Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Renault > Espace
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 09:39 AM   #1
relhuk
AF Newbie

the heat is on....err off.

Hi newbie here.
I have a mk III espace 1998 2.2 dti. the heater has been pants since i bought the car. over the past few months it has become worse now stone cold.(blower fine - no heat)
When i bought the car it had recently had a new head gasket and apparently "repairs to the heater".
It has recently overheated a few times on long distance journeys. I am convinced that it has the infamous renault air lock as the top of the rad is cold even on overheating. no doubt this is the cause of the lack of heat to matrix too?
I have attempted to top expansion bottle up with engine running and 2x bleed screws on hoses open until no air is visible but it hasnt seemed to help PLUS the renault pdf i found states this should NOT be done with engine running.....so how do you get the water pressure/air purge with engine off??

N.B i have yet to witness/hear the cooling fans operating even with an overheating engine..... (i know they run independant of eachother at different temps)...but alas still no evidence. thermostat? faulty fans or airlock?????or maybe i just havent noticed...might explain overheat either way but not matrix etc.

So, my question is how do i bleed the cooling system of air. I have read so many different methods (all as clear as mud). can it be as simple as removing the lug top left of the rad (as you stand over the engine)I presume this can be removed?Or removing hose at top of rad and topping up with water/coolant via a funnel etc? also i understand the heater matrix has a bleed valve(s) but you must either dismantle the dashboard mmmm nice job or be some sort of olympic gymnast to gain access.... any advice offered with gratitude - confused of scunthorpe.
relhuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 09:46 AM   #2
relhuk
AF Newbie

Re: the heat is on....err off.

me again...
just wanted to add......i think im sure that its located on engine block but is the thermostat/heat sensor/trigger for fans at top of rad?....this would explain perhaps why the fans do not trip as top of rad is cold?....... cheers
relhuk is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Renault > Espace