Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Modeling Share your passion for car modeling here! Includes sub-forum for "in progress" and "completed" vehicles.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-22-2016, 07:53 AM   #1
pmmsc
AF Newbie

Kitsdb - Collections Manager

Hello everyone,

At a few weeks ago happened to me something that is not the first time it happens. I bought a kit and when I got home I noticed had the same kit. I was damned!!! However, there was nothing else to do...
After this episode and being a good 30 minutes looking for my kits collection, I decided I had to find a way to organize and catalog the collection of models, in order to always have at hand the information of my kits.
The years go by and we came to a point where sometimes no longer remember this or that kit we have.
Because of this, I decided to make a program to catalog and, thereby, have in computerized form, my collection kits. Had to be a simple and easy to use program. I thought to do a table in Excel, but despite being practical, was not ideal. Therefore, I decided to take my BD's programmer experience and create a database practical and intuitive ... as I thought it would not be the only person in need of such a tool, I decided to do the program in Microsoft Access to be able to share with all.
I gave him the name of Kitsdb - Collections Manager. Has the Portuguese and English languages. It works in Microsoft Access versions 2007, 2010, 2013 and 2016. For those who do not have Access, Microsoft have available on your website to download a "runtime" version of Access that allows read and execute BD's. The program is all it programmable, one can adjust it to your needs and tastes. For this, you need a full version of Access.

The download link is:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/57eh9m2tqv...itsdb.rar?dl=0

I also share a few pictures of some screens in the program.

I hope you enjoy it and it is a useful tool...
If anyone has any opinion or improvement that thought that the program should have or do not hesitate to say, I would like to have your feedback in order to help, if possible, to have a program that helps you to organize your collections.
Model making is not only cut, paste and paint... the organization is also a very important factor, the more organized the better the results...
My best regards to all.

Pedro Cunha

pmmsc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pmmsc For This Useful Post:
gtziaf (03-28-2016)
Old 03-22-2016, 07:01 PM   #2
da_ashman
AF Enthusiast

Re: Kitsdb - Collections Manager

Great Idea, but i think Scale mates beat you too it awhile ago.
https://www.scalemates.com/

It's Not wheather you Win or Lose, its how you look while you play the Game
da_ashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 09:29 PM   #3
BVC500
AF Enthusiast

Thanks! I'm going to give it a try!
BVC500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 06:16 PM   #4
gasdriverca
AF Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to gasdriverca

Yeah...scalemates beat ya to it buddy. looks a cool program though.
Panasonic Toyota TF102 (Mcnish)
gasdriverca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 05:29 AM   #5
pmmsc
AF Newbie

Hello everyone,

I would first like to thank your comments. It's good to know you liked the program.

I know well the Scalemates website and I am also a user. It's a great website. The team that took the idea and developed the database is to be congratulated. It's a great place where we can find everything that is related with our kits.

As an autodidact I am and how I like to develop support tools to help us in day to day in this magnificent hobby, I decided to create this program.
The idea was born with the need to have the information of the kits I have without having to depend on an internet connection. As I like to help the modeling community, shared the program to make available to everyone a tool that can help organize your kits collections.
I have no aim to develop a program that makes competition with other programs, or gain anything from it.

Like you, I am only a modeler who likes to help and share to the community my knowledge.

My best regards to all.
Old 03-24-2016, 12:11 PM   #6
pmmsc
AF Newbie

Hello everyone!

Taking into account the various suggestions and opinions made to me during these days in the various places where I published the program, will make a new version including the following options:
- Create shopping lists, in order to make list of tools, paints and other items that we will need to by.
- Create a module to enable the registration of kits that we want to buy.
- Events Calendar, so you do not forget any date!

Some suggestions were about the possibility of connection with the Scalemates site database, but the only way we can use the information posted on the site is even exporting the site lists in .csv format!
Taking into account that does not export all data and as the .csv file would have to be worked and prepared to be able to be imported into Kitsdb program, does not justify such an operation, because the information is not complete and this operation requires advanced knowledge of access and excel ... Unfortunately not all have this knowledge ...

Anyway, soon give news of the new version. Then I will see how best way to copy the current version of the data to the new version ... in order to don’t lose data!

My best regards to all.
Old 03-26-2016, 08:18 PM   #7
pmmsc
AF Newbie

Hello everyone!

As promised, here is the program with the upgrade.

The new features are:
- Event Calendar, allows log all events that we find important.
- Shopping lists, allows you to create shopping lists with all the stuff we need.
- Wish Kits, allows recording all the kits we intend to acquire.

Slightly changed the layout of some buttons and created new screens for the system tables (Data System).

Could not let the program as it was, after announcing that it would make an improved version with new features. It was with a feeling of unfinished work...

So, get to work and made new Kitsdb 2.0 program in a lightning operation ... with few hours of sleep ... but with the mission accomplished...

Download Link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/55jyk7ex00...tsdb2.rar?dl=0

As I said earlier, I do not want to gain anything from this. The program Kitsdb - Collections Manager is not designed to compete with anyone ... Being modeler like all of you, only share my knowledge and works to contribute to the community. As such, I do not compare this to other programs, such as the scalemates, which in my opinion, is the best program of all. I am user of this excellent platform itself.

Kitsdb is just another one of the various existing programs for the purpose it was designed, manage our kits collections.

Greetings to all and good Easter!

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling