Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Isuzu > Trooper | SLX | Bighorn | Wizard
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-12-2005, 09:04 AM   #46
edrhathaway
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to edrhathaway
Re: 98 isuzu trooper buring oil excessively

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrixie
We have a '99 Trooper that used about 1-11/2 quarts between changes(3-3.5k) & I thought that was a lot! Seems my consumption is less than some. I just switched to Mobil1 truck & suv 5w40 because of the additive package it has, it is my oil of choice for my 6.0 Ford diesel also. The first thing I noticed was the noisy lifters quieted down quite a bit. The oil consumption seems to have dropped by about 1/2 quart.
Ok...here's my experience. First, you can look at the tail pipe (if they haven't cleaned it) and it will be black as crap. Run your finger in it. If it's burning oil like mine (1 qt every 800 to 1000 miles), you'll know it.

Now, as for smoking, it does but you can't see it. During the day, I can wrap down hard on my trooper and see nothing...but with all the oil i'm burning you'd think you could see something. NADA!!!. However, drive at nite and with someone following you at about 2 car links, wrap down on it and look in the mirror...you'll see the smoke if it's burning it. That's how I was able to test it.

I'm thinking of doing a rebuild. I tried the the seafoam it it worked once, but then I screwed up and ran 5W20 for one oil cycle (I was trying different oils/visc to see what I could figure out), and ever since even running 20w50 I'm doing 1qt in 800 miles....and seafoam isn't helping anymore. I've got an IMG leak so that's gotta be replaced anyway, so I"m thinking of a rebuild. Can anyone give any advice as to how to make sure the right oil rings are used? And if I'm having it gone into to do the rings, should I just do everything? valves/bearings, etc?

Thx
edrhathaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 11:37 AM   #47
tinytrixie
AF Newbie

EDR., we are going to drive to a city about 100 miles away & back tomorrow and I am going to change the oil today will let you know what my consumption is after some high speed highway miles. I really feel that this diesel oil might work to clean & keep it that way. There is an additive in it that keeps particulate matter in suspension so it can be removed by the filter. we'll see!. We love the truck!
tinytrixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 01:13 PM   #48
rodeo02
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: 98 isuzu trooper buring oil excessively

Quote:
Originally Posted by edrhathaway
Ok...here's my experience. First, you can look at the tail pipe (if they haven't cleaned it) and it will be black as crap. Run your finger in it. If it's burning oil like mine (1 qt every 800 to 1000 miles), you'll know it.....

......Can anyone give any advice as to how to make sure the right oil rings are used?
The inside of the tailpipe can get black on our 2002 3.2 & we rarely have to add any oil between 4000mi oil changes.

As far as the piston rings go, how I understand it is, the issue is not with the ring pack, but the oil return holes machined thru the pistons. You will need the *new and improved* pistons with more oil return holes. Have you tried an over-night cylinder soak with seafoam (or the likes)? I wish I could get ahold of an oil burning 1998+ 3.2/3.5L to try this on!!! I bet it would work!
G/luck
Joel
Old 03-12-2005, 01:24 PM   #49
marcre
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to marcre Send a message via MSN to marcre Send a message via Yahoo to marcre Send a message via Skype™ to marcre
Re: Re: Re: 98 isuzu trooper buring oil excessively

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodeo02
I wish I could get a hold of an oil burning 1998+ 3.2/3.5L to try this on!!! I bet it would work!
G/luck
Joel
I would be willing to do this on mine. We live in the same area, I believe. I burn some oil, but not a lot. I would say a quart - quart and a half every 3000 miles. Sometimes less.

I am not sure how to go about the process of soaking the cylinders. I don't know if this is something I would be willing to do without a knowledgable person to guide me through it.

Marc

1999 Rodeo LS 3.2 4x4 SOLD, but not forgotten
My Rodeo
marcre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 10:34 AM   #50
rodeo02
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: Re: 98 isuzu trooper buring oil excessively

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcre
...I am not sure how to go about the process of soaking the cylinders...

Marc
What you need to do is:
1) Get the truck out of the elements, a nice garage will do.
2) Pull the coil packs, remove the sparkplugs.
3) Pour a liquid solvent engine cleaner product (like seafoam, lube control, etc.) right down the spark plug towers & into the cylinder(s). An ounce or two should do per cylinder.
4) Let it sit overnight. 8-12hrs should be sufficient.
5) Place some large clean rags over the valve covers, such that they cover the open spark plug tubes.
6) Turn the engine over for a few seconds to blow the liquid out of the cylinders. The rags prevent it from blowing all over.
7) Throw the sparkplugs back in, button everything up & you are good to go.
8) Do an oil change in the not so distant future to remove any cleaner that leaked down through the cylinders & into the sump.

You might have to repeat the process again, but I have seen where this worked for saturn 2.2's & chrysler 2.5's with clogged/stuck piston ring packs. It should work for the 1998+ 3.2/3.5 isuzu clogged drain-back holes as well!

G/luck
Joel
Old 03-13-2005, 02:19 PM   #51
javatrooper
AF Regular

I would think that if you left seafoam in your cylinders overnight without the plugs in, you could just intall plugs and fire it up. Some would evaporate and the rest would clean out your exhaust. that way you would not have to bust out the rags to catch seafoam cranking it without plugs installed. What do you think?
javatrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 02:36 PM   #52
rodeo02
AF Enthusiast

You're correct that some would leak down through & some would evaporate, but it's not worth the risk of hydro-locking a cylinder(s). You could snap a connecting rod, wrist pin or blow a hole in a piston if you don't give liquid a place to go. You really have to pour a generous amount in their.
G/luck
Joel
Old 01-13-2006, 08:15 PM   #53
amigo-2k
Isuzu Guy

http://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?t=6061

http://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?t=6050

couple more oil usuage trooper problems.

I added to this post since it has the most views.

Car Show Tips
Operations manager with a results-driven passion for process improvement
FAQ 98-04 Isuzu Rodeo, Rodeo Sport, Amigo, Trooper

SOLD - NOV2015 - 2000 Amigo, V6, HT winter, ST summer, 2wd
amigo-2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 06:32 PM   #54
hennigm4
AF Newbie

well , I just aquiered my sisters 88 ls 2.6. Drove it from GA to VA 650 miles burned about 3/4 a quart, I thought that was high until I read this post. All I can suggest is check it EVERY time you get gas. No point in using synthetic, it does not seem to stick around long enough to be benificial....I wonder if Isuzu has an oil rig somewhere??? Stock in Mobile or Valvoline....My ls has 188k on it needs exhaust and hopefully mild work. I hope to get another 50k out of it, reminds me of the old army jeep....
hennigm4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 05:32 PM   #55
h1machiii
AF Newbie

Smile Re: 98 isuzu trooper buring oil excessively

98 Trooper, have had it 4 years. I am using about 1 qt every 800-1000 miles. Thought it was only my problem until I talked to other Trooper owners. I don't find it a big deal. I love the vehicle, it gets decent mileage for an SUV, is solidly built, runs like a dream. Having to check/service the oil periodically is not a major inconvienence. I haven't tried any methods to improve consumption but will try them.
h1machiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 08:16 PM   #56
amigo-2k
Isuzu Guy

Car Show Tips

Old 12-26-2006, 06:16 PM   #57
woodsman8
AF Newbie

Hi, I've been researching forums for weeks because my wifes 2002 Trooper with 130,000 miles,has been burning about a quart of oil every 500 miles. I drained the oil, which has always been "DEALER" oil, added five quarts of Mobil1 0w-40, and using a Mobil1 oil filter. Went through two quarts in 800 miles, but the third quart lasted over 1000 miles. I'm going to change the oil before 3000 miles, as recommended by Mobil1. This is looking promissing! I'll post my future experience.
woodsman8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 09:58 AM   #58
bgwilson
AF Newbie

Re: Do they smoke?

My trooper uses 1-3/4 quarts per 1000 miles. It doesn't blow smoke. I can't stand the way this vehicle uses oil. My 20 year old BMW doesn't use any oil.
bgwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 04:21 PM   #59
amigo-2k
Isuzu Guy

info from an isuzu mechanic:

I USE BG ENG FLUSH, BUT THE MAIN THING IS TO DO IT CORRECTLY, IN USING THE BG AND I WOULD IMAGINE THE SEAFOAM AS WELL, GET THE ENG TO NORMAL TEMP AND DRAIN THE OIL , NOW INSTALL THE SEAFOM OR THE BG FLUSH WITH A NEW FILTER JUST A CHEAP OIL FILTER AND A CHANGE OF 5W30 ENG OIL DOES NOT HAVE TO BE HI GRADE OIL , NOW RUN THE ENG FOR ABOUT 45 MINUTES, WATCH THE OIL PRESSURE DOES NOT START TO DROP, IF IT DOES SHUT IT DOWN IMMEDIATELY, USUALLY WILL NOT DO THIS ,IF THE ENG IS REALLY GUMMED UP IT COULD PLUG UP THE OIL PICKUP PIPE , NOW DRAIN THE OIL ,REPLACE THE FILTER AND DO IT AGAIN WITH A ANOTHER BG OR SEAFOAM TREATMENT , THIS TIME DRIVE IT 1/2 HR -45 MIN, NOW DRAIN , AND ANOTHER FILTER AND THIS TIME FILL WITH ROTELLA 5-40 DSL GRADE ENG OIL THIS IS A VERY HI DETERGENT OIL, AND WATCH THEN THE OIL USAGE , AND RUN THIS OIL ABOUT 3000 MILES AND KEEP ADDING IF NECESSARY TO KEEP THE LEVEL NORMAL,, OR AS SOON AS THE OIL STARTS TO TURN REAL BLACK , CHANGE IT AGAIN , THE QUICKER IT TURNS BLACK MEANS IT IS CLEANING THE ENG , IT MAY HOWEVER TAKE A COUPLE OF OIL CHANGES TO GET ALL THE DIRTY STUFF OUT AND THE CARBON AND VARNISH TO START DISSAPEARING , AND THEN USE THE 5W40 ROTELLA ALL THE TIME ,, IT,S AVAILABLE AT WALMART , I WOULD DO THIS BEFORE GOING INTO THE ENG AND SEE IF TI DOESNT HELP, ALLSO MAKE CERTAIN THAT THE PCV VLV IS WORKING OR JUST REPLACE IT .MAIN THING IS JUST DONT RUN LOW OF OIL ,, THE REASON YOU WANT TO USE FREASH ENG OIL WITH THE ENG FLUSH , YOU DONT WANT IT TRYING TO BREAK DOWN THE SLUDGE AND VARNISH IN THE ENG AND ALLSO WHAT IS ALLREADY IN THE OLD OIL , WITH FREASH OIL ALL IT CAN ATTACK IS THE BUILD UP ON THE INTERNALL PARTS

Car Show Tips

Old 01-21-2007, 06:44 PM   #60
trooperbc
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by amigo-2k
info from an isuzu mechanic:

I USE BG ENG FLUSH, ....
to give credit where credit is certainly due, that's from JERRY LEMOND.

if the all caps isn't clue enough, the succinct knowledgeable advice certainly is.

ADD: in fact, i think that whole thread over on ITOG is very informative and useful:
http://forums.delphiforums.com/itog/messages?msg=3471.1

//bc

i love a good intermittent electrical challenge. . .especially when it's someone else's.

Last edited by trooperbc; 01-21-2007 at 07:32 PM.
trooperbc is offline   Reply With Quote