Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > NSX
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-01-2003, 06:52 PM   #1
Bulletproof
AF Newbie

Why would you want to buy an NSX (Seriously)

Hi, I am asking this in the most sincere way possible. Why would you want to buy an NSX? The 2004 model is about $90,000 before taxes etc. and it offers a mere 210lb of torque which you could get from a car that costs 20k. And at $90,000 you have a huge amount of choices of cars to get. I even think the '30 Dodge Viper at 400+ lb of torque is at 79k.

Now remember I'm not out to put down the NSX, I just want to know why you would choose it over the many other choices like a viper or a porsche or a used lamborghini, BMW or Mercedez-Benz. Or even a new Subuaru Impreza.
Bulletproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2003, 08:43 PM   #2
Jay!
Horizontally Opposed

Send a message via AIM to Jay! Send a message via Yahoo to Jay!
Re: Why would you want to buy an NSX (Seriously)

Recommended reading:

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...ad.php?t=61891

(starts out hostile, but becomes a decent discussion on the same point. Some input from NSX owners, too...)
Jay! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2003, 05:22 PM   #3
ghetto7o2azn
AF Enthusiast

the nsx might not be that powerful, or that exotic...but just because it doesnt have a lot of hp doesnt mean it isnt that fast...a viper may have 400hp but it is heavier and it does it buy pure power...the nsx on the other hand has a lot of technology put into it...the capabuilities of the nsx are huge and the reliabuility is what you would expect from honda...

something to think about
nsx-r: 1/4 mi 12.8
new viper: 1/4 mi 12.37

dont forget that the new viper has a 500hp v10 while the nsx has a 290hp v6...is hp everything? definatly not

Last edited by ghetto7o2azn; 11-19-2003 at 05:42 PM.
ghetto7o2azn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2003, 12:19 PM   #4
adamsacura
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to adamsacura
Take an NSX around a hair-pin turn going 70MPH and then you'll understand......

I have an NSX....and this car is absolutely a dream to drive...I haven't driven other exotics, but I have talked to a lot of other people who have, and it seems like a lot of them always come back to the NSX because they loved it so much....
adamsacura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 12:07 AM   #5
yellownsx
AF Newbie

The reasons that I own an NSX...........
1) The sheer beauty of it: When my car goes by most eyes are on it, the car makes a statement.
2) Nothing to prove: The car is fast.... I don't have to prove it, it is a fact, you can get 50 in first gear. (not as fast as a viper, but I have comfort, see below)
3) Comfort: I have driven from Chicago to Nashville in comfort, not quite like a caddy but you aren't begging to get out of it like a Viper or an older Vette (still love older Vettes though)
4) Dependability: When it is all said and done it is still a honda, that cuts both ways of course, but it will always start, It will always run and it will last a loooooog time. I understand that there is an nsx in the club with 275,000 miles without a rebuild. Not sure how well it is running quite honestly, but glad someone is getting their moneys worth. (as for the sword cutting the other way...it is still ONLY a honda. But it is the best they make).
5) Handling: The car drives so well that it will make you believe that you are a better driver than you are. (this too is a double edge sword).The car corners so well that your control even at higher speeds is all but absolte.
Above are the reasons that I own an NSX, it does everything very well but it is never quite at the top of the class, except in handling. on a race course it is one second behind a ZO-6 with the same driver, same track. (not bad for a 6, eh?). It is (IMHO) much nicer looking than a vette. Also, I didn't want to be "just another Vette".
(yes, I expect flames)
yellownsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2003, 01:26 PM   #6
chris26969
AF Enthusiast

I honestly couldnt justify to spend that much money on a car that doesnt put out that great of numbers. Id personally buy 3 Lancer Evolutions , Bmw 7 series, Dodge Viper, used ferrari, used lamborghini. Im just saying if you have 100k to spend why not go and get a ridiculous exotic car that would stand out ridiculously. Honda = reliability and if people dont know that , they should be shot . But when your average idiot sees an NSX they think its pretty but they notice its a honda and they dont seem to "impressed" Id rather buy a lamborghini or ferrrari to sport the name, power and unique styling. and hell. Id own a ferrari !
-MBC
-Upper Intercooler piping 1g Flange
-Turbo Intake
-BOV
-2 inch Drop
-Red/Orange paint job
-17" rims
-Indigo Gauges
chris26969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2003, 07:43 PM   #7
yellownsx
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris26969
I honestly couldnt justify to spend that much money on a car that doesnt put out that great of numbers. Id personally buy 3 Lancer Evolutions , Bmw 7 series, Dodge Viper, used ferrari, used lamborghini. Im just saying if you have 100k to spend why not go and get a ridiculous exotic car that would stand out ridiculously. But when your average idiot sees an NSX they think its pretty but they notice its a honda and they dont seem to "impressed" Id rather buy a lamborghini or ferrrari to sport the name, power and unique styling. and hell. Id own a ferrari !
I have a niece who owns a shop that does work only for high-end cars. On a recent occassion they told me about a clutch for a Ferrari (308gts) The clutch plate and pressure plate from Ferrari were $7000. The throwout bearing was part of another part so you have to buy the whole thing....Another $7000. the flywheel is more, but they sent that out to a machine shop to be reworked versus buying a new one. When it was all said and done the owner put out $20,000 for a clutch! (and you want a Ferrari?) BTW...An NSX beats a Ferrari F-355 ( Stock vs stock).
One other fine point about Ferrari.....Unreliable! The new ones are better and will run 80% of the time you put the key in. ( Lamborghini's numbers are not quite that good)
The EVO (and WRX as long as we're at it) are incredible as far as speed, Truly! But the turbos and motors burn up after less than 50k, Yes, you can rebuild and replace (and much cheeper than the nsx). But if speed is all you want, you're in the wrong forum. ( Do those cars have style? )
As for the Viper....Hehehehe...(this is my FAVORITE car to pick on!)
The speed is incredible! I bow before it in that department! Of course, it has to use the Biggest lowtech engine made in America ( nope, not slamming the country, I love it here!) Motor Trend did an artical on them a few years ago. One of the things mentioned, but glossed over is the fact that Dodge had to send 2 cars to do an evaluation. ( they pitted it against several other cars, one of them the ZO-6). With the first car they blew the water pump right off the front of the motor! (COOL!) The Viper is only good in a straight line, and its a Rumble buggy.
I was parked at a Dodge dealership and all the salesmen came out to look at my car!
Ok ok, end of rant! I did alot of looking before buying the NSX, I could have bought a ZO-6 for value but just not Crazy about the car (and I get 21% off the price because someone in my family works for GM). IMHO A used NSX was a better value than the Vette. I have about 50K in it, for another 10K you can buy a comtech supercharger and play with the Vipers.....still debating!
Old 11-02-2003, 09:19 PM   #8
chris26969
AF Enthusiast

see .. first person . Good job man. You responded with intellegence. I earlier stated how i felt and you responded with facts and intellegence. IM glad to actually talk to you. Rather than respond with "f*ck you , yoru stupid!!! NSXXXXs rule DOMESTIC SUCKS. GO HONDA." lol.

Only thing tho, Turbo cars dont burn up like you might think. the turbo cars that burn up are Hondas that people turbo. My gsx was made for a turbo thus incredibly strong pistons and the fuel to match up. Most people who turbo hondas dont even buy the supporting fuel mods and new pistons , thus there car will die soon. As for the rest of the stuff you said, great job on responding . this was a first in the forum world that someone doesnt flame back.
-MBC
-Turbo Intake
-BOV
-2 inch Drop
-Red/Orange paint job
-17" rims
-Indigo Gauges
Old 11-02-2003, 10:30 PM   #9
yellownsx
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris26969
Only thing tho, Turbo cars dont burn up like you might think. the turbo cars that burn up are Hondas that people turbo. My gsx was made for a turbo thus incredibly strong pistons and the fuel to match up.
Only going by first hand experiance. A friend of mine had a Sunbird Turbo from the factory. Inside the warrentee period (36K) he had GM replace the turbo twice and the motor once, admittedy, he was VERY hard on the car.
Another guy had a 3000GT VR4 and had the turbo go out on it @ 62,000.
No intention of flames here, seems childish.
BTW..this is the first time you mentioned that your car is a GSX, you mention mods, but not the car.

98 Acura NSX, Spa yellow pearl
97 Acura 3.2 TL
90 Acura Integra
91 Honda Accord
Old 11-02-2003, 10:47 PM   #10
chris26969
AF Enthusiast

Yea i have a 98 mitsu GSX with the mods that are in my SIG. Its pretty fast for what it is. In the dsm world ive read aalot of people @ 130-140k miles with original turbo. Maybe the Garret and Mitsu turbos last longer than the ones that GM uses?? dont really have an answer with facts to back it up tho.
-MBC
-Turbo Intake
-BOV
-2 inch Drop
-Red/Orange paint job
-17" rims
-Indigo Gauges
Old 11-13-2003, 11:28 AM   #11
Drop-2nd!!
AF Newbie

I can give u a list of a fiew cars that are alot better buy!
RSX S
WRX,STI
S2000
AUDI s4
BMW M3
RX-8
EVO 8
350z
All of these are alot less on price, and with a little money alot more fun to race, an show!
Drop-2nd!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 11:33 AM   #12
chris26969
AF Enthusiast

I much agree.
-MBC
-Turbo Intake
-BOV
-2 inch Drop
-Red/Orange paint job
-17" rims
-Indigo Gauges
Old 11-13-2003, 11:40 AM   #13
BLU CIVIC
調整器

Send a message via MSN to BLU CIVIC Send a message via Yahoo to BLU CIVIC

NSX is a different kind or car for a different kind of people.....simple as that....once u drive and own it ....u'll know what they are talking about....enjoying a car isn't about the price or the #'s it puts out....itz about the sheer experience of the drive
1991 Civic Sedan DX - 185.8whp/139tq. Tuned on NepTune by J.Mills
2006 G35 Coupe 6MT - Stock
2011 CR-Z - Stock
BLU CIVIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 11:46 AM   #14
chris26969
AF Enthusiast

Oh i completely understand what your saying also. Its just previous people have been stating that its an ultimate car which its not, because cars at an easy 1/4 of the price will smoke it in a race.
-MBC
-Turbo Intake
-BOV
-2 inch Drop
-Red/Orange paint job
-17" rims
-Indigo Gauges
Old 11-13-2003, 08:38 PM   #15
yellownsx
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Why would you want to buy an NSX (Seriously)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop-2nd!!
I can give u a list of a fiew cars that are alot better buy!
RSX S
WRX,STI
S2000
AUDI s4
BMW M3
RX-8
EVO 8
350z
All of these are alot less on price, and with a little money alot more fun to race, an show!
{sigh}
Here we go again, Put a turbo in a box and its cool!
Never mind the speed, Look at the Evo vs the NSX, Is it more cool?
How about the WRX, does it LOOK cool? (gag) At least the evo has Some style. Pull the turbo out of either car and it can't get out of its own way. There is a 2 liter engine in an EVO! (cool)
RSX is a Cute car, not cool, but cute. I'll give slightly better marks for the S2000 (would have bought one if I fit in it, Required the jaws of life to get back out of it, so never even got to test drive it) The only other problem that I have with the S2000 is that it has to rev too high to hold a decent speed ( But I still think its cute ) not faster than the NSX either.
I was in a nissan dealership And the dealer was talking $hit. Said that the 350z would beat any Jap non-turbo made today I told him I beg to differ. The conversation became heated And I told him that I would Race my stock 6 cyl against his 350z for titles He was saying DONE! But his boss said, wait a minute. What king of car is it? I told him An NSX. ( the snotty dealer said that he never heard of it ) His boss told him forget it, that if he (the boss ) had not been there that the young salesman would be working for a long time without a paycheck. I told the guy that the offer is still good anytime. (it's close, but I'd still win).
That said, I like the Z, if I didn't have the bucks to shell out on the NSX it would be a choice I might make.
RX-8: This is a really cute car! I have admired a couple on the streets in Chicago. The qualms that I have are with Mazda in general not the RX-8. Mazda does not build a quality automobile, They ARE getting better but have not yet arrived. The RX-7 build quality was pretty good other than you can't get a Wankle engine to start on a cold winters morning. That aside, the idea of a rotory engine is a good one. So much horse power is lost trying to get the power of pistons going up and down to transfer to the crankshaft and making it move in its circular pattern. The rotory engine does this without losing ANYTHING because its already going in circles. The RX-8 is still new and untested over time. Is it a cool car? YES, It is. put it next to the NSX and tell me that the RX-8 is cooler, can you?
The BMW and Audi probably have the best build quality of the bunch.
( I will give high marks to the S2000, the Z, and the RSX, but these are better) These ARE nice cars, but put up against the NSX for top speed and handling they fall short. (not to mention appearance)!
In Short, Cheaper? Yes! all the above cars are that. If the NSX was mass produced instead of hand made, it might be cheaper. ( to me, that would remove some of the novelty of the car ) I can say that indeed some of those cars are faster, but the NSX will still be in my garage long after you have replaced your second turbo, or grown weary of your EVO of WRX.
Peace