Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Buying Q & A
Car Buying Q & A Ask a question, get an answer; it's that simple. Visit AutomotiveHelper.com for useful car buying tools and research. Also, check out Vehicle History Reports to help you avoid chances of finding a lemon.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 08:18 PM   #1
'97ventureowner
AF Moderator

Angry {rant} about salespeople in the industry

If you've read my other post in this forum, you'll know I'm in the process of purchasing a used minivan. This post is kind of a rant that I want to let out over my observations of salespeople in the automotive industry. Now before I make a major purchase, I do a lot of research including visiting sites on the internet, looking at books, talking to people to get their experiences and opinions, and look at other reviews. I take all this info and use it to hlp me make an informed decision to benefit me and my family. This past week I had the opportunity to visit a few new and used car dealerships. I was approached by salespeople offering their help. (On a side note, it surprised me how many women are salespeople at the dealership nowadays. When I purchased my last used vehicle 8 1/2 years ago, and a new vehicle 12 years ago, there was virtually no women in the profession in my area.) Anyways, it shocked me at how little knowledge these salespeople have about their products. I asked a lot of questions and many times was given the answer ,"I don't know", or "I'll have to check with the sales manager." It seemed that I knew more about their products than they knew. Now I know that many dealerships carry a lot of different products with many different options and combinations,and it's hard to remember all there is to know about them, but c'mon they couldn't even answer simple questions! It would seem to me that the dealership should better prepare their salespeople and make time available for them to gain knowledge about the product they are selling. I wonder how many have even looked at a sales brochure, or learn what options are available and what they contain. Has anybody else noticed this trend or experienced it firsthand?

If a prostitute here in America loses her job to a prostitute in India , is that considered "outwhoring"??-Jay Leno

" A Good Thing To Know"
'97ventureowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 08:43 PM   #2
DinanM3_S2
Scuderia Kimi

Re: {rant} about salespeople in the industry

I've found that the more expensive a car is, the more knowledgeable the salespeople are. I recently went to a Honda dealership with a friend who was checking out a S2000. The first sales guy that came to talk to us could basically only tell us that its a convertable and it has vtec. On the other hand, the the salesmen at my BMW dealership tend to be pretty knowledgeable and passionate about their products.

"I collect walnuts"
-Kimi Raikkonen on his hobbies outside of F1
DinanM3_S2 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Buying Q & A