Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caravan | Voyager
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 06:39 PM   #1
Tehscotsman
AF Newbie

03 Dodge Grand Caravan No Crank

I've been fighting with these vehicle for months, and I've only been able to narrow down the list of possible issues. Tried replacing the ignition switch, battery terminals and cables, starter, and even a PCM since according to the dealership it was bad. I've checked all the fuses and relays, and they're all ok.

I'm getting fuel and spark, but no crank from the starter. The voltage going to the hot post on the starter is 12.7, but the voltage from the igniton wire is only reading around .5-.6, fluctuating a bit. Before I spend the money on taking it to a mechanic I wanted to know what your opinions were on what the next step is. I know a bit about electrical systems in cars but I'm no expert. Any help you guys could offer would help incredibly. Thanks in advance.
Tehscotsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 06:39 PM   #2
RIP
AF -Advisor

Re: 03 Dodge Grand Caravan No Crank

When you have a no rotation (crank) starting problem the first stop is the starter relay because most of the system can be tested from there. Remove the starter relay and jump contacts 30 to 87 (numbers on bottom of relay). This bypasses the relay output contacts and all of the control circuit that powers the relay coil on. The starter should spin keys in your pocket. If it does the output side of the starter relay circuit is good meaning the starter fuse, starter, battery and half of the system wiring. If it doesn't spin you look at those components plus the relay and wiring. Checked fuse/relay? Can I amuse you've tried another starter relay? Are you getting 12vdc on both sides of the starter fuse - 40amp fuse#9.

Hope you didn't buy the PCM from the dealer.

07 Fusion / 06 RAV4 / 06 Accord / 96 Gr Caravan
RIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 02:56 PM   #3
Tehscotsman
AF Newbie

Sorry I didn't respond earlier work has left me with little time to work on this thing. By jumping pins 30 and 87 I got it to click several times, and while it would not outright spin up the clutch and belts started to turn. I know the starter is good, so the issue is in the wiring somewhere along the line. Any particular suggestions on that route? Electrical is not my strong point.

You were correct in assuming I've tested the relay and fuse. And no, I bought a reman computer and had it programmed by the supplier.
Tehscotsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 02:53 PM   #4
RIP
AF -Advisor

Jumping the relay contacts and still seeing a problem eliminates the ign switch, starter relay, PCM and yards of wiring. It narrows it to the battery, starter, IPM and circuit wiring.

I would verify you're seeing 12vdc at contact 30 at the relay socket then measure resistance from contact 87 to the solenoid connection at the starter. Shouldn't see more than a couple ohms. Reverify the voltage at the same.

Need a diagram? Post your email address or send me a private message and include the email address to send it to. How? Click RIP at left.

07 Fusion / 06 RAV4 / 06 Accord / 96 Gr Caravan
RIP is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caravan | Voyager