Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling
Car Modeling Share your passion for car modeling here! Includes sub-forum for "in progress" and "completed" vehicles.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 09:46 PM   #1
91p10nizmo
AF Enthusiast

Gulf blue match?

Hi can anyone tell me what colour in the tamiya spray range would best match the gulf blue? I want to get this kit, but i dont have an air brush so use tamiya spray.

Maybe TS10 French Blue or TS23 Light Blue?
http://www.tamiya.com/english/produc...y/kit85001.htm

And i guess the orange would just be TS12 Orange?

Thanks for any help.
91p10nizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 02:43 AM   #2
das_auto
AF Regular

Re: Gulf blue match?

If you must go with Tamiya sprays, Iīd suggest getting this...

....And eventually experiment a little with different colors as an undercoat, like the
TS-10 French blue and also TS-15 Blue. To get it a bit more blue. The AS-5 dries to a satin sheen so you will have to clearcoat.

TS-10 and TS-23 are way too blue to pass as Gulf colors by themselves. The Gulf blue is often misinterpreted as being more "blue" than it is.

If you look at the pictures below and compare with your boxart you see where Iīm going, and if you weigh in the "scale effect" that paints should be about 10% lighter on a model than on the 1:1 then the AS-5 looks like a pretty good match, the only thing is that the AS-5 can be a bit too green but if you apply it over a white primer or lightly over a blue undercoat that will minimize this effect...

And if youīre going with the TS-12 Orange, be sure to apply this first over a white primer also. Mask off the orange and re-prime before you spray the next color. Because if you spray the orange directly
over the blue. You will get a very weird color.

EDIT: I donīt know were you live but alternatively if you want to stray from the Tamiya sprays you could try to get an automotive spray can of the Triumph color: 051 Powder blue....Itīs apparently used by Gulf GT40 restorers.

And it looks like this....

Hope this helps You out!

Cheers!

Emil

Last edited by das_auto; 02-24-2010 at 04:05 AM.
das_auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 03:20 AM   #3
TurboGuru
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91p10nizmo View Post
Hi can anyone tell me what colour in the tamiya spray range would best match the gulf blue? I want to get this kit, but i dont have an air brush so use tamiya spray.

Maybe TS10 French Blue or TS23 Light Blue?
http://www.tamiya.com/english/produc...y/kit85001.htm

And i guess the orange would just be TS12 Orange?

Thanks for any help.
Holy crap - is that a Ferrari 288 GTO in Gulf Livery - that kit looks interesting.
Old 02-24-2010, 03:46 AM   #4
TurboGuru
AF Regular

ahhhhhhh, its a new release
Old 02-24-2010, 04:56 AM   #5
godfather23
AF Enthusiast

Emil, even though I didnīt start this thread I always wondered about a gulf blue color match in spray can. Not knowing whcih blue to use prevented me from starting all the nice Gulf-livery-kits out there.

Regarding the 288GTO kit, I wonder what made Fujimi do this? It looks odd. Is there a real 288 GTO with a Gulf livery??

Cheers

Robert
Ferrari 250 GTO LM 1962 (chassis #3387)
godfather23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 05:26 AM   #6
das_auto
AF Regular

Quote:
Emil, even though I didnīt start this thread I always wondered about a gulf blue color match in spray can. Not knowing whcih blue to use prevented me from starting all the nice Gulf-livery-kits out there.

Regarding the 288GTO kit, I wonder what made Fujimi do this? It looks odd. Is there a real 288 GTO with a Gulf livery??
Cheers mate! Happy to help out, Itīs what AF is for yīknow....

And about the history of the Ferrari....

It turns out It has something to do with a man called John Wyer who was the man behind the Gulf Porsches and Fords (GT-40, 917, 908 etc.) And he is also the man credited for solving the well known handling problems of the 917.
The team who run this Ferrari was called John Wyer Gulf + Western Ferrari (?)

See this link...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Wyer

A pic of the real car...looking a bit worse for wear IMO....

http://www.motorsport.com/photos/vin...pb-rp-0110.jpg

Maybe the real historians on here can tell us more....Interesting car without doubt.

Cheers!

Emil

Last edited by das_auto; 02-24-2010 at 06:29 AM.
Old 02-24-2010, 06:13 AM   #7
godfather23
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by das_auto View Post
A pic of the real car...looking a bit worse for wear IMO....

http://www.motorsport.com/photos/vin...pb-rp-0110.jpg

Maybe the real historians on here can tell us more....Interesting car without doubt.
To me this one looks like a 512...but a 288 GTO has different side windows and the shape of the front is different...

Interesting - nevertheless - when the kit resembles a real car.

Robert
Old 02-24-2010, 06:28 AM   #8
das_auto
AF Regular

Quote:
To me this one looks like a 512...but a 288 GTO has different side windows and the shape of the front is different...
Oh, OK! I stand corrected. I was fooled by the labeling of the photo, as it was labeled as a 288 GTO.

BTW...I find the " hunting" for the story behind a subject just as fun as building, Itīs really interesting what things come up when you have all these people worldwide with an interest in the same thing....

Cheers!
Old 02-24-2010, 06:37 AM   #9
godfather23
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
BTW...I find the " hunting" for the story behind a subject just as fun as building, Itīs really interesting what things come up when you have all these people worldwide with an interest in the same thing....

Cheers!
True, researching on my next project (the 1962 24h Le Mans Ferrari 250 GTO #17) is very interesting and shortens the time until the kit arrives a lot. Actually, it makes me very anxious starting the build.

Besides that AF gives me the opportunity to get to know websites and research chances that wonīt show up google.

Robert
Old 02-24-2010, 08:59 AM   #10
drunken monkey
Razor Sharp Twit

first of all; a reminder of a past thread about the colours in cans.

link

for those too lazy to click the link:
Ford has an paint color in their books called Ford Nordic Blue that one of our members has found to be a close match for the Gulf racing light blue.
Good auto supplies stores should be able to get you that in a 500ml spray can.

Also a reminder for those who may find it handy, the real ICI paint codes.
Light Blue P030-8013
Marigold P030-3393.

And that Guf liveried Ferrari in the linked photo is a 308 GTB.

Read them.

Currently in the process of re-hosting my photos.
If any go missing, drop me a PM.
drunken monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 09:20 AM   #11
das_auto
AF Regular

Quote:
Ford has an paint color in their books called Ford Nordic Blue that one of our members has found to be a close match for the Gulf racing light blue.

Light Blue P030-8013
Marigold P030-3393.
Sorry! I didīnt know . He specifically asked for the nearest Tamiya equivalent. The Triumph color just came up shortly after posting when looking after another thing, and I thought Iīd post it too.

Quote:
Sorry ībout that too, it was labeled as a 288 GTO. And it has some similarities to the 288...thatīs probably what fooled the photographer as well.

Cheers!

Emil

Last edited by das_auto; 02-24-2010 at 09:56 AM.
Old 02-24-2010, 10:54 AM   #12
godfather23
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunken monkey View Post
first of all; a reminder of a past thread about the colours in cans.

link

for those too lazy to click the link:

Light Blue P030-8013
Marigold P030-3393.

Thanks for the information. You could have phrased them a little more friendly though.
Old 02-25-2010, 02:26 AM   #13
91p10nizmo
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
If you must go with Tamiya sprays, Iīd suggest getting this...

....And eventually experiment a little with different colors as an undercoat, like the
TS-10 French blue and also TS-15 Blue. To get it a bit more blue. The AS-5 dries to a satin sheen so you will have to clearcoat.

TS-10 and TS-23 are way too blue to pass as Gulf colors by themselves. The Gulf blue is often misinterpreted as being more "blue" than it is.

If you look at the pictures below and compare with your boxart you see where Iīm going, and if you weigh in the "scale effect" that paints should be about 10% lighter on a model than on the 1:1 then the AS-5 looks like a pretty good match, the only thing is that the AS-5 can be a bit too green but if you apply it over a white primer or lightly over a blue undercoat that will minimize this effect...

And if youīre going with the TS-12 Orange, be sure to apply this first over a white primer also. Mask off the orange and re-prime before you spray the next color. Because if you spray the orange directly
over the blue. You will get a very weird color.

EDIT: I donīt know were you live but alternatively if you want to stray from the Tamiya sprays you could try to get an automotive spray can of the Triumph color: 051 Powder blue....Itīs apparently used by Gulf GT40 restorers.

And it looks like this....

Hope this helps You out!

Cheers!

Emil
Thank you for all your help mate. I only use tamiya sprays cause that is all the local shop has, and i quite like using them cause they are easy. I am in New Zealand.

So do you reakon that that AS5 would look alright on top of tamiya white primer? cause thats all i have. And you reakon paint the orange bits first and then mask and then do the blue?

Thank you
Nathan
91p10nizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 06:14 AM   #14
mattbacon
AF Enthusiast

If you're going to do that, mask the rest before you paint the orange parts, then mask over them before painting the blue or AS5. If you just spray the Orange and then mask, you'll have a devil of a job getting the same "blue" colour where there's orange overspray underneath as you get over the pure white primer. I'd primer in white, mask and paint the orange stripes, leave to dry 48 hours, mask over the Orange and spray a Tamiya blue undercoat, leave that to dry, and then over spray with AS5 in light, even coats until it looks right...

Alternatively visit your local car superstore (Halfords in the UK, not sure what in NZ) and get whatever looks right to you!

bestest,
M.
mattbacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 06:58 AM   #15
das_auto
AF Regular

Quote:
Thank you for all your help mate. I only use tamiya sprays cause that is all the local shop has, and i quite like using them cause they are easy. I am in New Zealand.

So do you reakon that that AS5 would look alright on top of tamiya white primer? cause thats all i have. And you reakon paint the orange bits first and then mask and then do the blue?

Thank you
Nathan
Cheers Mate! Glad to help!

Quote:
If you're going to do that, mask the rest before you paint the orange parts, then mask over them before painting the blue or AS5. If you just spray the Orange and then mask, you'll have a devil of a job getting the same "blue" colour where there's orange overspray underneath as you get over the pure white primer. I'd primer in white, mask and paint the orange stripes, leave to dry 48 hours, mask over the Orange and spray a Tamiya blue undercoat, leave that to dry, and then over spray with AS5 in light, even coats until it looks right...

Alternatively visit your local car superstore (Halfords in the UK, not sure what in NZ) and get whatever looks right to you!

bestest,
M.

Exactly What Matt said, thats the way to go..

Cheers!

Emil

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling