Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Frontier | Navara
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-24-2005, 06:52 AM   #1
grncivicdhr
AF Premium User

Send a message via AIM to grncivicdhr
frontier question...?

hi. i'm looking to buy a frontier this summer since my 240sx is getting kinda old in the snow. i was looking for a 4x4 supercharged kingcab model (i'm also looking at the supercharged xterra but the frontier is more my style). my question is: whats the hp of the supercharged (vg33re?) model vs the 3.3 v6 model (vg33de or vg33e?)? are there anything i should look/listen for when i start out to test drives?thanks for your help
grncivicdhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 12:58 AM   #2
blackknight03
AF Newbie

I would not recommend the S/C version unless you are just a real speed demon... depending on what year you are looking for the power on the S/C has always been 210hp/246 lbft and the NA 3.3 is at 180hp/202lbft (03-04) and 170hp/200lbft(00-02) I really couldn't tell a difference between the two (S/C had a little more grunt off the line) and most people with the S/C complain of horrible gas mileage but it doens't yield any more towing capacity or anything. If you do chose to go with the S/C I would pay attention closely to the supercharger noise. A little whine is okay but some have been known to make quite a bit of racket. On either model pay attention to the shift quality of the transmission and make sure the transfer case engages smoothly. Other than that you shouldn't "look" for anything in particular as most of the Frontiers are pretty reliable!

Later,
blackknight03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 04:49 PM   #3
joeb2112
AF Newbie

the 2005 models are hitting the dealers lots - the 4.0 VQ puts out 265hp and 284 ft/lbs torque - alot better numbers than the previous SC version

Your towing capacity also goes up to over 6000 lbs..

I'm glad I waited for the new models!
joeb2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 02:18 PM   #4
zeamays1
AF Newbie

Re: frontier question...?

I concur about the supercharger not being worth it. I have a friend who has an Xterra with the S/C and I notice only a slight difference in power when driving it. (I have a '01 Frontier w/o the S/C) And he is constantly complaining about the gas mileage. (under 14 MPG on Premium fuel!!! $$$$$)
zeamays1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 11:13 PM   #5
coveredi
AF Newbie

Try an '05

The '05 with the 4.0 V6 is a screamer! This thing just loves to run. Lot's of horses, lots of torque. Regular gas, and last tank of just over 20MPG (CC, 4x4, Manual tranny).
coveredi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 11:05 PM   #6
PapaTorrone
AF Newbie

just bought myself an '05 and I'd say the wait was worth it. I picked up an '05 Crew Cab and I can honestly say that the 265 hp throw you back into your seat. The new Frontiers have more power than the Tacoma's and Ram's and is the best bang for your buck. I have an ATV and it tows it no problems. Overall I am very staisfied with the Frontier, even though I only have 980 km (I'm from Canada) and I haven't put it past 100 km/h, just waiting until it hits 1,500 km. Well worth the investment, and being an import it'll hold it's value very well.
PapaTorrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 07:48 PM   #7
freakray
AF Modelrater

Re: frontier question...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaTorrone
Well worth the investment, and being an import it'll hold it's value very well.
It may be an import in Canada, but they're built in the USA so it doesn't make any difference to those of us south of the border

I have a 2004 Frontier crew cab with full bed and love it, does everything I want it to and that's what's important to me.
I didn't buy a truck to be racing around, so the power where it is right now is more than sufficient for me and like I said, it does what I need it to.
Old 04-17-2005, 10:32 PM   #8
doggmann05
AF Newbie

New '05 Frontier base

Just bought a base model 05 Frontier w/ the 4 cylinder engine (2WD)... Good price and good power for its size. If you're looking for a reliable truck w/o all the lights and gadgets, I'd recommend the 4 cylinder models (also save you on Gas).
doggmann05 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Frontier | Navara