Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Taurus | Taurus Wagon
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-27-2004, 11:26 PM   #1
jaron1037
AF Newbie

Has Anyone Heard Of This??

I have a 2001 LX. It started to ping on acceleration at approximately 20,000 miles. I took it to the dealer. They said that 4 of the injectors were "bad." I picked it up and the pinging came back even worse and the check engine light came on. Took it back, they said that they replaced them with the wrong parts. They said that they put the right injectors in.

The pinging returned and I took it to another dealer. They ran some type of fluid through it. Pinging still remained. I took it back again and they had an "engineer" from Ford look at it and they now say that it is a "characteristic" of the Taurus.

Unforunatley I purchased the car used with only 7,000 miles on it. I don't believe that it falls under any type of Lemon Law. I'm in Florida.

Has anyone heard of this??
jaron1037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 05:02 PM   #2
brooster42
AF Newbie

Re: Has Anyone Heard Of This??

I think the Lemon law only applies to new cars - no luck there.

I think the line about the "engineer" looking at it is total donkee-dump. What - the guy flew in from Detroit just to look at your car? Yeah right.

I'm an old mechanic who left the car industry to pursue a computer career 20 years ago, but I still fix my own cars. And sometimes they can be a bugger. In the old days, most all the engine contrils were mechanical. The controls that weren't could be diagnosed with a simple multi-tester. Today that doesn't work. The automotive computers are programmed pretty good so they will record engine codes when parts fail. But sometimes they don't point you in the right direction and it can be like finding "the needle in the haystack". A decent mechanic can usually fix any problem....given enough time to chase down all the possibilities. But it's gonna pretty hard for him to charge you for 40 hours work at $80 per hour. Do the math. Its a lot easier to say "this is a characteristic". Sheet! They should have told you its a "feature" to let you know that you're accelerating fast....just as believable.

But you and I know different. Something changed with your engine or a control component. It didn't ping before - and now it does. I suggest you try a higher octane fuel to see if it helps. Also - check your EGR valve (my 98 has one, I'm assuming your 2001 does too). Go back to that dealer and enter the showroom like a car buyer. Find a 2001 with the same engine and transmission as your car and take it for a test drive. You don't have to lie to the salesman. Tell his straight out that your 2001 pings like hell and you want the same car but without the pinging. After you drive the car and get it nice and warmed up and it doesn't ping: drive it right into the service bay to show the
"engineer". Then ask him if he really thinks its a characteristic or if he's just incompetent.

Then go someplace where you can get decent service. Remember - the front desk dipwad at the dealership is not a mechanic. His sole function is to sell you parts that can be replaced. He will never guarantee that what he does will fix your problem. New car dealerships set it up this way. That way - they are not responsible for taking all your money and leaving your car un-fixed. I'm sure you noticed that you will never get a chance to talk to a mechanic at the dealership. Go someplace else - where they don't sell cars. Deal with guys whose only business is fixing cars.
brooster42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004, 07:13 AM   #3
AlkatrazCh
AF Newbie

A little rough on the edges, but lots of wisdom
AlkatrazCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004, 07:02 PM   #4
David Powell
AF Newbie

If it is a emission problem, EGR and related sensors it just might still be covered under the federal emissions law. Someone who does tune-ups should be able to help. Look for ASE CERTIFIED TECHS IN TUNE UP AND DIAGNOSTICS. I have a 01 as well and it does not ping. Get the old parts BACK...keep us posted
David Powell is offline   Reply With Quote