Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling
Car Modeling Share your passion for car modeling here! Includes sub-forum for "in progress" and "completed" vehicles.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-06-2018, 12:50 PM   #106
stratos75
Loser

Re: Car modeling... confessions

2 kitbash: Exactly the same with me, except that I am 50 years old and have less than 2000 kits.
Old 01-06-2018, 03:20 PM   #107
Some_Kid
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitbash View Post
I start every project with the firm intention of doing a simple, clean, out-of-box build. Soon the project is absolutely out of control, with all the crap I scratchbuild or fix. Shortly after that, I totally burn out and put that project away, never to be seen again. Then, I start a new project and the whole cycle starts over. I have not finished a single thing since 1997. And like everyone else, I spend WAY more time thinking about projects than actually doing something about it, and I have, at this point in my 55-year old life, probably 2000 or so kits in all scales and all brands that will in all likelihood, never, ever get built.

And if I were forced out of this hobby for some reason, you might as well kill me.
Haha I am the exact same way. To limit my ocd detailing tendency I have given myself a few limitations and it seems to help my progress.

1. By all means fix, modify or correct kit pieces that do not represent the real car. Mold lines, seams that do not exist on the 1:1, etc.

2. Add engine detail where possible but not to the point where details cannot be realistically replicated and also not at the expense of cleanliness.

3. Forgo photo etch where possible. Personally unless it’s emblems, mesh grills or certain styles of brakes I think most P/E are a bit unnecessary and can be replicated with bmf or metalizers.

4. Do not attempt body colors not that are not on the TS Spray line. This is just my personal rule at the moment because my airbrush set up isn’t ideal. But basically the way I build models right now is I’ll spray can the body with TS sprays and primarily use Vallejo acrylics and testers metalizers for the inner stuff. I constantly get ghost lines with Duplicolor and Testors lacquer Metallics are essentially pitiful in terms of flake size aside from the GTS blue pearl. I do use some gravity colors silvers but that is an exception because they have the best silver paints for bodies on the market.
Some_Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 12:40 AM   #108
kitbash
AF Newbie

Yeah, that's exactly what I need to do. Thing is, I'd look at the finished product and know I compromised. To me, it's all meaningless if you compromise. Even though I've not finished a model in years, I look a the work I actually do manage to finish (sub-assemblies and so on) and if I can walk up on a bit of work I did and still love it six weeks after I built it, I feel satisfied. I'm calm. If I don't live up to my own silly expectations, I'm anxious.

Others here manage to finish lots of stuff I really envy, stuff I'd be happy to display. Maybe I'm just a slow worker. If I still have any eyesight when I retire, I'm gonna dive head-first into this hobby...till then...
kitbash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 06:03 PM   #109
bah humbug
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to bah humbug

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitbash View Post
I start every project with the firm intention of doing a simple, clean, out-of-box build. Soon the project is absolutely out of control, with all the crap I scratchbuild or fix. Shortly after that, I totally burn out and put that project away, never to be seen again. Then, I start a new project and the whole cycle starts over. I have not finished a single thing since 1997. And like everyone else, I spend WAY more time thinking about projects than actually doing something about it, and I have, at this point in my 55-year old life, probably 2000 or so kits in all scales and all brands that will in all likelihood, never, ever get built.

And if I were forced out of this hobby for some reason, you might as well kill me.
Oh man I can really relate with this minus the 2000 kits haha. Any pictures of your giant stash of kits? I bet it looks like any scale modeler's dream.

Edit: Nvm what I said, I just saw your GTO build thread and your on a whole different level with attention to detail. ( I mean that in a good way)
Old 01-09-2018, 07:26 AM   #110
kitbash
AF Newbie

Red face Re: Car modeling... confessions

Thanks for the compliment. I'd love to get that one done; I'm really proud of the engine work I did and that's my favorite GTO of all time. I might have to take a few shots of my stash...it's really gotten out of hand over the years. These days I seem to be in a 1/43 kind of mood, and I've spent the last year or so on a Jordan 191 Formula 1 car from 1991. I've got really good momentum on it, but it's out of control now...just hope I can hang on until it's done!!
Old 01-09-2018, 07:29 AM   #111
kitbash
AF Newbie

BTW, your Silvia is killer!! I'll never build one of those some day....!
Old 01-09-2018, 08:16 PM   #112
Veyron
AF Fanatic

*I began building a kit last month that I've had, and been dreaming about building for 23 years.

*I have so many detailing items, and I don't think to look through them before I start a build....then when I'm finished I run across a perfect detail item for that build and say, 'damn, that would have been really cool'.

*I miss the days when this site was THE place to post your builds, and was very active.

*I enjoyed reading back through this whole thread.

* I'm in my 57th year of the 225 years I'm going to live to finish building my ever growing model stash.
Robi J (01-10-2018)
Old 01-09-2018, 10:18 PM   #113
potsie
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veyron View Post
*I began building a kit last month that I've had, and been dreaming about building for 23 years.

*I have so many detailing items, and I don't think to look through them before I start a build....then when I'm finished I run across a perfect detail item for that build and say, 'damn, that would have been really cool'.

*I miss the days when this site was THE place to post your builds, and was very active.

* I'm in my 57th year of the 225 years I'm going to live to finish building my ever growing model stash.
Seems like there is a consistent theme here....

- I spent some time at the end of the year putting my stash in one room and updating my catalogue. I now realise I have >350 1/24th kits and have finished precisely none in the 18 months. Even when building at top speed I have enough for the next 50 years or so!

- I also miss the "good old days" of AF. I have no interest in becoming a social media addict like a depressingly large number of my friends, so stick with this and a few other websites.

- I rationalise buying more detail kits, transkits and decals for kits I may or may not own as engaging with the hobby without growing my stash!

- Hasegawa and Tamiya appear to have tapped straight in to my wallet with their recent re-releases. Every one is something I wanted as a kid but could not afford; Group C Le Mans, Group A rally kits, JTCC touring cars, .... And don't mention the Tamiya RC re-releases!!!
potsie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to potsie For This Useful Post:
Veyron (01-10-2018)
Old 01-10-2018, 05:21 AM   #114
bah humbug
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to bah humbug

Quote:

I too look back fondly on the old days of AF. After returning recently and giving the place a quick browse through, it seems many of the old members who used to post great content have moved on. But I do still see some familiar names like yours which is nice.
Veyron (01-10-2018)
Old 01-10-2018, 06:50 PM   #115
Robi J
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Me too...
Robi J is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling