Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > Riviera
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 09:57 AM   #1
edwinn
Buick Enthusiast

Horn usually doesn't work

1997 Riviera - 3.8 Liter, L36 - 141,717 miles

Since the "Damaged tilt wheel mechanism" repair back in summer 2012, the horn (both sides) usually doesn't work. Sometimes it works when testing it along a back road, but doesn't seem to work when needed. It has passed a couple state inspections so far, but other times, pressing the horn EIGHT times all over the top surface won't make it sound. The horn works each time the remote door LOCK is used.

I think it's simply a bad connection in the steering wheel hub, or needs deox'ing, de-greasing, tightening.

Is there any history of this? any danger going into the steering wheel center? like the air bag blowing? I have the 3-vol shop manuals and can read (and follow) the dis-assy procedure.

Thanks,

-Ed
edwinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 03:43 PM   #2
Tech II
AF Fanatic

Re: Horn usually doesn't work

Well, Edwinn, if the remote works every time, but the steering pad doesn't, then it's a problem in the column....all it is is a ground circuit to the horn relay.....

Unfortunately, it could be the switches in the SIR pad......I think they are part of the airbag, and are not serviceable(could be wrong).....

There is a wire that comes off the air bag and grounds into the steering wheel.....could be a bad connection there.....could be a bad connection at the pass-through to the cancel cam.....

Only way to know for sure is remove the air bag....since you have the manuals, you should read the proper procedure for disabling the air bag before attempting this....
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 08:10 AM   #3
edwinn
Buick Enthusiast

Thanks Tech II,

The horn worked intermittently during the summer, but is completely DEAD now. It still works LOUDLY every time when locking the car with the key-remote. There was 2 or 3 times that I really needed to sound the horn for safety reasons, but it would not play a note.

So begrudgingly I'll have to take it in to the guy that did the "tilt wheel bushings", or tackle it myself. Certianly have enough tools.. especially electronic tools, and the 3-Vol GM shop manuals.

It can't be that difficult once the airbag is disabled, and you get to sit in a leather seat while working.

-Ed
Old 12-30-2014, 09:21 PM   #4
Tech II
AF Fanatic

Like I said, I know you have the manuals to this car......disable SIR by removing SIR fuse and disconnecting the yellow SIR connector at the base of the steering column....I think it is torx screws on the back of the wheel that release the the air bag pad.......there is a wire that has a white plastic locking tab on the end going into the cancel cam...push in and rotate to remove to check the contact.....that's the output of the of the horn switch,,,,,,there is another wire that goes to ground(sometimes attached to the center nut of the steering wheel, or grounded elsewhere) that is the input to the horn switch....so when you press the horn switch, you are just grounding the horn relay through the switch down the column.....

You can check the integrity of the circuit down the column, by taking a wire, grounding one end to the center nut, and sticking the other end into the hole where you removed the wire with the long white plastic end...make contact with the bottom of the hole, and the horn should blow.....if it does, the problem is the horn switch in the pad or the wire going to the ground is open....I have also seen repairs where when you stick the plastic end of the wire down into the hole and rotate it, it doesn't click into place because they broke the little retainer on the cancel cam down in the hole....they try to get away with wedging something in the hole, but eventually it works it's way loose and you loose the contact on the end of the spring in the hole, and then the horn does not work,,,,
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 12:45 PM   #5
edwinn
Buick Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech II View Post
You can check the integrity of the circuit down the column..
1997 Riviera - 3.8 Liter, L36 - 143,204 miles

The diagnostic you described above was put off for a long time, and the horn has been intermittent in summer, and pretty much dead in Winter. It was completely OUT when inspection time came around last month.

So I took it to the guy that did the tilt-wheel bushings. They got it working and put a sticker on it for 74 bucks. Not too bad.

There was no clear explanation of the problem, but the circuit goes through the Turn Signal (multifunction switch lever) assy.

-Ed

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > Riviera