Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand AM
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 05:30 AM   #1
Melissia
AF Newbie

2002 Pontiac Grand Am SE

Good morning everyone,

This morning I was getting ready to leave for work and my "service Engine Soon" light was on.. I turned off the car and let it set for a few minutes before trying to restart it because I thought that the remote started may have triggered the sensor to go off without reason. When I went to put my car into reverse, it seemed like the engine started to shake. I backed it out of the driveway thinking that I would have to have it towed.. I let it sit for a few minutes longer, called off work and went back outside. I started it again, and thought that I would try to drive around the block. It doesn't shake as much as when it is in drive as it does when it is in reverse, but it seems like it is trying much harder to go. I have to push the gas pedal in further and the RPM's go up higher than normal. When I got back around the block and turned to car off, it smelled as if something was burnt.. I really can't explain it. I know I am going to have it towed to get it fixed, but any ideas what could be causing this?? I have just run out of warranty and have a year left to pay on my car..

Thanks for you help..
Melissia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 12:25 PM   #2
xeroinfinity
out saving the world

Re: 2002 Pontiac Grand Am SE

Welcome to AF.

You didnt mention your engine and mileage...

You'd need to have your car scanned for trouble codes to realy see and know whats going wrong.

Though, it does sound like you had a misfire which interupts fuel/spark to a cylinder , and it'll run a little rough untill the problem is fixed.

Either the ingintion system, plugs & wires , coils or ignition control module(ICM), are not operating properly or one or more of your fuel injectors are having troubles with in thier systems.

Good Luck
Old 02-19-2008, 01:32 PM   #3
Melissia
AF Newbie

Re: 2002 Pontiac Grand Am SE

Thanks for your reply...

I have approximately 85,000 miles on my car and it is a 4 cylinder. I have it at a shop today although they haven't had time to look at it.. Hopefully will know something soon....
Melissia is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand AM