Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling
Car Modeling Share your passion for car modeling here! Includes sub-forum for "in progress" and "completed" vehicles.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 09:57 AM   #1
Wolf95
AF Regular

my first attempt at applying a cf decal failed....

So, I followed all the steps from the tutorial on applying cf decals on an acura integra hood. it looks..... like crap. The middle and left side turned out fine but the whole right side was riddled with bubbles and wrinkles. I was following the tuts procedure on starting in the center and workin my way out but I think I let the right side sit too long before letting it down on the hood. Then I applied a little too much solvent and discolored a bit on the left...

Are there any steps I can take to avoid having these problems?? I know it's trial and error but I dont wanna blow an entire piece of cf on learnin how to apply it. Also, I'm using the heat from a lamp instead of a blow dryer. is this a good substitute or does it need the wind power also to conform to the surface. Any help would be much appreciated
Wolf95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 10:19 AM   #2
Froride1
Unique Case

Re: my first attempt at applying a cf decal failed....

I apply CF the same as most other decals.

1. Laydown some Micro Set.
2. Lay the CF decal on the part.
3. Work out the wrinkles and air bubbles. Don't be super worried about it now, you can go back and work it more later.
4. Brush Micro Sol over the whole decal.
5. Either let it sit or hit it with the hair dryer.
6. Once the decal is pretty dry, carefully work on areas with bubbles. It is very tricky to work wrinkles. Working them can make things worse. Sometimes when they are caused by the setting solution they will go away by themselves.

For me the key and hard part is being patient and letting the decal sit to dry. I try not to rush things. On a hood it should be pretty straight forward to lay down the decal, cover it with Micro Sot and let it dry for a while. If there are some air bubbles you can go back with a sharp knife or pin, carefully puncture the bubble, then add more Micro Set to eliminate it.

You'll get it, but it does take some practice. I actually covered a bunch of parts just to figure out how to do it. Yeah it wasted a CF decal sheet but helped me learn how to do it.

The part I still have mahor porblems with is making templates. They never seem to work very well.
Froride1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 10:47 AM   #3
Wolf95
AF Regular

My template came out perfect, although it was a little bigger than expected but like the tutorial said, it shrinks. I woke up this morning and some of the wrinkles and bubbles were smaller. I dont think I waited long enough when applying the solvent. Also, I had some scratches in the surface that showed through so I'll need to go back and prep the surface better.

The problem with this hood is toward the front, 2 wrinkles always appear. I tried it on regular autozone carbon fiber stickers and this was no different.

I'm gonna peel it all off, prep the surface better, and try again. Now when you say "work out the wrinkles and bubbles, what are you using? A Qtip?
Old 02-26-2010, 12:05 PM   #4
Froride1
Unique Case

Just like paint the surface needs to be smooth because any imperfection will show. It sounds like you are getting winkles where the hood slopes forward. You may need to cut the decal where the wrinlkes form to allow them to lay on top of each other. this will help the decaal conform to the curve of the hood better. This is a problem with covering curved and irregular surfaces. Another way to solve the problem is to cut darts (a small V shapped cut) in the decal. This will also allow the decal to follow the curve of the surface better.

I use a flat tipped brush to apply solvent and work the decals. The brush is a Floquil #4 flat tipped brush. If it a large flat surface I use a paper towel to squeeze out as much of the trapped air before using solvent.

The templates I have problems with are for odd shaped parts like MotoGP bike airboxes and fenders. I have the same problems as you. The decal gets wrinkles where I should have used two decals or slit the decal. I'm still learning what works.
Froride1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 02:15 PM   #5
Wolf95
AF Regular

ic ic... well I'm going to give it another go sometime soon. thanks for your help

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
carbon , fiber
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling