Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand AM
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-17-2014, 04:47 PM   #1
diochra
AF Newbie

2003 Pontiac Grand Am Won't Start/Turns

Hey, my car won't start and I'm trying to figure out why. I'm not a mechanic but I can understand the general idea of what is going on. Any information is appreciated!

The kind of car I have:

2003 Pontiac Grand Am
2.2L, In-Line4, VIN(F) DOHC
Has about 160,000 on it

Issue I'm having:

Car turns but won't start
"Service Engine Soon" light is on
Tried to jump it (made sure to let it charge for awhile) to no avail
Was low on gas but was not empty -- we filled it up and it still won't turn
Specifically for this model, it is not the Security Bypass issue (where you reset it after 10 minutes)

Recent work history:

On 2/4/14, I took my car to the shop after the check engine light was blinking when I tried to go above 25mph:

Replaced Spark Plugs
Replaced Air Filter
Replaced Ignition Coil Pack
Replaced Spark Plug Boot (Coil to Plug)
Replaced Ignition Control Module
Replaced Fuel Filter

When I drove my car away, the "Check Engine Light" came on. Took it back, this is what they did:

Access computer for codes
"P0172 system to rich on bank 1"
They told me that there was a possible injector leaking down and recommended a fuel injector cleaning. They said I was ok to drive it for awhile and did not have to do it right that moment.

I did light driving on the car but left it in the burbs as I live in the city. When I moved five months later, I brought the car back to the city. I noticed my air conditioning was not working (will blow heat just fine but will not blow cold).

I changed my oil not long after bringing it to the city, in that same month. Besides the air conditioning, I haven't had any real issues and have done local driving through the city.

I took the car out on Friday, drove to Madison, and drove back the next day with no issues (300m trip). This morning we took the car out to the burbs to visit family (20m) -- now it won't start.

Any ideas as to what it could be?
diochra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 08:35 AM   #2
Tech II
AF Fanatic

Re: 2003 Pontiac Grand Am Won't Start/Turns

Does it crank over and not start, or it doesn't crank at all?

I don't know who worked on your car, but they should have checked for codes BEFORE doing any work....was that code already there? We'll never know.....from what they replaced, it looked like they just shotgunned parts into your car....they said it was ok to drive? Don't go back there.....

Pull the vac line off the fuel pressure regulator and look/smell for fuel....could be a leaking diaphram....

As for the ac, could be any number of things....first would be to check the pressure in the system with a set of gauges on the hi and lo sides.....pressure on a cold engine should be approx the same as ambient temp, i.e., if the outside air temp is 75F, the lo=hi=75 psi, on cold engine, not running.....
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand AM