Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > C/K
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-14-2004, 12:32 PM   #1
Scott1992
AF Newbie

Need to find a 12v power source for KC lights

Hello all- New to these forums. I just mounted a set of KC daylighters on the front of my 92 silverado, and when doing the wiring, I am supposed to find a 12 volt power source that goes on with the ignition for one of the wires. I have looked at the wiring schematic, but I can't make heads or tails of it. Can I just hook this wire to a fuse? It looks like for 1992 the pink wires are the ignition hot ones. Can anyone verify this? The diagrams say pink OR pink/black, and there are both. There are a ton of pink wires under the steering wheel/dash. Any help is GREATLY appreciated!

Scott
Scott1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 06:45 PM   #2
broughy84
AF Enthusiast

Re: Need to find a 12v power source for KC lights

does yours have a fuse box beside the column and a box with relays and power supplies on the drivers side kick panel. You can tap into any fuse or connection that is hot with the ignition on. For that matter It doesn't HAVE to be one that goes off with the switch if you have a switch on your lights. you can hook it to the battery with a fuse between the lights and the battery.

ALWAYS REMEMBER TO PUT A FUSE ON ANY ADD ON ACCESSORIES.
2004 GMC Yukon XL -- 223,000 miles

1987 Jeep Comanche -- 116,000 miles

broughy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 05:04 PM   #3
Scott1992
AF Newbie

Yes, the lights came with a wiring harness that had 2 fuses already in it, and all the necessary wiring. The problem is, the damn thing was already put together, someone must have returned it, so the protective wrap was already on it, I had to cut that. I should've sent it back for a new one, but it works anyway.

Anyway, I hooked the power wire into the wiper fuse on the fuse block under the steering wheel and everything works great. I just have to hide some wires now.

Thanks for the info.
Scott1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 03:51 PM   #4
coveteran
AF Newbie

I install aftermarket sunroofs on these vehicles. I STRONGLEY suggest using the PINK wire for the source of power. Definately use a fuse on it as well. I have been using that wire for all of the sunroof and tv install and have not had any problems
coveteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 08:03 PM   #5
kenny-1907
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to kenny-1907

I had a set of kc's on my 88 full size jimmy. I recommend running new wires directly from the battery with heavier gauge wire for the simple fact of kc's usually draw alot of power, at least mine used to. They were 150 watts each and i had an inline fuse and all and they used to draw so much current that the plastic toggle switches that i was using would melt (the one that comes with the kit) I solved this problem by using a heavy duty metal toggle. Just my 2 cents

6" Pro Comp lift
305/55/20 BFG A/T KO'S
K&N FIPK GENII
Flo Pro V force muffler & 4" slash cut stainless tips
Color matched front and rear Bowties
3" polished stainless bull bar and Nerf bars
kenny-1907 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > C/K