Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Classic Cars
Classic Cars Do you just love the classics?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 08:37 AM   #1
ellev8or
AF Regular

67 Bonneville--Shop Manuals & Diagrams

6.6L 400cid
2 DR HT

Hello to all,

First, I'm being taken advantage by some unethical auto mechanics in the area here concerning my Bonneville.

Since the overheating wasn't properly being diagnosed by the first five guys, I took it in to a guy who assured me that for $400 he could accurately pinpoint the issue if I'd put it on his machine. This guy including all the others claimed it to be cracked heads or blown head gaskets. I explained there was no white smoke or fluids from the exhaust, that I had recently installed a new radiator, water pump, hoses, thermostat, the works, and that after 5-10 minutes of driving the car would overheat to temps of 300 degrees. When I'd open the radiator cap the fluids would burst out like a volcano.

I pulled the heads and took them in to a machine shop and this guy told me the heads were not cracked, the head gaskets looked fresh and reusable, and additionally stated that the heads look great without warps.

Went back to the previous guys to let them know that the heads were good and they all begin shouting that it must be the engine block. Just before pulling the block to take it in to the machine shop, two unknown guys stopped me and stated that if the heads are good then the engine block is good. They said that if something was wrong with the heads it would start in the engine first then work its way up to the heads. They added that if there's no white smoke or fluids coming from the exhaust pipe then its something simple, time consuming to find and not in the internal part of the engine. I might need to replace a few other parts but nothing major. This is what they warned me of.

Now I need shop manuals with the exploded view and diagrams of the engine so I can do-it-myself. Does anybody know of such manuals and if so please direct me.

Sorry for the long story but I thought it was necessary to let you know what has happened to me and how I find you guys here trusting because so far you've gotten me out of awful places with all your valuable info. It's so darn hard to find a trusting, honest auto repair guy. When they see you drive up in a fine classic they immediately assume you have money to blow.

Thanks for listening and I welcome your advice.
ellev8or is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:21 PM   #2
maxwedge
A990 racer

Re: 67 Bonneville--Shop Manuals & Diagrams

You need a full cooling system diagnosis, I believe this has been discussed before, but try E bay first. Modern cooling system diagnostic techniques are are more accurate than in 67, but the basics remain the same.
Old 09-13-2012, 02:57 PM   #3
ellev8or
AF Regular

I've had a couple of cooling system diagnosis and they stated its a blown head or head gasket. They said it wasn't the cooling system.

I don't know what else to do.
ellev8or is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 07:08 PM   #4
maxwedge
A990 racer

How did they diagnose the head gasket issue and what were the definitive results.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:20 PM   #5
skip57
AF Newbie

Maxwedge is telling you the truth!!! This is a simple and over looked problem throwing parts at it will not work. A vapor tester over the rad opening could have proven it was not a bad head or gasket. I suggest checking the timing mark on the harmonic balancer,is it true. Are you running the carb way to lean (check the spark plugs color, use the AC's or CHAMPION's).
Has this engine been rebuilt or long time storage? Have you tried a coolant flushing?
skip57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:47 PM   #6
skip57
AF Newbie

Did you figure out the trans? What is the trans pan shape and the # of gears in the dash?
skip57 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Classic Cars