Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Saturn > LS/LW
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 01:36 PM   #1
cocoa1999
AF Newbie

2002 L300 DTC Code B2960

So my Security light comes on intermittantly and sometimes the Wrench service light with it. Turn the car off and they both do not come on again, but as you drive the car, they MIGHT come on after about 15 minutes.

The dealership told me that this code says that the Security System Voltage is incorrect but valid. Basically they didn't charge me anything and said that nothing is broken as of now. I take it that the voltage is within an acceptible range, which is how I am interpreting the error code.

Does anyone else have any comments as to this sort of diagnosis? Is there something I am missing? One last thing, the battery is original and it still cranks the car over with authority, but I rarely see the green indicator on this thing anymore. Could that be the incosistency in the voltage perhaps?

Any comments or insight greatly appreciated. Thank you.
cocoa1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 12:34 PM   #2
brian 1
AF Regular

Re: 2002 L300 DTC Code B2960

i found a bulletin for this code and the problem you describe.long story short,it states to replace the passlock sensor in the ignition lock housing.also make sure you dont have an aftermarket alarm.this will affect the passlock system.
brian 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 07:23 AM   #3
cocoa1999
AF Newbie

Thanks for the information. Can I ask where you got this bulletin? Also, I don't have anything aftermarket attached to the car so I am OK there. I also disabled the passlock system (I really don't see the need anyway). By doing this I hope to head off any costly repairs on something unnecessary. I just don't want to get hung up where the car won't start, but by disabling the passlock system I hope I have avoided such a thing.

Please lend me your comments futher on this if you don't mind, and thanks again.

JBL
Old 12-04-2007, 09:23 PM   #4
brian 1
AF Regular

i got the bulletin from si which is service information.but this information is on available to gm techs.yes i work at the dealer.i get this info from gm,so i can diagnoise and repair gm vehicles.(saturn too).can you tell me what you mean by disabling passlock sys.its part of the theft deterant sys.it cant be disabled.please explain.
Old 12-07-2007, 06:02 AM   #5
cocoa1999
AF Newbie

I got the information on how to disable the passlock system right in the owners manual. I don't have it with me but it is a procedure in which you hit a sequence of keys on the keyless remote. If you still want the exact sequence let me knowand I will post them.

Is this "SI" available on the web somewhere?

Thanks for your response-
Old 12-07-2007, 04:22 PM   #6
brian 1
AF Regular

i was reading the description and operation of the passlock sys.i will try to explain the passlock sys as best i can.The Passlock™ system is a vehicle theft deterrent system which deters drive-away vehicle theft by disabling the engine operation if the ignition lock cylinder is not rotated with the proper mechanically cut key.
The Passlock™ system is made up of an ignition lock assembly, Passlock™ sensor, body control module (BCM), instrument panel cluster (IPC), and either a powertrain control module (PCM) for L61 engines, or an engine control module (ECM) for L81 engines.
The ignition lock cylinder contains a magnet mounted on the lock cylinder and a Passlock™ sensor assembly mounted on the ignition module which consists of a security hall effect sensor, a tamper hall effect sensor, and output resistors. A drill proof metal shield is also staked over the sensor housing.
The Passlock™ sensor mounted to the ignition lock cylinder assembly is located inside the upper right side of the steering column. The Passlock™ sensor contains 2 hall effect sensors: a tamper hall effect sensor and a security hall effect sensor. The tamper hall effect sensor is mounted on top of the security hall effect sensor. Should someone attempt to defeat the system by use of magnetic experimentation, the tamper hall effect sensor will activate first.
The BCM has the Passlock™ controller integrated into it which controls the majority of the security systems logic. The BCM reads the data from the Passlock™ sensor continuously. If the data is correct and has been received by the BCM within a specified time, the BCM will send a coded password to the ECM/PCM. The ECM/PCM will then allow the fuel injectors to operate.
The ECM is used on the L81 engine applications. The coded password for the security system is sent from the BCM to the ECM via the controller area network (CAN) bus. If the password is correct and received within the specified time, the ECM will allow the fuel injectors to operate.
The PCM is used on L61 engine applications. The coded password for the security system is sent form the BCM to the PCM via the class 2 data link. If the password is correct and received within the specified time, the PCM will allow the fuel injectors to operate.i think what you did was diable the alarm part of the sys.the passlock sys prevents the vehicle from being stolen by breaking the ignition lock cyl.this sys has to see a key in the ignition to start,no other way around it.i think we are talking about 2 different things.to make a long story short i would still fix this or have it looked at.when there is a problem in the passlock sys the vehicle may not start.(sorry for the long story).if you have any other questions or problems post back.as far as si it is on the web BUT only the dealer and gm techs have axis to this.you have to have a log on and password.it is no open to public viewing.(sorry).
Old 12-09-2007, 09:17 AM   #7
cocoa1999
AF Newbie

Wow - Brian thanks for the explanation. Since I have disabled the Passlock system, I am not getting the light coming on now for some time. Keeping fingers crossed!

Merry Christmas!

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Saturn > LS/LW