Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caravan | Voyager
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 12:06 PM   #1
Black_Blade
AF Regular

Only runs with foot on the gas pedal?

Have a 06 Grand Caravan 3.8L that suddenly quit and would start back up easily enough, but one had to keep foot on the gas to keep it going.

I pulled two codes:
P0123-throttle postion sensor 1 high
P0508-IAC valve sensor circuit low/undercurrent

So far I have removed the IAC and cleaned it with throttle body cleaner, cleaned throttle body out as well with the spray, installed new EGR since it got mangled trying to remove it for cleaning. Removed the TPS connector and with key on, took measurements and I am getting a reference voltage proper ( almost 5 volts). I then back probed the connector once it was plugged back in and again things checked out, the reference lead was varying between .7 and 4.7 volts as I manually moved the throttle plate.

I had switched out the IAC with a used one, from an engine that had been running before being parked, but it made no change.

Note: I have a new TPS but am holding off on changing it until I investigate whether or not it may have a clogged fuel filter causing it to stall at idle speed. Now if can just locate where it is..the sketchy diagrams in my Alldata program are of little help.

Last edited by Black_Blade; 07-16-2014 at 08:42 PM.
Black_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 07:35 AM   #2
Black_Blade
AF Regular

Re: Only runs with foot on the gas pedal?

Is the fuel filter inside the fuel tank on these models?
Old 07-18-2014, 06:15 AM   #3
Black_Blade
AF Regular

"adjusted the idle screw" was the note left for me this morning and it has apparently fixed this problem. I had left a message for an retired mechanic I knew, and he had came in and looked at it last night.

I wasn't aware there was an idle adjustment screw anywhere...that idle was taken care of by the computer via IAC etc...
Old 07-18-2014, 11:36 PM   #4
RIP
AF -Advisor

Wasn't aware of it either. What RPM is it idling at now? Does it maintain idle when you turn on the A/C?

BTW - Won't be the pump. It spins at the same RPM whether the pedal is floored or at idle because it gets the same 12vdc all the time. No filter on an 06. Just the inlet sock on the pump.

07 Fusion / 06 RAV4 / 06 Accord / 96 Gr Caravan
RIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 02:17 PM   #5
Black_Blade
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIP View Post
Wasn't aware of it either. What RPM is it idling at now? Does it maintain idle when you turn on the A/C?

BTW - Won't be the pump. It spins at the same RPM whether the pedal is floored or at idle because it gets the same 12vdc all the time. No filter on an 06. Just the inlet sock on the pump.
It turns out it is a factory set idle screw, should not need to change it, for by doing so is just masking the problem. When the A/C is turned on and loads down the engine, it chugs and almost stalls out. I have went ahead and installed new TPS and IAC but it made no difference, although its still running those codes after I cleared the DTC's.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caravan | Voyager