Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Motorcycles & Choppers > Dirt Bikes
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 07:43 PM   #1
carljordan
AF Newbie

need some help! Can Am 1980 175

hello, I just came into possesion of a 1980 Can Am 175 Qualifier and I am looking to fix it up. I am wondering if you guys/girls know where I could come upon a repair manual for this vintage bike. I have been searching with no success.
Thank you ahead of time, hope to hear from you.
carljordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 09:48 AM   #2
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

Re: need some help! Can Am 1980 175

WOO HOOO!!!!!
I love those old Can-Ams. I have a 400 MX6-B, about the last Open-class Canadian-made motocrosser. I also have the remains of a 175 Qualifier as parts, but the bike was so badly abused there was just about nothing left.

Check E-bay or the net for some leads and info in parts and service. Years ago, I knew of a couple of Canada Post employees in Oshawa, Ontario who had cornered the market on parts. I do not know if they are still into it, though.

As 2-strokes go, these bikes were pretty simple and straightforward. Anyone with 2-stroke dirtbike repair experience can figure out how to keep one running.

Factory-original parts are very difficult to find. But many parts, like fenders, cables, handlebars, tires/spokes/rims, drivechain, shocks, filters, lines, and most electrical parts can be adapted from other makes of bikes or from generic parts.

As a last resort, keep your eye open for other Can-Ams for sale. These bikes, especially broken ones go really cheap and would be good for parts..... even if you do not need the parts right now.
MagicRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 02:04 PM   #3
carljordan
AF Newbie

no idea where to get a manual for it though eh?
carljordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 03:09 PM   #4
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by carljordan View Post
no idea where to get a manual for it though eh?
I do not know of any 'aftermarket' (chiltons, Hayes etc) manuals for Can Ams.

I expect there were some factory service manuals out there (like what the dealer's service departments used) but I have never seen one.

The owner's manuals had some basic service info that is pretty helpful, but does not cover major work like engine rebuilds.

All I can suggest is to look on-line to see if one comes up for sale.

Service manuals for other makes of older, air-cooled 2-stroke dirtbikes will help, in terms of basic theory for repairing such bikes.
Can Am engines, transmissions, brakes etc etc were very similar in basic design and layout to all the big-bore air-cooled 2-stroke Japanese bikes.
MagicRat is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Motorcycles & Choppers > Dirt Bikes