Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > Lucerne
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 11:16 AM   #1
jackmalone2001
AF Regular

New to the Lucerne

Hello everyone!

My name is Jack and I have just bought a 2006 Buick Lucerne CXS with 35000 miles and I love it so far. I have been on this forum for quite a while now, and swear by the advice and info I get from you.

I would like to find out more about the Northstar 4.6l V8 that is in the car such as maintenance intervals and helpful tips. Do any of you know where I can find a ton of info about the Northstar?

Thank you all for making this website the best resource for car people.

Jack

after:
jackmalone2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 05:31 PM   #2
jackmalone2001
AF Regular

Re: New to the Lucerne

Hello Everybody,

Well it's been about a week since I posted my request from the Forum for any information on the Buick Lucerne and the Northstar V8. Haven't heard anything since, but I wanted to respond with a resource that I found that may help all of you. For about $15 bucks I bought manuals that may be useful to this community.

Search for:

BUICK LUCERNE 2006-2009 SERVICE REPAIR MANUALS 2008 2007

on the following webpage:

http://www.tradebit.com

or in a Google search engine.

Good luck everybody!!!

Jack

after:
Old 03-21-2011, 05:57 AM   #3
polarzak
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmalone2001 View Post

I would like to find out more about the Northstar 4.6l V8

Jack
Congratulation on the Lucerne. It is a great looking car. Unfortunately that is all I can say about mine. If you want to read my experience with a new one, check my posts here" The Lucerne is no Buick". I do hope you enjoy yours.

As for the NorthStar, I don't have one in mine, but I do remember my neighbor having one in a 99 Cadillac and it burnt oil like crazy. I asked him about it last night and he seems to recall it didn't have much in the way of mileage, and there was a GM service bulletin. GM had to fix it twice, but he doesn't remember what they did. One thing he did say was if you change your own oil, remember it takes almost twice the oil as the 3.8 engine.

Good luck. Nice car. I hope yours treats you well.
polarzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 09:43 PM   #4
sreilly77
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Hello everyone!

My name is Jack and I have just bought a 2006 Buick Lucerne CXS with 35000 miles and I love it so far. I have been on this forum for quite a while now, and swear by the advice and info I get from you.

I would like to find out more about the Northstar 4.6l V8 that is in the car such as maintenance intervals and helpful tips. Do any of you know where I can find a ton of info about the Northstar?

Thank you all for making this website the best resource for car people.

Jack

Hey Jack,

I am pretty new to the Lucerne as well. I have a 2006 CXL, but I too have the 4.6L Northstar V8. And after 10 months and putting almost 20,000 miles on it (I bought it with around 28,000 miles, has a little over 47,000 miles on it), I couldn't be happier with this car. It is a little more expensive to change the oil since it takes 7.5 quarts of 5W-30, but it is very easy to do yourself and I change mine myself. I do hear a lot about the Northstar engines burning oil, but mine doesn't burn oil at all. I drive it on the highway a lot and have no issues what-so-ever. I did have to buy new tires, which were pretty expensive (almost $800), but they are 80,000 miles since I do a lot of driving. I also replaced the coolant and trans pan and gasket as well. You have to remove some plastic coverings to get to the radiator, but after that, it isn't too bad to do. But like any other trans service, it was a mess!

I would definitely say to stay on top of this car as far as maintenance (which obviously you should do with any car). I do not pay attention to the oil life monitor at all. I change the oil every 3000 miles. And I have done that with every car I've own and they have ran well over 200,000 miles. If you are mechanically inclined, you can work on this car on your own. However, it is a little tight being that you have the V8, but the work can be done. Also, PRAY that you don't ever have to replace a headlight bulb. This is because in order to get to it, you have to take the bumper fascia off, as well as the grill. Thankfully I haven't had to replace any headlight bulb yet, but I know people on this forum who have had to, and it is no picnic. I also put a set a brakes on this car as well (front and rear) and found it to be very simple to do.

Basically, you bought yourself a premium luxury sedan. A car that is meant to be driven daily in my opinion. Yes it is fast, but like any other car, you don't want to beat it. I find that pushing these engines too much is what causes oil burning. Sure I'm no angel and have pushed my Lucerne to its limits, but it is a cruiser car. I am a stickler for keeping up with the maintenance on any car I own, especially with this one. But I really like my Lucerne and I hope that yours serves you the way mine serves me. Best of luck to ya!
Old 04-04-2011, 07:22 PM   #5
jackmalone2001
AF Regular

You know Sean, It's people like you that make this forum the great resource that it is. I can only hope more people reply to posts and offer their insight.

Thanks again, Sean!

Take care, Jack

after:
Old 04-07-2011, 07:17 PM   #6
sreilly77
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
You know Sean, It's people like you that make this forum the great resource that it is. I can only hope more people reply to posts and offer their insight.

Thanks again, Sean!

Take care, Jack
Thank you for such kind words, Jack! I appreciate it. And I hope you enjoy your Lucerne as much as I enjoy mine!