Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Cavalier > Non-Performance
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Non-Performance This is the place to discuss interior, exterior, and other non-performance related modifications.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 11:39 AM   #1
Hush
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Hush Send a message via MSN to Hush Send a message via Yahoo to Hush Send a message via Skype™ to Hush
Radio Install 02 Cavalier Fuse Tap?

So um, been looking around this forum like crazy these last few days. Installing an aftermarket radio, actually a Sony Xplod. So since nobody would carry a wiring harness that was compatible for less than 150 dollars, I decided to just wire it myself. I installed a stereo on my 95 Cavalier a couple years ago so removing the dash and all that was easy as pie. I clipped the factory harness off and using the wiring diagram that came with my Sony, I just wired everything together using wire crimps + electric tape to secure everything. Only thing that I haven't gotten is the power switch wire (it's red on the Sony) and so I'm supposed to wire it to an ignition wire with an inline fuse.

I went to Radioshack and got an inline fuse and a 15 amp fuse. It's ATC style and the wire is huge! http://www.wiringproducts.com/conten...use_holder.jpg Is this going to be too thick to tap the Wiper fuse?

Also, to tap the fuse I was going to get this tap from NAPA Auto parts: http://partimages.genpt.com/largeimages/690121.jpg If I were to use this, would I even need the inline fuse? Could I just put the 15 amp fuse into the second slot of the tap? (25 amp wiper fuse into the first slot) Would that add the 15 amp fuse "into" the line going out?

Thanks for any help!
Hush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 02:23 PM   #2
J-Ri
AF Enthusiast

Re: Radio Install 02 Cavalier Fuse Tap?

I'm not familiar with that fuse tap, but from the looks of it, you are correct. The only thing I would do differently is use a very small fuse for the "ign on" signal. Every radio I've installed (not a lot, but several) has the B+ wire for power to the unit, and the ign on input is a very low amperage signal wire. Having a lower amperage fuse will protect the wiring in the fuse panel, it's only meant for running the wipers, and the wire going to the fuse is just big enough for the amperage the engineers figured. If your wire would happen to partially short to ground or the radio had an internal failure while the wipers were on, it could possibly melt the fuse terminals leaving you without wipers.
Poly engine/trans/control arm bushings
Self built and self programmed progressive methanol injection system
J-Ri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 02:32 PM   #3
inafogg
AF Enthusiast

Only thing that I haven't gotten is the power switch wire (it's red on the Sony) and so I'm supposed to wire it to an ignition wire with an inline fuse.

WHY CANT YOU USE THE OLD POWER SOURSE
i no you cut harness but the hot should still be there
its proboly going into fuse box already???
inafogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 04:06 PM   #4
J-Ri
AF Enthusiast

The '02 uses what is known as an RDS radio. It does not have an ignition on source, it uses a serial data line to the BCM that tells it to turn on, this is how the radio stays on until the drivers door is opened or a timer runs out. It also provides a much better theft protection than the old ones by requiring that the VIN stored in the radio matches that of the PCM and/or BCM, (I'm not 100% sure on where the match is made), and so doesn't require a code if the battery power is lost.
Poly engine/trans/control arm bushings
Self built and self programmed progressive methanol injection system
J-Ri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 06:23 PM   #5
Hush
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Hush Send a message via MSN to Hush Send a message via Yahoo to Hush Send a message via Skype™ to Hush

Well guys, I went to NAPA Auto Parts to get the fuse tap. The one I pictured above ran up a bill of $25! I decided not to go with that and just go with the basic fuse tap: http://www.bussmann.com/images/1c4ad...727a44c382.JPG Because it was to thick to fit into the fuse terminal, I just bent the prong (that holsters the fuse) back until it was straight and I stuck it into the terminal before putting the fuse into it. It seemed to fit after I pushed on it with some force. I put a wire to the clip (the blue thing in the picture), taped it up, and attached it to the fuse tap. This wire was the thick one I was talking about and it had an inline fuse. I put a 15 amp fuse in it and then attached it to the stereo's red wire. I then tested it with the battery on and BAM! The new stereo came on in the ACC position. If anyone needs help, this worked out perfectly. It was way easier than trying to find a wire to splice into.

Wipers still worked. When the job was finished, I lost the door chimes like expected. I replaced the airbag fuse and with fear, I turned the car on. Nothing. No explosion, or deploy. It worked out fine.
Old 01-01-2010, 11:51 AM   #6
Hush
AF Newbie

I can post photos if anybody wants to see how I tapped it.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Cavalier > Non-Performance