Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Locations (USA, Canada, Asia, etc...) > Western US
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Western US Arizona, New Mexico, Washington and other Western US states.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-06-2005, 02:22 PM   #1
IMPORTMUSCLE
AF Newbie

Exclamation California Smog With A Turbo

I Have A 2000 Civic Ex (original Motor D-16y8) And A Garret Turbo T3/t4 (6-8lbs Boost) With Intercooler. I Was Told It Will Not Pass Smog But I'm Sure It Will. Does Anyone Know Anything About This? Where Some Places Are? What I May Need To Do To Pass, With The Turbo?

Also, I Want To Do A Motor Swap With A B-16 Or 18 Not Sure Yet, With A Custom Turbo. Will This Pass As Well?

What Kind Of Publications Are Out There? And What Manual Should I Look To.

Please Help!

Jim
IMPORTMUSCLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 11:40 PM   #2
superbluecivicsi
AF - Advisor

Re: California Smog With A Turbo

no it will not. only way is to smog it illegally.
FS: B series InlinePro cast mani, PnH RC 550s, and Hondata S2b. pm me.
superbluecivicsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 05:30 PM   #3
Gohan Ryu
AF Enthusiast

You might pass the emissions test, but there is also a visual inspection that you won't pass unless you somehow get the DMV to give you an exempt status (not easy to do you have to pass a detailed DMV inspection). Aftermarket upgrades such as a turbo need to be CARB exempt and have to have the CARB number displayed somewhere for the inspector to see.

Maybe you could go to a smog-check place where the tester can be "talked into" giving you a "pass" on the visual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazw8st
How is it that my 1962 VW bug has no emissions equipment, spews 10 times more pollutants than a brand new Dodge Viper SRT-10, yet meets all CARB/Cal EPA mandates and requirements? And a Honda turbo doesn't?
Because EPA requirements for a 1962 VW bug are different from EPA requirements for a 2000 Honda. Your VW would never pass if the EPA required the same numbers from your car as they require from a 2000 Honda.

I know that you know everything there is to know about everything, but CA doesn't care WTF you do to a vehicle that falls within the "grandfather clause" since anything you do would probably be an improvement. They're much more restrictive with newer vehicles.
Gohan Ryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 10:10 PM   #4
superbluecivicsi
AF - Advisor

Re: Re: Re: California Smog With A Turbo

Quote:
superbluecivicsi:

Really, please refrain from making those unbased and uneducated comments. What you should have said is, "to the best of my knowledge, it is illegal". The word "illegal" should not pertain to California vehicle emissions. Federal mandates do not enforce emissions equipment on used vehicles, only on new vehicles. Meaning, if you decide to buy a vehicle in a state where there are no state ARB/EPA vehicle emissions mandates or regulations, you can, in the privacy of your own home, install whatever turbo, engine, supercharger, exhaust, that your heart desires.

How is it that my 1962 VW bug has no emissions equipment, spews 10 times more pollutants than a brand new Dodge Viper SRT-10, yet meets all CARB/Cal EPA mandates and requirements? And a Honda turbo doesn't? My neighbor has a 1968 Chevelle with a 502 ci. big block, a Eaton-Roots 10-71 supercharger and raw fuel drizzles out his dual exhausts at idle. Yet he is "legal" and cool, and a Honda dude with a turbocharger, is a nuisance and a danger to society.

Please don't try to school me on the "grandfather clause" or that vehicles 30 years or older are exempt. Or that, California is a smoggy state, or that the air is dirty. The fact of the matter is, the dirtiest air in California is near the Mexican border, where Mexican vehicles do not have emissions equipment, the Mexican factories do not monitor their hazardous airborne emissions and people really can care less whether the air is dirty or not. There are borders that curtail "illegal" immigration, but the borders do not stop "illegal" air pollution. I know, because I have a house in Tecate, Baja California, Mexico.

As my disclaimer, I believe everybody on public internet forums should take public forum information as a grain of salt. If something on the internet sounds too good to be true, either ignore it or double-check if the source knows something others don't. Just because you don't know something, "superbluecivicsi",doesn't mean it can't be done.

If someone cares so much about California vehicle air pollution, the border is there and you can boycott California/Mexico border air quality. Oh, maybe they can build some really big fans, that blow the bad air out to the Pacific ocean or back to Mexico. But wait, what about the fish, and the whales? And, how would they power those fans? Hmmm.... by building more power generation stations, that create more air pollution.

Everytime you see a hot rod, or a muscle car driving by, do people think, boy that is the main cause of air pollution, cars that are 30 years or older? Or, do they think...darn that is cool? For any California air pollution advocates out there, hunt down the hot rods and the muscle cars with V8's in them and get them off the road first, before chasing the Honda, Nissan, Toyota, Mustang, Chevy, VW, BMW turbocharged gearheads, that have emission equipment and create alot less air pollution than what you may imagine.
i didnt care to read your whole post. to answer the question, by the legnth of the post, you are making it much more comples than it need be." will you pass smog with a turbo?"

the answer is no. besides not pasing the actual sniffer will depend on your snail.

also, you cannot vent exhaust fumes under your hood.
Old 01-14-2006, 07:54 AM   #5
superbluecivicsi
AF - Advisor

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: California Smog With A Turbo

Quote:
Good job pal. I applaud you on your knowledge off all things known and unknown. I'll take the from you and go my seperate way, I do realize you have alot of time on your hands, and have alot of posts on this forum. Remember back to the day when you signed on to this forum and posted for the first time. We "ALL" are noobs at one time or another. Thanks for the constructive criticism pal.
Old 01-14-2006, 04:22 PM   #6
Smoghog
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: Re: California Smog With A Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbluecivicsi
i didnt care to read your whole post. to answer the question, by the legnth of the post, you are making it much more comples than it need be." will you pass smog with a turbo?"

the answer is no. besides not pasing the actual sniffer will depend on your snail.

also, you cannot vent exhaust fumes under your hood.
I am sorry you have to disagree with SuperB But by disagreeing with him you are also disagreeing with the state of California. As a Smogger I agree with him.

All modifications that are emission related have to be C.A.R.B. approved period. (California Air Resources Board) I did check to see if any Garret turbo's are legal on the carb list and they are not. Therefore you are responsible to make it legal. Next time you buy any mod you need to check for a carb number. I am sorry for you being a noob but we all have had to learn somehow. As a smogger we can lose our job if we pass a car that is not legal. I like my job and I am not risking it for anyone.

SB is also correct on a visual inspection you will fail. It doesn't matter if your car will pass the exhaust sampling or not.

I do agree with you about the Hotrods and such, but it is a law and what can we do but abide by it.

You can remove the illegal parts and put back on the stock stuff for the test and then put it back on.

Welcome to California....

SH
Smoghog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 01:56 AM   #7
ritalin
AF Newbie

you said you check garret turbo and its not listed. so what brand of turbos are smog legal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoghog
I am sorry you have to disagree with SuperB But by disagreeing with him you are also disagreeing with the state of California. As a Smogger I agree with him.

All modifications that are emission related have to be C.A.R.B. approved period. (California Air Resources Board) I did check to see if any Garret turbo's are legal on the carb list and they are not. Therefore you are responsible to make it legal. Next time you buy any mod you need to check for a carb number. I am sorry for you being a noob but we all have had to learn somehow. As a smogger we can lose our job if we pass a car that is not legal. I like my job and I am not risking it for anyone.

SB is also correct on a visual inspection you will fail. It doesn't matter if your car will pass the exhaust sampling or not.

I do agree with you about the Hotrods and such, but it is a law and what can we do but abide by it.

You can remove the illegal parts and put back on the stock stuff for the test and then put it back on.

SH
ritalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 01:57 AM   #8
ritalin
AF Newbie

so what brand of turbos are smog legal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoghog

SH
ritalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 10:27 AM   #9
Smoghog
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Thanks for the warm welcome.
OK, so I am wrong. It looks as if the Edelbrock uses the Garrett Turbo. Here is the Carb info..

EO: D-215-62
EO Date: 8/24/2004
Manufacturer Name: Edelbrock Corporation
Device: Performer X Turbo Kit
Device Type: Turbocharger System/ Turbocharger Modification

Part # 1500
1996 through 2000 model-year Honda Civics equipped with the 4 cylinder, single over head camshaft (SOHC) V-Tec engine.

The Performer X Turbo Kit includes the following main parts: Garrett T-28 Turbocharger (model # GT28R for SOHC applications and model # GT28RS for DOHC applications), equipped with a waste gate set at 7 psi., an intercooler, intake manifold with four additional injectors that are controlled by a stand alone controller, exhaust manifold, and an intake air tube with an open element air cleaner attached.

Part # 1501
1999 and 2000 model-year Honda Civics equipped with the 4 cylinder, dual over head camshaft (DOHC) V-Tec engine.

The Performer X Turbo Kit includes the following main parts: Garrett T-28 Turbocharger (model # GT28R for SOHC applications and model # GT28RS for DOHC applications), equipped with a waste gate set at 7 psi., an intercooler, intake manifold with four additional injectors that are controlled by a stand alone controller, exhaust manifold, and an intake air tube with an open element air cleaner attached.

Part # 1502
1992 through 1995 model-year Honda Civics equipped with the 4 cylinder, single over head camshaft (SOHC) V-Tec engine

I don't know how I missed it Very Sorry
SH

PS there are more
EO: D-186-25
EO Date: 5/23/2001
Manufacturer Name: HKS USA, Inc.
Device: Honda Turbocharger Kit
Device Type: Turbocharger System/ Turbocharger Modification
Part_Number: Model_Specification: Modification_Allowed:
Remarks: 1994 to 2001, Integra GSR,1.8L, 1997 to 2001, Integra Type R, 1.8L 1992 to 2000, Civic, 1.5 & 1.6L 1990 to 2001, Integra, 1.8L
The Honda Turbocharger Kit includes the following main components: Garrett turbocharger with no waste gate and a 6 psi. maximum boost, in-line ECU electrical modification to increase fuel flow at boost conditions, open element air filter, and an exhaust connecting pipe with an oxygen sensor fitting, similar to the OEM configuration. The following Honda engine families have been certified to Low Emission Vehicle (LEV) or more stringent emission standards and are excluded from this Executive Order: 1996 model-year, THN1.6VJG3EK, 1997 model-year, VHN1.6VJG3EK, 1998 model-year, WHNXV01.6CA3, WHNXV01.6KA4, 1999 model-year, XHNXV01.6CA3, XHNXV01.6TA3, XHNXV01.6KA4, and 2000 model-year, YHNXV01.6CA3, YHNXV01.6TA3.
Smoghog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 06:51 PM   #10
JMac916
AF Newbie

Turbos will pass smog but they have to be factory
JMac916 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Locations (USA, Canada, Asia, etc...) > Western US