Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail Nissans greatest 4WDs and SUVs
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-28-2001, 01:23 AM   #1
jason_2025
AF Newbie

XTerra VS 4Runner (1988)

Hey guys, just found this forum and thought I'd seek out some advice. I'm looking to upgrade from my trusty old 1988 22re 4Runner to an XTerra and was wondering if anyone else had gone a similar route. I've test driven the X a couple of times and find it generally excellent although I think my 4Runner has more responsive steering. I'll check that more carefully on another test drive soon.

Anyway, just looking for comments on this upgrade to see if anyone who had done the same was happy with their X.

Cheers.

J\
jason_2025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2001, 08:58 AM   #2
gothamist
AF Regular

Well, a good friend of mine has an '87 'Runner

He has the V6 version though. Complete stock to stock, the 4Runner seems a little better offroad--running the torsion bars into the upper control arms makes a lot of sense. Their rear diff plug is also more cleverly protected (changing my rear diff oil took some work with a die grinder to make the square drive hole, uh, square, again.) The 4Runner is definitely more top-heavy (bad for off-camber) but much more protected underneath stock.

Of course, if you lift your Xterra, you can post pics like this.

My driving/wheeling impressions are the following:
4Runner has less body roll, with front swaybar connected or disconnected, than the Xterra does.
The X has a good bit more usable power...even with 32" Swampers I can hold 5th on highway hills that the 'Runner needs 4th for.
The X actually seems to flex better offroad in the back, but the 4Runner has a lot more frame clearance than a stock X, and is spring-over-axle in the rear, which helps reduce the number of low hanging things underneath.
The X has a lighter steering feel, but, to me, feels more 'planted' on the highway.
The X is a lot quiter...my X with Swampers is about as loud as the 'Runner w/ AT's.
The 'Runner has a better crawl ratio, due to transfer case gearing of 2.72:1, rather than the X's 2.02:1.
Old 08-28-2001, 09:03 AM   #3
Xcanuk
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Xcanuk Send a message via Yahoo to Xcanuk
almost

I switched from a '90 4runner to a '00 Xterra, I don't regret the switch one bit.. some features were missing, ( like the roll down rear window etc ), but I'm very happy with my upgrade, found the steering and 4x4 balance better. Mind you, its hard to compare a 10 year old to a newborn, but the X came out further ahead compared to the newer versions of the 4runner.
Xcanuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2001, 02:35 AM   #4
jason_2025
AF Newbie

Ok, thanks guys. I don't do as much off roading now as I'd like, it's more that I need the cargo space and the ability to carry people for our film making group. We often need to go off-road to locations too so have a decent 4x4 is important. I also want to move up from my 4Runner while it's worth something too.

Cheers.

J\

Old 08-29-2001, 10:48 AM   #5
Xcanuk
AF Regular

cargo space

In having the 2, the 4runner had more length with the rear seats up, but it seems the X is wider, and you gain height for putting stuff in. With the seats down, the X swallows more. ( Seems like it does ) You might miss not being able to lower the window for the real long stuff, but the rack on the X is real useful for long loads..
Old 08-29-2001, 01:15 PM   #6
jason_2025
AF Newbie

Hmm, I'd not thought about not being able to put things out the open window in the back but that's only an issue if I want to carry 2x4's and stuff.

As far as putting the seats down, I notice that unlike most vechicles you actually remove the X's rear seats. What does one do with them when you do? Is there room to lay them flat against the back of the driver and passenger seats when you fold the backs down?

Cheers.

J\
Old 08-29-2001, 01:22 PM   #7
rrdstarr
AF Enthusiast

Seat Cushions

I remove the rear seat cushions and privacy cover and leave them at home then fold the back seats flat before I head out four wheeling! Three less things you have to shuffle around! Throw your gear in and go!
rrdstarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2001, 01:41 PM   #8
Xcanuk
AF Regular

good and bad

depending where I'm running, the seat bottoms can fit behind the front seats. It comes off similar to the 4runner when folded.
The one advantage to the X in folding the seats and leaving the bottoms at home, it gives you 2 nice storage areas in the footwell. I carry all my tools, gear etc in saddlebags, and they store nicely in the wells, giving me full cargo space. When I did the same thing in the 4runner, the bags became cargo, sometimes I had to pile them into the front seat. I tinted the rear windows darker, so I rarely use the cargo screen.
Old 08-29-2001, 08:54 PM   #9
jason_2025
AF Newbie

One last question: Automatic hubs

So exactly how does this work? For example. We have really odd weather here so there are times when I'm driving that I like to keep the front hubs on my 4Runner locked then I can move in and out of 4WD as road conditions merit. An example of this would be when we get snow near home and for most of my commute to work but the roads can be bare and wet near where I work.

Can you engage the hubs on the X then switch back to 2WD and drive on bare wet roads for a time? From what I've read it looks like no but I was just wondering.

Cheers.

J\
Old 08-29-2001, 09:07 PM   #10
gothamist
AF Regular

It's like this...

Engage the front hubs by switching into 4HI (while moving <=25 mph and/or stopped), then switch back into 2HI. Now you can switch between 4HI and 2HI at any speed you wish, as long as you don't backup. If you back up, or reverse direction in some other manner (roll back on a hill in 2HI if driving stick, etc.) your hubs will unlock, and then you can't/don't want to switch to 4HI at higher speeds.

You can always switch to manual hubs if you want to, $125 and a few hours install time...

[edit] I should add, no real problem driving on wet roads (or even dry ones) in 2WD with the hubs locked, you just lose a fair bit of mpg due to the increased drag, and put a nominal amount of wear on the front drivetrain components (about the same as driving in 4HI.)[/edit]
Old 08-29-2001, 11:58 PM   #11
jason_2025
AF Newbie

Ah, perfect. So it will work much like my 4Runner now. Excellent. I've considered getting manual hubs as well so we'll see how it goes once I get my X. In fact, I'm off to see my dealer now. Oh, wait, I have to sell my 4Runner first... Anyone looking for a low-mileage '88 4Runner in mint condition?

Thanks for all the tips guys!

Cheers.

J\

Old 08-30-2001, 12:21 AM   #12
Xlax
AF Enthusiast

First : Welcome to the real world X Canuck !

You will NOT regret buying an X. I looked a several different 4x4 when I made my decision to get the X. I traded in a Jeep TJ (97) which had seen some offroading. The drive in the X feels great on highway and even better offroad.

I drove a Landcruiser for about 3000 miles while in Africa and must admit that it would be a very close 2nd if I had the dough to get one are they even made any more?.

Gothamist ! all I can say is whoa sweet looking truck 6inch lift kit?

Claus
Xlax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2001, 01:29 AM   #13
Harbones
AF Newbie

Re: Well, a good friend of mine has an '87 'Runner

Quote:
Originally posted by gothamist

Of course, if you lift your Xterra, you can post pics like this.

Thats a sweet looking X gothamist, but can't you find some place better to show off that beauty than in a driveway!
Harbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2001, 06:34 AM   #14
Synchro
AF Regular

Send a message via ICQ to Synchro Send a message via Yahoo to Synchro
that was just for comparison to the 4 runner. how's about this? is this better for ya?

Synchro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2001, 04:32 PM   #15
redvalkrie
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to redvalkrie
This X is a little too nice & clean!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg xteracrym.jpg (63.1 KB, 234 views)

1988 CRX Si
2001 CBR 600F4i Silver & black FAST!
2004 Toyota Tundra (TRD)
2002 dodge grand caravan.
redvalkrie is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail