'm sure the SLR A-arms are prettier, but I'm not convinced that they are beefier or made any better.

The Calmini A-arms seem to be the beefiest to me, but with that extra beefiness comes no articulation.
Philosopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2002, 08:15 PM   #35
ScottG
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by Philosopher

In my opinion which some folks will dispute:

The SLR kit claims the most travel (don't remember the numbers). I wouldn't bet money on this, but that's what they claim. The drop the diff, which helps CV angles, but that's about it. Some folks with the SLR lift have had problems with their set up. If the SLR kit does in fact offer slightly more articulation than the AC kit then that would offer explanations as to the problems some folks have reported. The AC set up has the same amount of articulation as the SLR kit without the diff drop as far as I know. The AC A-arms and the SLR A-arms are almost identical. I'm sure the SLR A-arms are prettier, but I'm not convinced that they are beefier or made any better.

The Calmini A-arms seem to be the beefiest to me, but with that extra beefiness comes no articulation.
Thanks Philosopher. Over the last year or so, I have changed my mind several times regarding which lift I would like to have. I would like to have the AC lift with Bilstien shocks and National rear springs. Maybe it's better just to peice a lift together.

Do you have any idea what problems people were having with the SLR lift?
ScottG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2002, 09:33 AM   #36
Kennedy
AF Regular

Well, I have the SLR lift kit...

And the only problem I have had is the same problem that everyone else is having with the steering components. SLR has steering components that will soon be available. AC has just released thier quite expensive steering setup.

My .02 cents...

First here's all the XOC posts on the SLR lift I've made. I've had mine installed about as long as Ian has (maybe a month less).

http://www.xterraownersclub.com/cgi-...&f=37&t=000438
http://www.xterraownersclub.com/cgi-...c&f=9&t=000084
http://www.xterraownersclub.com/cgi-...&f=37&t=000302

-First the only people I know to have documented blowing CV's has been Pik and SLR. SLR developed the diff drop because of the fact that they blew the CV out.
- Second, not sure of the artriculation gains (numbers wise), but I know Spencer's stuff is racebred. The components are designed with performance in mind. SLR has taken some hits recently because they're having website trouble. I've called and asked what's up quite recently. New stuff is coming. The new stage 4 lift is complete, and quite a few add ons for the stage 2 and 3 are ready to go to add articulation to those kits. Thier sevice is still great even thought the website is still down.
The web-site issue is when they went live over a year ago with thier web-site, they had problems that generated bad press. They want to make sure everything is right, and all components are tested and available before going live again. Give em a call and ask.

-Read my opinion on Calmini in one of the links above. I think they're ripping off the true innovators within the comunity here. MIke V at AC, Todd at EOE, and Spencer at SLR, and Eric at SR will probably all agree.

-Lastly, buying Spencer's stuff is like subscribing to a service. I bought the lift kit when it was "gen 1" over a year ago. Since then I have received new front shock mount bushings and pads, new ball joints in response to the shitty moog ones Ian documented, and new frame side poly bushings... Free of charge... So as spencer developes new products to tweak his lift, he shares those tweaks with his customers. Try to get Rancho to do that for ya!

He also keeps me in the loop as new things evolve and offers return customer discounts. I'm a loyal customer, and reccomend you give these guys a try if your going with a lift.
Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2002, 09:55 AM   #37
FSRBIKER
AF Enthusiast

Kennedy do you have the small welded on steel pad on your SLR a-arms that will contact the upper bumpstop? Also did your kit include low profile bumpstops for the upper a-arms? I was installing a new centerlink on Steinism's X and he recently installed the SLR lift... the steel pad is not there and he said the low profile bumpstops were included. I am wondering when they started this as I know for sure Ian has the steel pad on his a-arms...you...anyone else with the SLR lift?
FSRBIKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2002, 06:12 PM   #38
Kennedy
AF Regular

Yep...

I have the steel pads, but they arre offset a bit. I think the first run of arms was from a frontier and thus they don't quite match up well. To compensate, new larger upper bumpstops have been added. They may havde started removing them as they aren't reallt necessary.
I received the bumstops this summer when I asked about them. Got the lowers too. I know the next run of upper arms will correct this minor issue as well as add zerks to the a arms mountings

I also know new lower A-arms and an extended shock mounting is about ready to go. Should be quite interesting what's available by springtime.

Here's a pic of what comes with the SLR kit:
Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2002, 10:04 PM   #39
Craigs_Tonka
AF Regular

I also....

have the SLR lift. I have the "pads" you mentioned on the a-arms with the low profile bump stops as well as grease zerks on each bushing for the arm and the balljoint itself.

I've had no complaints regarding my lift. In fact, it's never performed as well as it did this weekend. I had 5 in the cabin and about 200lbs of gear and was fully articulating on rock crawling trails and running hard across some desert trails.

I know that some good things are on the way for the Xterra community from SLR in the near future. As far as I'm concerned, I will continue to purchase their products as they have more experience with custom building parts for Nissans due to their racing background.

My .02
SLR 3" Lift, SLR IV Intake, SLR Steering Stabilizer, 32" BFG MT km's, Warn Premium Locking Hubs, Gibson Exhaust, Custom Rock Sliders, Custom Safari Rack, CO2 Air Tank, Daylighters, CB, with more to come.
Craigs_Tonka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2002, 11:02 PM   #40
Maddog
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Maddog
I'll also chime in regarding SLR. I installed the SLR lift about a year ago (Kennedy and I were working on the install at about the same time). I too have nothing but good things to say about both the lift and SLR's customer service. I have noticed a substaintial improvement of the ride as well as an increase in articulation, all without any problems to speak of (yet). The guys at SLR were also very helpful with any questions I had concerning the install and even gave me a few calls months later just to make sure everything was working out ok.

To save a little cash, I only ordered the Stage I lift, which doesn't include torsion bars, and then purchased the NISMO torsion bars for a little less. While I have been impressed with SLR's products and customer service I didn't find iit necessary to pay $200 more for their torsion bars. In deciding on a lift, I really don't think you'll be disappointed with the SLR kit, although I'm sure some will say the same thing about the AC lift.

Dog