Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Street
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
WIP - Street Post topics for any "Works In Progress" street vehicles projects in this sub-forum.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-09-2006, 01:02 PM   #1
mchengsp33
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to mchengsp33
1/12 tamiya datsun 240z

Hi, this is my second post in here for my second model. Even though this was the safari car and suppose to be in the motorsports section, i am building it as a street car so i thought maybe it should go into this secion. Just building it OOB here with rims from the fujimi R32, Anyway here are the pictures, thanks for looking!

original body

with the R32 rims

with tamiya silver leaf

some of the parts (others still drying)
mchengsp33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 08:27 PM   #2
bhop73
AF Enthusiast

Re: 1/12 tamiya datsun 240z

Interesting. I have been wondering if this kit had the parts to build a street version. I guess now i'll be able to find out. The reason I wonder is because the Safari version has the shorter nose like the U.S. 240z's.
Old 07-09-2006, 11:09 PM   #3
mchengsp33
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhop73
Interesting. I have been wondering if this kit had the parts to build a street version. I guess now i'll be able to find out. The reason I wonder is because the Safari version has the shorter nose like the U.S. 240z's.
hi actually the kit does have the head light cover of the street version but the nose is shorter than the street version, so the head light cover won't fit. other than that, i think there are little things here and there that are different from the street version, but overall i think they are the same kits, because there are some parts in the instruction that are not used, so i guess they are for the street version. But basically i am just building it as the safari version, but without all that decals, that was what i mean by street version, thanks
Old 07-10-2006, 02:30 AM   #4
675datsun
AF Enthusiast

Rock for the Z!
Is the Tamiya Silver Leaf glossy like Tamiya Aluminum Silver TS-17?
Nice touch with the R32 rims...
Check out Kunta's build-up of a 1/12 240z(street) for some inspiration:
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...ht=1%2F12+240z
675datsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 11:20 AM   #5
mchengsp33
AF Regular

[quote=675datsun]
Is the Tamiya Silver Leaf glossy like Tamiya Aluminum Silver TS-17?

actually i've never used the aluminum silver, so i can't really compare the difference, however, the silver leaf is really shinny under the sun that sort of blinded my eyes when i was painting..haha
Old 07-12-2006, 01:27 AM   #6
mchengsp33
AF Regular

Hi all, here are some updates for the progress. The front suspension really gave me a headache!! Anyway everything else was fine and I painted the hood and the trunk cover tamiya semi-gloss black, thanks and please comment!

thanks!
Old 07-12-2006, 01:31 AM   #7
mchengsp33
AF Regular

oh by the way i am having trouble trying to fit the r32 rims onto this thing...seems like the r32 tires are wider than the z's, and also the part that connects the rims to the brakes doesn't really fit right in...so i think i might have to give up on that...
Old 07-12-2006, 04:15 AM   #8
syntax error
AF Regular

Looking sweet dude. I'm a huge fan of all Z'ds, and this one is looking hot. As 675datsun said, check out Kunta's build as it's spectacular and will inspire anyone.
Anyway, it's looking very cool, I'll keep an eye out on this build.
syntax error is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 04:23 PM   #9
Khier
AF Regular

First, great job.

Second, let us clarify the 'Street' definition. Do you mean by the stret the G-nose version? Or the original Z, the basis of the rally version? I would love to have a street version of the standard Z, i.e the one upon which the racing version is based. Could it be made using the Tamita kit or do I have to use a kit of the G-version as a donor?

Thanks

Walid
Khier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 08:03 PM   #10
mchengsp33
AF Regular

Hi just want to clear things up--so like I said in the previous post, I am just building the model using the safari version (not the street version), but not painting the body according to the Tamiya instruction, and not placing all those decals that the safari car has either. Basically it's the safari version with different color, if you will. I don't know anything about the street version (the long nose version) in terms of what the kit contains, but this kit (the safari version) doesn't have all the parts to build a standard Z (I looked at Kunta's build, his is the standard Z version and it looks sort of different from mine), and it doesn't have the long nose head lights either, thanks, hope that clears up the confusion!
Old 07-13-2006, 03:52 PM   #11
Khier
AF Regular

[quote=...., hope that clears up the confusion![/QUOTE]

More pictures would be the best clarification
Khier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 09:48 PM   #12
mchengsp33
AF Regular

Hi all, haven't touched this one for a while..I think I kind of lost motivation to finish the project...I think Tamiya 1/12 is too complicated for me (everything has to be "no cement here" or "movable".

Anyway I just got an 1/12 lamborghini countach by Doyusha on ebay and I've started prepping the body and the parts a little bit, so I will be working on that for a while, then maybe if I ever pick up the motivation to go back to this project..I will finish it..but meanwhile..it's stalled..

By the way..Doyusha models in my opinion are much easier to build..almost the same level of detail w/ Tamiya but you actually glue everything down instead of make it move..i mean..it's a display model..

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Street