Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand AM
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 08:56 PM   #1
niktionary
AF Newbie

2001 Grand Am GT starting issues

I'll preface this by saying that I'm not a car person and I know how to check my fluids and that's about it.

I have a 2001 Grand AM GT. In March, I got an oil change, a new fuel filter and had the serpentine belt replaced. When I went to pick it up from the shop, there was no power to the car. I turned the key and nothing happened. No indicator lights. No crank. Nothing. They used a jump box on it and it started just fine.

Two days later, same issue. No power. The shop brought a jump box to my house again, jumped it, it started and they took it in. They found nothing wrong.

Three days later, the car wouldn't start. I had power- indicator lights and whatnot and it cranked. It just wouldn't catch. So I bought a new battery on the hope that that might help. Sure enough, the car started just fine.

I then drove it from Michigan to California. A few days after I got here, the problem returned. No power at all. Again, a jump box fixed it. I took it to a dealership.

The dealership said that the terminals on my battery were switched and fixed that then told me the fuel system needed to be cleaned and flushed. Fine. I did that.

Took it home and it ran fine. Since then, I've had five more issues with the car not turning on. It has power now but won't turn over all the way. Every time it has to be towed in and every time it gets to the dealership, it works just fine for them. And no, they are not charging me to tow it or look at it so they're not just trying to rip me off on towing and diagnostics fees.

I have noticed that on occassion my SECURITY light is on. It never stays on and I never have problems while it's on but it has been popping on at least once a month since all this stuff started.

Does anyone have ANY ideas on what I should tell the dealership to look for? Since apparently they have monkeys with wrenches back there who can't function without a computer telling them what to do.
niktionary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 10:06 PM   #2
xeroinfinity
out saving the world

Re: 2001 Grand Am GT starting issues

Welcome to AF !

I would have them test the ignition switch.
Sometimes new keys can help if the lock cylinder is getting worn/loose inside.
But I would think the stealership would have checked this... but maybe not...

If your battery/alternator/starter are all working properly, and all your connections are clean and tight, including the engine grounds, then it has to be in the switch or lock cylinder. They are cheap plastic and a problem area.

Good Luck

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand AM