Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 7 Series
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-17-2017, 10:40 PM   #1
Freedom8665
AF Newbie

Blower Motor Sword FSU resister issue

I am a new owner of a 1993 BMW 740il. The symptoms I had when I first bought her was a very loud squirrel cage when run on max high for the fan setting. The blower would not work at all on any other setting other than the fan on max high. It was also giving off a faint dead mouse smell, could have just been the bearings burning or some sort of electrical smell from it running off balance. A week later, it stopped working altogether. No response at all from the blower. I did some reading about these symptoms, they seem to be pretty common, but the root issue/cause is not. It couldeither be the actual blower motor, or the squirrel cages being chipped causing an imbalance when spinning, or the FSU which is the final stage Unit, that many parts guys call it the resister. There is also discussion about a sword located near the blower motor. I am unsure as to where these parts are or how to test them. Are these parts located as part of the blower motor assembly or are they separate? Please, if anyone has some idea as to what could be going on, let me know. Regardless if it is the FSU or the squirrel cages or the actual blower motor or the sword, I still need to pull my entire dash off in order to access it and it is a time consuming job. I have read some step by step procedures on how to do this job but not for my exact vehicle. Is there anyone on here that has or has had my vehicle and/or knows about it in great detail?
Thanks,
-Katherine
Freedom8665 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 7 Series