Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-02-2005, 06:07 AM   #1
kachok25
AF Enthusiast

direct injection engines

Could direct injection technology eliminate detnation problems in gasoline engines? After all you cannot detonate what is not there yet if gasoline in injected near top dead center it could only be burnd at the rate it is injected. this could be used to raise compression ratios or boost leavels in racing engines if I am not mistaken. The only problem that I could think of is the inability to create a completly homogenous mixture with direct injection (not enough time to completly vaporize the fuel), but I would think that it would be more than offset by the increased boost and or compression. However I do think that it would be difficult to pass emissions if you wanted to use it in a street legal engine. Someone give me your thoughts on this, it sounds logical to me but I am not sure how well it would work.
kachok25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 06:24 AM   #2
Reed
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Reed
Re: direct injection engines

well most gasoline engines start the burn some degrees before TDC. so detonation could still be a problem. other than that it sounds like a good idea to me.
Old 12-02-2005, 07:17 AM   #3
CraigFL
AF Regular

What you say is true but everytime anyone makes a major change like this, there will be problems -- pre production, early life and long term. There are also tradeoffs. When you want to force a technology change like this, development comes over a period of years. Auto makers are reluctant to jump into new ideas like this without significant development time.
Old 12-02-2005, 10:36 AM   #4
kachok25
AF Enthusiast

oh I am not saying lets force it down everybodys throat, or that it will change everything overnight, I was just checking if my theory was sound, and worth experementing with.
Old 12-02-2005, 11:46 AM   #5
Alastor187
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kachok25
Could direct injection technology eliminate detnation problems in gasoline engines? After all you cannot detonate what is not there yet if gasoline in injected near top dead center it could only be burnd at the rate it is injected. this could be used to raise compression ratios or boost leavels in racing engines if I am not mistaken. The only problem that I could think of is the inability to create a completly homogenous mixture with direct injection (not enough time to completly vaporize the fuel), but I would think that it would be more than offset by the increased boost and or compression. However I do think that it would be difficult to pass emissions if you wanted to use it in a street legal engine. Someone give me your thoughts on this, it sounds logical to me but I am not sure how well it would work.
You would probably be interested in what Audi has done with their R8, here is link discussing the benfits of their direct injection system:

http://www.audiworld.com/news/05/lem...s/062505.shtml
Old 12-02-2005, 12:13 PM   #6
Schister66
AF -Advisor

Send a message via AIM to Schister66 Send a message via MSN to Schister66

the only problem is that you're going to have to put the gas under a lot of pressure like they do in diesel vehicles and that makes them harder to work on.....
Old 12-02-2005, 04:28 PM   #7
Moppie
Master Connector

Send a message via ICQ to Moppie Send a message via AIM to Moppie Send a message via Yahoo to Moppie

Mitsibushi have been buidling direct injection petrol cars for about 10 years now, but only selling them in the Japanese Market.
That changed about 5 years ago, when certian models became avliable in limited numbers in overseas markets.
The Technology is now slowly making its way into thier entire model range here in NZ, and Im sure it will reach the rest of the world soon enough.
Old 12-03-2005, 03:14 AM   #8
kachok25
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: direct injection engines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastor187
You would probably be interested in what Audi has done with their R8, here is link discussing the benfits of their direct injection system:

http://www.audiworld.com/news/05/lem...s/062505.shtml
thanks for the link I guess that I had the right idea, now I would love to see what they could do with that on a turbocharged street car without Le Mans rules.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical