Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Cavalier > Non-Performance
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Non-Performance This is the place to discuss interior, exterior, and other non-performance related modifications.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 11:15 PM   #1
Raffmanlt
AF Newbie

Just bought a cavalier opinions?

Okay I am knew to this forum, I just bought a 1998 cav convertible with119,000 miles for 2300 dollars is that a good price? In some ways it is pretty clean but it has some issues I will already have to fix.

I have never seen a cleaner engine bay, it does not leak oil nor does it burn oil. Paint not too bad, has little specs of white where paint has chipped off just like on my 97 grandam. A few little scratches and dents, but the dashboard is perfect which I understand is really rare. Conv top has some issues and leaks, radio didnt work but I just fixed that. Conv top will not work on its own. Weatherstripping is in bad shape and needs replaced. Mirrors are not adjusting with control and passenger side one seems to shake constantly. Front end was way out of alignment but got that fixed. AC not working but fixed that by adding refrigerant but it leaked out pretty fast. 2 things that have started that annoy the heck out of me is a squeaking serpentine belt and a tapping lifter. Prev owner said he had put a knew belt on, lately it has been making a groaning noise so think maybe the tensioner pulley or one of the accessories may be having bearing failure.

I love driving with the top down, and I always liked the look of these cars. I understand I will have to work on it some and have already made a couple of trips to the salvage yard. With the 2.2 non ecotec and the auto transm power is lacking. At some point I will probably strap on a turbo like I did on my ecotec vehicle.

Is the tapping lifter a common problem?
Old 10-24-2012, 03:41 PM   #2
razr_88
AF Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to razr_88
Re: Just bought a cavalier opinions?

From what i've heard it is a common issue. I've hear it is actually something to do with the fact that the entire engine is aluminum... but who knows. i have the 2.2 ecotec
razr_88 is offline   Reply With Quote