Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Tacoma
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-13-2005, 06:42 PM   #1
737mechanic
AF Newbie

05 tacoma using regular gas or Premium?

Hi everyone,

I am thinking of buying a 05 Tacoma doublecab V6 automatic and was wondering if they run ok (Without Pinging) on regular fuel, Toyota recommends premium fuel. One of the reasons I am interested in the Tacoma is because of the gas mileage it says it should get, but that will be offset if I am forced to burn premium fuel in it.
737mechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 11:53 PM   #2
Celica Tech
AF Newbie

This brings up a valueble point about todays cars and fuel types. I will start out with this, what ever fuel you start with stick with. This incudes grade and gas station. I say this for one reason, your computer in your car learns your driving habbits, everything to how fast you accelerate, how long you let your car warm up, to how fast you take corners on a regular basis (if you have traction controll). If you change fuel types your computer is expecting the car to react a sertain way it will see something diferant, and this could cause running problems, check eng lights, misses, and even pinging.

Granted toyota says to use high grade fuel, and for this reason, To get the vehicle to perform to the specs the published they drove it useing high grade fuel, teaching the computer by driving it hard to get HP rateings, and then clearing the computer and teaching in just the other way to get the fuel econ rateings.

So if you decide to put just regual fuel into the truck, it wont run bad or ping, but just decide on a fuel type and brand (type the most inportant part) and stick with it. You may not get as good fuel econ as marked, or get all the HP stated, but your truck will run fine on it and you will never notice the HP loss from it.
Celica Tech is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Tacoma