Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Daewoo > Lanos | Kalos
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 01:33 PM   #1
dbarker_sf
AF Newbie

Daewoo Lanos 2000

I just got a daewoo lanos from a coworker. He also gave me a letter he got from daewoo way back regarding the cam sensor recall. Are there any daewoo places still around? The check engine light has been on since I got the car. It had 58000 miles on it when I got it and it just hit 60000, and it is now making a high-pitch squealing sound near the timing cover. The squealing sound started only when it was cold and went away. Now it is constant and I have it parked and not driving it. Anyone know what this could be? I'm thinking about replacing the cam sensor, timing belt and possibly the water pump. Any tips about this from someone who has done this before would be great. Thanks.
dbarker_sf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 02:04 PM   #2
97TaurusGuy
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to 97TaurusGuy
Re: Daewoo Lanos 2000

Do yourself a favor and get rid of it while it still actually runs. I have yet to see one of these cars actually make it to 100,000miles. I have seen quite a few of these in the 60,000mile range that werent worth fixing and junked. It is too hard to get parts for Daewoos and they simply just are junky cars.
Old 11-13-2009, 06:12 PM   #3
Lanos Driver
AF Newbie

Maybe my situation isn't typical. My '01 Lanos has over 158k mi and gives me 36-37mpg. I have replaced the timing belt twice (cam sensor was replaced with second T-belt), front brake pads once, a front wheel bearing, and both O2 sensors. About a month ago, replaced the valve cover gasket and thermostat housing (second thermo - first one cracked and put me in a spot). I have changed the oil every 3-5000 mi and still on the original clutch. This car is driven aprox 100 mi/day.

So, dbarker, I recommend replacing the timing belt along with both pullies and the water pump. You may have to take it to a shop, since the job requires removing an engine mount and the power steering pump. Also needs a special tool on the water pump.

Good luck, post back what you decided to do.

Last edited by Lanos Driver; 11-13-2009 at 06:27 PM. Reason: Added info.
Lanos Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:37 PM   #4
Lanos Driver
AF Newbie

Update 2+ years later: Now 245k mi, still driven avg 100 mi/day. Still on same front and rear brakes as before. At aprox 230k mi, had a problem with the clutch - the peddle went to about 2" from the floor and not disengage. Turns out the fork that carries the release bearing had slipped on the shaft. The clutch disk was barely worn. Just replaced valve cover gasket and thermostat again, along with spark plugs and wires. Switched to high mileage oil about 190k. The head gasket was seeping coolant to the side of the block, so I used a bottle of Blue Devil. If it's still holding at 280k when the timing belt is due again, I'll go from there.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:52 PM   #5
Lanos Driver
AF Newbie

More info - Almost 250k mi and coolant is spilling onto the bell housing. No foamy oil or steamy exhaust. I went with a rebuilt engine (long block) since replacing just the head gasket would still leave me with worn bores and low compression.

So... anybody interested in a good rebuildable 1.6 DOHC? Regular oil changes and timing belt replacements - never broken.

Edit Dec 7, 2013: The engine is no longer available.

Last edited by Lanos Driver; 12-07-2013 at 05:20 PM. Reason: Update

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Daewoo > Lanos | Kalos