Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Volkswagen > Golf
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 05:17 PM   #1
rdeckert
AF Newbie

96 GL with antifreeze in the oil...

My golf is a 2.0L SOHC manual trans. There's some type of watery substance in the oil (coolant or water from condensation because I drive only 8 minutes to work in 20 degree weather 6 days a week). First it was bogging out a little bit so I pulled apart the air box to look at the filter and there was oil in there. I moved up to the air intake and egr tube all the way back to the exhaust manifold where it was coming out. Then I popped the cap off the oil fill and there is very milky brown oil all up in the motor (also in the air intake and egr valve and tube). This is the second golf this has happened to me on right around the same miles. Mine has 161,000 and they are both same year and model, except the other was automatic. I never figured out what was up with the last golf because I just sold it assuming I blew the head gasket. The only difference this time is there was oil in the coolant reservoir on the last one (the exact same looking watery oil), but it's not in this one. It's still all coolant in the reservoir. The other one ran fine still after it started happening and this one does too except for a little bog out every so often. So does anyone know what else this could be? And if it's a common problem?

Last edited by rdeckert; 01-27-2012 at 05:22 PM. Reason: forgot important info
rdeckert is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rdeckert For This Useful Post:
wire2power (01-27-2012)
Old 01-27-2012, 05:32 PM   #2
wire2power
AF Newbie

Re: 96 GL with antifreeze in the oil...

If there's antifreeze in the oil the oil would look milky white. If there's oil in the antifreeze the coolant in the radiator will have black or milky looking splotches floating in it. They can mix if the head gasket or timing cover gasket ruptures or if the engine develops a crack. Pull your dipstick and look at the oil on it. Then remove the radiator cap and look at the coolant. Best to do it when before starting so the engine is cold..

Broken seals cause this.

Soon your car will blow out smoke. Very expensive job!
wire2power is offline   Reply With Quote