Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > DeLorean > DMC-12
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-27-2005, 09:17 PM   #1
kahjdh
AF Enthusiast

Question What are they like?

I have allways like deloreans and being a fan of gm and being irish i would like to know more about them. How fast are they? I mean if you would compare it to a modern car would it be camaro or a malibu? also what kind of budget would i have to have to get one? Are they hard to get or relatively easy with the right budget? I want to hear some storie of these cars. Thanks
1996 Acura Integra LS B18 1.8L
Past Cars:
1990 Buick Estate Wagon 5.0L
1987 Chevy S10 2.5L Tec Four
1995 Pontiac Grand Am 2.3 Quad 4
1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.2L AWD
1991 Ford Tempo L 2.3L
1992 Buick LeSabre 3.8L
1997 Buick Century 3.1L
1996 Lumina APV GT 3.4L
2006 Ford Escape 3.0L XLT
kahjdh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 09:49 PM   #2
Marc-OS
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to Marc-OS Send a message via AIM to Marc-OS
They're slow, there's no denying it. It's harsh, but it's true. Compared to a modern car, well, they're still slow. To get a good one, that maybe only needs minor work, would be around $16-20k. Honestly though, despite it's shortcomings, it's still a blast to drive. And it's also great for those quick ego boosts 'cause EVERYONE looks, and everyone smiles/compliments it. Call me shallow if you must, but I'm not denying it.

4/8/04 - My CRX is officially dead, RIP Lucy
Marc-OS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 10:07 PM   #3
timetraveler
AF Newbie

In terms of speed they aren't that fast compared to most cars today, back then when it came out it had decent speed but nothing overwhelming. It's about a 130hp car. If your looking for a cool looking crusing car this is a great car, if your looking for a street racer this is not the car for you. The price generally ranges from $10k - $25k for a used one and I think it's up to $40k for a refirbished one from DMCH. I wouldn't recommend a low end Delorean because it will cost more in the end to get it in good shape. It's best to buy one that is in good working order that hasn't been sitting for more than a couple months. Never buy one that says it's been sitting for 5-10 years unless you have money to burn. Deloreans don't like to sit for long periods of time without being driven. You can generally find one that runs ok, and is in fair to good shape for about $15k.

It depends where you live to how difficult it is to find a Delorean. If you live in Florida, Texas, New York, California, or Arizona it shouldn't be that hard because thats where the majority of Deloreans are usually found. If you live overseas then it is much harder and much more expensive. Try Hemmings.com, Cars.com, and autotrader.com to look for ones near you. I wouldn't recommend Ebay, their seems to be a lot of Delorean selling scams on there.

In terms of budget, it is a car that is almost 25 years old, so things do go out now and then, but that also depends on how well the previous owner took care of it, and how many updates he had done on it.

They are easy to clean despite what most people say. I hardly ever wet it down. I just spray stainless steal cleaner on it and wipe it off and get a great shine that when the sun hits it just right you get a cool prism of colors.

One last thing, I see you mention GM. GM didn't have anything to do with making them.
timetraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 11:42 PM   #4
kahjdh
AF Enthusiast

Re: What are they like?

Well i mentioned gm b/c thats where john delorean worked for a while. I herd that dmc had somebody else make the engines. Is this true?
1996 Acura Integra LS B18 1.8L
Past Cars:
1990 Buick Estate Wagon 5.0L
1987 Chevy S10 2.5L Tec Four
1995 Pontiac Grand Am 2.3 Quad 4
1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.2L AWD
1991 Ford Tempo L 2.3L
1992 Buick LeSabre 3.8L
1997 Buick Century 3.1L
1996 Lumina APV GT 3.4L
2006 Ford Escape 3.0L XLT
kahjdh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 12:25 PM   #5
timetraveler
AF Newbie

Re: Re: What are they like?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahjdh
Well i mentioned gm b/c thats where john delorean worked for a while. I herd that dmc had somebody else make the engines. Is this true?

Yeah the Engine is a PRV-6. It's a V6 Peugeot/Renault/Volvo engine. It was just slightly altered and turned on its side to fit in a Delorean.
Old 04-06-2006, 07:49 PM   #6
TransFukinAm
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to TransFukinAm Send a message via MSN to TransFukinAm

You all say they are slow, but i have seen a chevy 305ci 5.0 litre swapped in no problem, im sure taht must be fast. that or the dude was lyin' to me >.<
god i want one SOOOoo bad...
someday...
TransFukinAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 12:27 AM   #7
|WYG|SS
AF Regular

uve asked if the cars were hard to find, no they arent on the history channel on tv i seen thier is a deleroian plant that can build u a brand new one form the pars from the factory when it closed down or he can festor one for u that will be cheaper
|WYG|SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 02:30 AM   #8
timetraveler
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by |WYG|SS
uve asked if the cars were hard to find, no they arent on the history channel on tv i seen thier is a deleroian plant that can build u a brand new one form the pars from the factory when it closed down or he can festor one for u that will be cheaper
Cheaper?? Not at $60,000 or whatever the current price is right now, when you can buy a regular used one for less than $20,000. I'm assuming your talking about DMC Houston that refirbishes Deloreans. They aren't new, there are still the same amount of Deloreans out there that there has ever been(Around 9,000 give or take). This Facility just Referbishes them to look like new.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > DeLorean > DMC-12