Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Intrepid
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 12:30 AM   #1
eaganm
AF Newbie

1999 Dodge Intrepid Running Hot

I have a 1999 Dodge Intrepid 2.7 L DOHC that continues to run hot. I have replaced the thermostat, fans, relief value and have done a radiator flush.

After I have had these things done the car does fine for about a week then back to the same old crap. I can drive about 40 miles in the morning time nothing happens. In the afternoon about 20 miles then the temp gauge starts rising so I turn on my heater for about 5 minutes till it goes down then turn the ac back on for the next 20 miles home and does fine.

If I turn the car off for about 10 minutes or less then crank it back up the temp gauge jumps way up there I sit and let it idle till it goes back down on its own without the heater.

If anyone has had the same problem please let me know what you did to fix it.
eaganm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 12:53 PM   #2
Tony Silva
AF Regular

Re: 1999 Dodge Intrepid Running Hot

I had a heating issue with my old Intrepid. It was infact a 1999...same as yours. And it also had the (crappy) 2.7 DOHC. It overheated one day but the temp guage never went above half way. Any how, all I did was loosen the little valve on the front top of the engine where the radiator hose connects to the engine and filled the coolant resivoir with fresh coolant. I poured the new coolant in till I saw it comming out the top of the valve then I tightened the valve. Then I drove the car around and repeated the process 2 more times to get all the air out of the system....I let the engine cool down before eagh time that I opened up the coolant systen

This 2.7 engine is a really poor design. I hate it...thats all I am gonna say.
Tony Silva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 06:18 PM   #3
eaganm
AF Newbie

Re: 1999 Dodge Intrepid Running Hot

I was told it could be the temperature sensor gauge.

Two days ago I had drove it about 25 miles some of those miles were in town when I got close to my destination the temp gauge started to rise 3/4 of the way so I was able to get it parked and turned the engine off. I raised the hood and there was no steam or boiling sound.
eaganm is offline   Reply With Quote