Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Porsche > 914
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 06:51 PM   #1
300zxrunner
AF Newbie

crazy thought for the 914

Ok I was laying in bed thinking to myself last night. I just recently purchased a motor from the Integra GSR for cheap. Just something for me to come home to and fool around with in my garage. I've been brainstorming on what car I should drop this into once I've finished building it up. I've thought, I'll just put it back into a GSR shell or one with a blown motor. But those are hard to find. I thought i could just put it into a civic hatch, but everyone does that and i don't want to be just one of the crowd, thats not me. Now this is going to sound a little crazy and I don't know if it will anger any of you die hard 914 enthusiasts, but would it be possible to drop this 1.8 liter I4 into a 914? Money isn't too big of a problem I have about 10 grand im willing to invest in what ever I do decide. Try not to yell at me because it is just a thought any helpful feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
300zxrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 08:20 AM   #2
3d914
AF Newbie

Re: crazy thought for the 914

Since you didn't mention it, I'll conclude you are referring to the B18C motor. But any of the 1.8s (A, B, or C) would be a nice fit for the 914, especially since the car weighs less than 2400lbs. Kennedy Eng. Products list of 914 adapters appears to include Acura Integra 1990+, but I'd contact them with engine specifics to verify. This would be a good mate for the 914 transaxle since the torque is well below the 300ft/lb limit.

The first step is to get the dimensions of the engine front-rear (including drive & accessory belts back to the rear mounting face), dimensions top-bottom (including intake down to bottom oil pan). Also note any jogs in the oil pan profile since the stock engine bar runs side-to-side underneath it. Engine width shouldn't be an issue since the engine bay is very wide - more than enough for a V6, V8, or factory flat-8.

If you can get a sketch of the engine with the dimensions mentioned, I have a CAD model I can do a quick fit-check for you.

If you choose to go this route, avoid purchasing the 1.7L or 2.0L 914. Choose instead the least desirable 1.8L model - plus the cost will be less.

I'm currently doing a V6 transplant in my fourth 914 (1.8L). I bought a rough one so there's plenty of body work involved. Take a look if interested.
3d914@cox.net
"It is as if the world we perceive through our senses - that whole gorgeous and terrible pageant - were the breath-thin surface of a bubble, and everything else, inside and outside, is pure radiance. Both suffering and joy come then like a brief reflection, and death like a pin." - Stephen Mitchell
3d914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 09:58 AM   #3
cuchara red
AF Newbie

Re: crazy thought for the 914

As far as I'm concerned it's not crazy at all. I've been putting a Buick V6 in my '73 914 (ashamed to say this has been waaaay too long a project). This was actually a good choice of engine back when I started this project but I'm really wishing I'd started much more recently and had chosen another engine. I'd been wondering about how an Accura engine would work so I'll be watching for info on your build if you go that route.

ron
cuchara red is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Porsche > 914