Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Volvo > 240
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 10:17 AM   #1
lanerd
AF Newbie

87 240dl badground?

I had the heater blower fan replacedon the 240 becase the old one wouldn't work anymore and the windshield fogged over badly in the winter, so it was un driveable without a heater. The mecahnic didn't know foriegn cars so, he messedit up. The heater he did right, but he said there were alot of wires he didnt know where they went. I now have no speedometer, odomooter, gas guage stops at 1/4 tank, and the temperature one is all that works. Could I replace the panel or where do I start digging for unplugged wires? (Im sorry but I'm a GM teenager just getting the volvo from a friend who extended borrowed it.)
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 11:42 AM   #2
denisond3
AF Enthusiast

Re: 87 240dl badground?

As far as I know, the speedometer/odometer works from a cable in 240s in the late 80s. So someone may have unplugged the cable going into the speedo (you must, in order to get the cluster out) and not replaced it properly. The odometer wont work if the speedo doesnt. The odometer can also quit due to a worn out little plastic gear - but the speedo would still work. I dont know about the fuel gauge, but check that the cluster 'ground' connections are really grounded.
To work under the dashboard of a 240, I think its best to take out the front seat, so you can put down a foam pad and lie on the floor stretched out.
denisond3 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Volvo > 240