Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Astro > M Bodies
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-25-2004, 03:39 PM   #1
FrankSaho
AF Newbie

Question AWD Astro

I recently bought a used 2003 Asto van still under warranty. When I turn sharply at slow speeds I get a grinding/bumping noise form the wheels as they seem to be slipping on the concrete. If I go up a steep hill 10-15 mph I get a wump-wump noise like there are evenly spaced bumps in the road. If I go 35-40 it goes away. Should I be concerned?
Thank you for any advice in advance you may be able to provide.
FrankSaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 10:43 PM   #2
lakerfan1784
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to lakerfan1784 Send a message via Yahoo to lakerfan1784
Re: AWD Astro

we have a similar problem with our 2001 safari awd... the fluid in the transfer case is bad. We have had it replaced, only for it to go bad again. There is a known defect in the transfer case, and GM wont do anything about it.
Old 06-02-2004, 06:03 AM   #3
bowbender2002
AF Newbie

I have the same problem with a 2000 I just recently bought. I was getting ready to replace the fluids. I had a different vehicle that I bought and the problem was the wrong gear oil in the differential. Does anyone no if these vehicles require a special gear oil or limited slip addative in the differentials.
bowbender2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 06:06 AM   #4
bowbender2002
AF Newbie

I have a 2000 AWD Astro with the same problem I am getting ready to replace transfer case oil and was wondering if the differentials could be the culprit. Does anyone know if they require any addatives or special oils.
bowbender2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 03:17 PM   #5
astropaulie
AF Newbie

Awd Oil

Hello,
I have a 2003 AWD and the rear end was slipping/clunking/dragging etc. the dealer informed me that the rear end and transfer case had to have the oil changed. The mechanic told me there was an internal service bulletin to change and flush the posi-rear diff and the transfer case from the factory regular gear lube to a new synthetic with a moly type booster.

It did solve the problem. maybe they should've put synthetic in from the factory?? Who woulda thought!

paul
astropaulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 12:35 PM   #6
Finewine
AF Newbie

Here is a service bulletin related to your problems. I tried it...so far so good (after about 3000 miles with the new fluid). The transfer case is easy to get to. Both plugs are easily accessable on the side of the case...just need a way to get the new oil in the side hole...bought a special gadget at Walmart for that.

Hope it helps....

Bulletin No.: 99-04-21-005B

Date: September, 2002

TECHNICAL

Subject:
Transfer Case Shudder
(Flush and Replace Transfer Case Fluid)

Models:
1999-2003 Chevrolet Astro (AWD)
1999-2003 GMC Safari (AWD)
1999-2001 Oldsmobile Bravada
with All-Wheel Drive (NV136) Transfer Case (RPO NP4)

This bulletin is being revised to add model years. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 99-04-21-005A (Section 04 - Driveline Axle).

Condition

Some customers may comment about a vibration (shudder) during tight turning maneuvers on dry pavement at vehicle speeds less than 8 km/h (5 mph).

Cause

This condition may be caused by a slip-stick of the clutch plates in the transfer case clutch pack. On 1999 and newer models, the preload that is designed into the clutch pack may contribute to the condition. In addition, contamination of the fluid may interfere with the friction modifiers.

Correction

Flush and replace the transfer case fluid on affected vehicles using the following procedure and the part number listed below.

Perform the following diagnosis prior to flushing and replacing the transfer case fluid in order to properly identify the shudder.

Diagnosis

1. Verify the shudder in the vehicle. The vehicle needs to be at operating temperature (driven at least 5 miles) for proper diagnosis. After the vehicle is at operating temperature, drive in a tight circle just short of steering wheel lock, at a speed less than 8 km/h (5 mph) in order to identify the shudder.

2. Identify what rear axle type the vehicle has.

^ If the vehicle has a standard rear axle, then proceed to step 3.

^ If the vehicle has a locking rear axle, remove the front propeller shaft. Refer to the Propeller Shaft subsection in the Service Manual. Drive the vehicle as outlined in step 1.

^ If the shudder goes away, install the front propeller shaft and proceed to step 3. Refer to the Propeller Shaft subsection in the Service Manual.

^ If the shudder does not go away, the locking rear axle may be the cause. Review the owner's records and determine if the rear axle was serviced at the first scheduled oil change. If records indicate that the axle service was done, then revaluate the condition using diagnostic information in the appropriate Service Manual. If the rear axle was not serviced, service the rear axle.
INFORM THE CUSTOMER THAT THE AXLE SERVICE IS AN OWNER'S MAINTENANCE ITEM NOT COVERED UNDER THE VEHICLE'S WARRANTY.

^ Install the front propeller shaft. Refer to the Propeller Shaft subsection in the Service Manual.

3. Flush the transfer case with the blue colored fluid (AUTO-TRAK II) using the procedure and part number listed below. Perform the flush procedure even if the transfer case contains the blue colored AUTO-TRAK II fluid in order to remove any possible contaminants. The AUTO-TRAK II fluid contains an improved friction modifier that should correct the slip-stick condition. Refer to the Transfer Case subsection in the Service Manual for information on draining and filling the transfer case.

Flush Procedure

Important :Refer to Corporate Bulletin Number 99-04-21-001, dated April 1999, for important information on removing the transfer case drain and fill plugs.

1. Drain the transfer case fluid.

2. Refill the transfer case with 2 L (2 qts) of new fluid, P/N 12378508 (Canadian P/N 10953626).

3. After refilling the transfer case, drive the vehicle a minimum of 8 km (5 mi).

4. With the transfer case at operating temperature, drain the transfer case fluid again.

5. Refill the transfer case with new fluid.

Important :The vehicle may require approximately 160 km (100 miles) of driving before the condition is completely corrected.
Finewine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 09:56 PM   #7
SeaBuzz
AF Newbie

Hi All, as Finewine stated. I changed all three rear, front, and tranfer case with 75/90 synthetic and all is well.

V-6 Auto
Tire change to Dueler AT Revo's 225x75x15 AT a great tire

Yesterday is History * Tomorrow a Mystery * Today a Gift Yesterday is History * Tomorrow a Mystery * Today a Gift Yesterday is History * Tomorrow a Mystery * Today a Gift Yesterday is History * Tomorrow a Mystery * Today a Gift
SeaBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2004, 02:02 PM   #8
rj1721
AF Newbie

Awd

Hi, I have this problem also on my 1999, at times when I am take off from a light, it "slams" into gear, I can feel that something is tight, or dragging, I am very gentle on the gas untill, It "breaks" , then it drives fine. I guess you could describe the feeling as a doing a "nuetral drop" with bad u joints.
I bought the truck used used w 80 k it has always done this, I took it to a dealer with a differnt problem, and pointed out this problem also. they took me for a $1200 TUNE UP AND SERVICE WHAT A RIP OFF !! Never said nothing about this change or bulliten, the thing is I would have paid for it!
Anyway I will be doing this service and checking the rear end in a couple of weeks.

This is a great board I just found, I am also going to post another incident I had as "ignition switch" hope it will help someone

Rick
rj1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 10:57 PM   #9
chcknugget
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to chcknugget
Re: Awd

Quote:
Originally Posted by rj1721
Hi, I have this problem also on my 1999, at times when I am take off from a light, it "slams" into gear, I can feel that something is tight, or dragging, I am very gentle on the gas untill, It "breaks" , then it drives fine.Rick
Have you checked the throttle body? It seems common that it or its cables will stick and make it hard to initially press the gas pedal.

Are you sure that the tranfer case uses the same fluid as the diffs? I know with 4wd trucks some use tranny fluid in their diffs.
chcknugget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 08:26 PM   #10
rj1721
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Awd

Quote:
Originally Posted by chcknugget
Have you checked the throttle body? It seems common that it or its cables will stick and make it hard to initially press the gas pedal...
Thanks, that'll be on the "to do" list for next week, probably wouldn't of thought of lubing the cable, but it's not a problem I'm having.
I guess when I say "feel" I mean I can hear and feel the engine power. I guess I'll know more when I change the fluids, and see what happens...
rj1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 03:42 PM   #11
grivett
AF Newbie

I can't thank you guys enough. My son and I both have '03 Astros with shuddering when tourning corner problems. Both have been serviced by GM. One of our Astros could hardly negotiate a turn. We were thinking it needed a new differential and/or a transfer case. I took it into Mr. Goodwrench after reading your threads and at first they feigned interest. After I threatened to call the owner they finally agreed they knew about the recall and fixed both vans at no charge by changing to synthetic fluid.They knew all about it all they time but weren't going to do a thing until I showed them your threads. Thanks again...I'm now a happy camper!
grivett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 05:53 PM   #12
boatbuster
AF Regular

I also have had issues on my 2002 Astro AWD, after trying many transfer case oil changes I found out from Mercury Marine ( I am a boat mechanic) that many race car drivers use the Mercury Marine hi Perf gear lube in their differentials. That is the blue-ish gear lube. I put that in my front and rear diffs and transfercase and have not had an issue since.
boatbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 10:25 PM   #13
harryevan
AF Newbie

Okay, all of this happened in 2003 - did GM fix it? I don't think so, my 2005 started acting like this at about 93K. Has there been any further maintenance bulletins?

They should start making these again, probably the only reason I'd buy a new vehicle.
harryevan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 05:56 PM   #14
Blue Bowtie
Registered Offender

The transfer case oil needs to be changed routinely, just like any other lubricant. Get 4L of Auto-Trak II and follow the procedure outlined above. My 2000 has has four such changes in its 200K miles.
Old 07-19-2014, 06:13 PM   #15
harryevan
AF Newbie

I guess that's a yes. Thanks!

They should start making these again, probably the only reason I'd buy a new vehicle.
harryevan is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Astro > M Bodies