Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Kia > Sorento
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-02-2015, 04:54 PM   #1
davidcalvinrealtor
AF Newbie

The car alarm sounds when I try to start the engine. Engine does not turn over.

I have a 2012 Kia Sorento. When I try to start my car, the alarm goes off (the horn honks and the headlights flash) and the engine does not turn over or make any sound. I'm using the key that I've been using on the vehicle since I bought it used last summer. The only time it has ever done this in the past was a few months ago when I tried using my spare key to the vehicle, after that I went back to only using the primary key again and had no further issues until now. The key fob is working fine, I can lock and unlock the doors and disable the alarm using my key fob. I put the key in the ignition and there are no signs of trouble at this point. It's when I turn the key that the alarm begins to go off. The alarm continues to sound until I use the key fob to disarm it. The vehicle shows no signs of trying to start (as in no noise from the engine). I unhooked the battery for a while hoping that would help reset something. I hooked it back up, tried again, same thing happened. I waited a few minutes after that and then made another attempt to start the vehicle, this time, no alarm but it also didn't start but made the clicking sound you often hear when trying to start a car with a dead battery. It was the next day before I was able to attempt to jump start the vehicle. I hooked up the jumper cables with another car and tried to start the Kia Sorento hoping that the total drain of the battery may have helped reset something. This time, it was a total success. The vehicle started with no issues and no alarm while being hooked up on the jumper cables. BUT, after driving the vehicle around for a few hours and then turning it off for about a half hour, it's giving the same issue when I try to start it now (the sounding of the alarm and not starting the engine). I have not yet tried jumping it off again. My Kia just rolled over 61k miles and the part of the warranty that would cover any type of issue like this ran out at 60k miles and no dealership around here will give me a break. Does anyone have any solutions to this before I spend an arm and a leg letting someone troubleshoot and try to repair this?
davidcalvinrealtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 02:20 PM   #2
rhandwor
AF Enthusiast

Re: The car alarm sounds when I try to start the engine. Engine does not turn over.

Advanced Auto or Auto Zone will check your charging system free.
Use a DVOM and check voltage in the morning post the voltage.
You may have a drain on the battery.
rhandwor is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
alarm/no , start , won't
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Kia > Sorento