Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-04-2021, 10:05 AM   #1
SnowDrift
AF Newbie

How to remove bug spray that spilled inside my car

Over a month ago I noticed a can of bug spray that had leaked inside my car. I believe it was inside the arm rest between the driver's and passenger's seat. We moved the can around before noticing that it was leaking. Ever since it's been a chore to find out exactly where the smell is coming from and to remove it. It seems to be more prevalent when the heat is on.

I've tried the following solutions on the seats, carpet, and inside the glove box and arm rest, to no avail and I'm looking for some alternatives:

- Leather cleaner
- Mixture of white vinegar and water
- Air freshener
- Onion
- Activated charcoal bags
SnowDrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 10:57 AM   #2
Stealthee
Your worst nightmare

Re: How to remove bug spray that spilled inside my car

If noticing more with the heat on then see about changing the cabin air filter.
Old 05-04-2021, 12:43 PM   #3
ctesla
AF Enthusiast

Re: How to remove bug spray that spilled inside my car

SnowDrift, (are you sure? in san diego??)- welcome to Automotive Forums..

you did not mention what type of vehicle; but many mid- to upper end models
sometimes have climate ducts under the seats; so if that pyrethroid has leaked into
the plastic/ABS ducting, and dried in there, that might be the only thing that needs to
be cleaned out..
(although, again; depending upon model, Stealthee is right, as a cabin air filter can assist is minimizing air odor)
so, best product to wipe out/off any plastic duct/console side, under seat wiring harness would be tea tree oil.. pure essential oil (6-8drops) in a quart+ of water will act as an antibacterial/anti-fungal, and should deplete the chemicals from the 'bug spray'..
if this does not get rid of your odor; then it is probably soaked into the carpeting..

it this is the case, then my suggestion is to get ALL/everything off floor, take some sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) and scatter into affected area, and then a cup of water to moisten it, and let it start soaking, and after a minute or two of soaking (allowing to neutralize and vacate most of the chemical) open the car door(s) and use a pressure washer, and just a quick pressurized hit between seats and console..
(we did this when recon.-ing vehicles in houston (very high humidity), but we did not powerwash any of dash, under pedals, electronics, etc.. just a quick hit on carpet under seats (and naturally do not use power/heated seats until dried)) and then immediately shop vac water, and we would prop a box fan on seat and steering wheel; let it run, and go do lunch..
if you want, you can skip the washer, and just go at the area with a bucket water (with or without light soap), and shop vac again, and box fan; OR if no box fan, stuff newspaper in/under seat to absorb (military trick) and pull and rotate more newspaper in every 3-5min. until "mostly" dry..
i still hope it is just mostly in the abs ducts though.. i hate doing carpet; and if you do too, you could just pay the $20-40 for a car wash/detail place to do it for you..
ctesla is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General