Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Sierra
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-09-2005, 03:50 PM   #1
kenbo
AF Newbie

Cooling problem

Had a new thermostat fitted. After that initialy the cabin heater would not work due to an air lock, temp gauge reading normal. But after a long run the air lock moved and now the temp gauge never reaches norm running temp. Tried running engine with radiator cap off but verry little change in the gauge. My car has a 1.8 CVH engine. Is there any bleed valves in the system? or have you any advise? It is starting to bug me now>
kenbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 05:47 AM   #2
liquidlunch1812
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to liquidlunch1812
Re: Cooling problem

liquidlunch1812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 03:02 PM   #3
Station X
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenbo
Had a new thermostat fitted. After that initialy the cabin heater would not work due to an air lock, temp gauge reading normal. But after a long run the air lock moved and now the temp gauge never reaches norm running temp. Tried running engine with radiator cap off but verry little change in the gauge. My car has a 1.8 CVH engine. Is there any bleed valves in the system? or have you any advise? It is starting to bug me now>
There is no bleed spigot on the CVH block (unlike the OHC) - the trick is to move your dashboard heater control all the way to HOT (at the top), drain the system off (bottom radiator hose), then refill while the heater setting is on HOT, this keeps the valve open to the heater matrix in the cabin, allowing the coolant mixture to reach all parts of the system. When full, refit the cap and run the engine (with heater setting still to HOT), until norm operating temp. is reached. Stop engine and check coolant level WHEN COLD - CAREFUL, the CVH is a closed system, if you remove the cap when hot, you could get SERIOUSLY scalded!! Top if if necessary. I have used this method many times on the 1.8 CVH block and never had any problems. If fault persists, it could be a poor/dirty connection on the temp sender (next to thermostat housing) - or it could always be a dodgy stat, it happens. Would recommend flushing system out too, drain as above, run engine until hot, drain and refill as above. Hope this helps. !.8 is otherwise a great, reliable engine! Good luck
Station X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 04:26 PM   #4
jgirl
AF Newbie

I have a busted hose that runs to my ABS box and the other end runs to a little black box which electric wires run out the other end of. What is this hose and could it be causing my car to over heat even if no coolant is leaking from the car??
jgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 02:29 AM   #5
KimMG
AF - Advisor

jgirl -

can you post a picture of this hose?

As far as overheating, can you tell us under what conditions it is overheating? Have you checked the coolant level? Does the belt going to the water pump have the proper tension? Have you checked the oil level? Do you perform regular maintenance on the vehicle (oil changes, flushing the cooling system)? What year is your vehicle? Which motor do you have?
KimMG is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Sierra